07 TCH - needs engine overhaul

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 04:31 AM
Enthusiast
Default 07 TCH - needs engine overhaul

Oil changed every 3 months. 150,000 miles, more than 75% highway driving. Maintained on a regular basis at local Toyota dealer. Cost (estimated) 2700.00.

I am surprised that this has happened. The value of the car is low (XLE model with extras and in good shape).

Not sure what to do. Is cost of repair reasonable. Any thoughts/comments appreciated.

Old 01-08-2017, 06:29 AM
JOAT, master of none
Default Re: 07 TCH - needs engine overhaul

I would assume that it's the same I4 engine that was in my '07 non-hybrid which I had to have rebuilt at 95k for excessive oil burning.

What happened to the engine because Toyota had a recall and would rebuild them at no or reduced cost if it we related to the oil burning issue. They put new pistons and rings in mine at no cost. Now if you had a catastrophic failure, that may be a whole different issue.

Old 01-08-2017, 06:42 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fredo48
Oil changed every 3 months. 150,000 miles, more than 75% highway driving. Maintained on a regular basis at local Toyota dealer. Cost (estimated) 2700.00.

I am surprised that this has happened. The value of the car is low (XLE model with extras and in good shape).

Not sure what to do. Is cost of repair reasonable. Any thoughts/comments appreciated.
Given that you're also likely to require a new HV battery in the near future, I'd just tow it to the salvage yard.

Originally Posted by hotrod53
I would assume that it's the same I4 engine that was in my '07 non-hybrid which I had to have rebuilt at 95k for excessive oil burning.

What happened to the engine because Toyota had a recall and would rebuild them at no or reduced cost if it we related to the oil burning issue. They put new pistons and rings in mine at no cost. Now if you had a catastrophic failure, that may be a whole different issue.
It is not. Engines are completely different.

Old 01-08-2017, 07:28 AM
Enthusiast

[well they said it needed overhaul but stated it was pistons and rings. Same dealer service, never said anything about excess oul consumption until this week and was lasted serviced 3 k miles ago in November 26.

Thanks

QUOTE=hotrod53;261606]I would assume that it's the same I4 engine that was in my '07 non-hybrid which I had to have rebuilt at 95k for excessive oil burning.

What happened to the engine because Toyota had a recall and would rebuild them at no or reduced cost if it we related to the oil burning issue. They put new pistons and rings in mine at no cost. Now if you had a catastrophic failure, that may be a whole different issue.[/QUOTE]

Old 01-08-2017, 07:43 AM

fredo, what exactly happened to your engine?
"needs engine overhaul" is rather a vague statement.
Did the engine seize? Or, they simply are saying that NOW they noticed excessive oil consumption and need to run repair kit on it?
Have you ever received letter from Toyota about excessive oil consumption test?
Was test ever done?
Does your dealer have a record of your vehicle to be under that recall? Or, what they call, warranty enhancement?
No, it is not a "completely different" engine.
The 2AZ-FXE is an Atkinson cycle variant of the 2AZ-FE. It has the same bore and stroke, but the cams and pistons are unique. It has a physical compression ratio of 12.5:1.
For the purpose of replacing pistons/rings/connecting rod bearings, as that is what they replaced on mine under recall, ANY decent mechanic can do this and even without removing engine from the car. 4cyl engine head is very easy to remove, then they drop oil pan and take pistons out from the bottom. It's about a day job.

Old 01-08-2017, 08:01 AM
JOAT, master of none

I agree with Ukrkoz, that's what and how they did mine.

As far as hybrid battery, I'll bet that you have another 50k in it, and if not, you can replace cells rather than the whole battery. Look at it this way, payments on a new one will be at least $400/ month, that equates to 6.5 months of payments to break even. You know you'll get that out of it after rebuild and still have at least some resale value.

Old 01-08-2017, 10:23 AM
Enthusiast

Took it in for 3000 mile oil change. No oil light ever came on. They said that it needed pistons and rings as it was using oil excessively - prior visit no problems. Same dealer that I bought it from and that has done most of the service (all service has been done by Toyota dealers). They have always mentioned to me if there has been a service bulletin. I received no letter from Toyota.

Old 01-08-2017, 10:31 AM
Enthusiast

They used engine overall words but said pistons and rings - 2700.00 seems like a lot. Due to documented regular service at Toyota dealer, plus the fact that there were no problems detected 3k miles ago (and no leaks), is there any chance that Toyota will be reasonable re: repair. Too bad the premium service plan I bought was not lifetime.

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
fredo, what exactly happened to your engine?
"needs engine overhaul" is rather a vague statement.
Did the engine seize? Or, they simply are saying that NOW they noticed excessive oil consumption and need to run repair kit on it?
Have you ever received letter from Toyota about excessive oil consumption test?
Was test ever done?
Does your dealer have a record of your vehicle to be under that recall? Or, what they call, warranty enhancement?
No, it is not a "completely different" engine.
The 2AZ-FXE is an Atkinson cycle variant of the 2AZ-FE. It has the same bore and stroke, but the cams and pistons are unique. It has a physical compression ratio of 12.5:1.
For the purpose of replacing pistons/rings/connecting rod bearings, as that is what they replaced on mine under recall, ANY decent mechanic can do this and even without removing engine from the car. 4cyl engine head is very easy to remove, then they drop oil pan and take pistons out from the bottom. It's about a day job.

Old 01-08-2017, 02:55 PM

Aha. So here is good news:
NOTHING IS WRONG WITH YOUR ENGINE. It is fine driveable, you simply need to learn two basic skills:
1. how to check oil level
2. how to add oil.
That's it.
From that on, you have 2 options.
1. Start hassling with Toyota directly for FREE engine overhaul. Which they should change oil, seal engine, you drive her like hell for 1200 miles, then they check on il level. If she failed - and she likely goes to - you get free overhauled engine.
2. Do nothing. Ditch that dealer, I'd not trust them, and keep adding oil. Do regular oil changes at anywhere else. You are out of any warranties anyway, so who gives if you have oil change at some Lube place.
If it fails with Toyota, you find part number for repair kit, which should be new pistons, rings and connecting rods bearings, buy it online for much less than dealer, and have job done by decently priced independent that specializes in Toyota engines.
You can, if you have fixation on that dealership, start with their Customer Satisfaction manager. If he sides with dealer, THEN you send a lengthy angry email to Toyota.
Good luck.

Old 01-08-2017, 02:55 PM

Oh, and traction battery. They do last well into 300 000 miles. Those are fine cars.

Quick Reply: 07 TCH - needs engine overhaul

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands