08" Camry Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 07:31 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default 08" Camry Hybrid

Ok, I am looking to purchase my 16 year old son a Toyota Camry Hybrid. Are they pretty safe compared to an SUV? And is the Camry Hybrid pretty quick, quicker than the Prius is for interstate merging? What about reliability? I myself have a Toyota Highlander Hybrid and I love it so I think my son will like a Camry hybrid. He said he likes the design overall.

Old 09-02-2007, 02:34 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 08" Camry Hybrid

The Camry Hybrid is a family car. I guess that would depend if you boy would like a car like that. It's powered by a 147 hp 4-cyl atkins cycle engine. The workings of the hybrid are probably the same as your Highlander. Zero to 60 times run just under 9 seconds. The car weighs 3750 lbs. I read the 2008 may be 50 lbs lighter. Those I have seen at our small local dealer and including mine, come with Michelin Energy S8 tires.

The Camry Hybrid rates 5 stars on a frontal crash. The car comes standard with side air bags. I have not read up on the other government test of the car. Although I trust Toyota to be one of the safest out there.

You ask about reliability. I have only ran though 3 tanks of gas on my new '07 TCH. This is my fourth Toyota over the years. 1977 Corolla, 1994 Corolla, 2003 Corolla and now the '07 Camry Hybrid.

The '94 never failed to start. In fact with 185,000 miles it would start before you could let go of the key.

Be smart and stick with Toyota. You save money in the long run.

I'm impressed at the high gas mileage. I had no idea just how quiet the TCH is. It's by far the quietest car I have ever owned.

This below is the most detailed site I have ever found on the car:

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/jo...Camry%20Hybrid

You can find more reviews from these sites below:

http://www.edmunds.com/

http://www.kbb.com/

Burt

Old 09-02-2007, 08:59 AM
Enthusiast
Smile Re: 08" Camry Hybrid

SUV safety is an oxymoron.

Most SUV's have fairly bad safety ratings. They just make people "feel" safe because of all the weight and the feeling of sitting above the rest of the world.

Buy him a Camry and know that he is in a really safe vehicle and is also not killing the atmosphere with CO2.

Old 09-02-2007, 09:11 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by detayls
SUV safety is an oxymoron.

Most SUV's have fairly bad safety ratings. They just make people "feel" safe because of all the weight and the feeling of sitting above the rest of the world.

Buy him a Camry and know that he is in a really safe vehicle and is also not killing the atmosphere with CO2.
He was looking at the Ford Explorer XLT 07" with the roll stability control, but I mean I don't think it will be nearly as reliable as the Camry Hybrid and even he says the camry is a much nicer car. My Highlander I think would be the perfect car for him because it's kinda a crossover SUV and has a low roll rate and the VDIM ESC system but it's too expensive. The Camry I think i perfect, not too fast, 5 star crash, and great fuel economy.

Old 09-02-2007, 09:13 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rburt07
The Camry Hybrid is a family car. I guess that would depend if you boy would like a car like that. It's powered by a 147 hp 4-cyl atkins cycle engine. The workings of the hybrid are probably the same as your Highlander. Zero to 60 times run just under 9 seconds. The car weighs 3750 lbs. I read the 2008 may be 50 lbs lighter. Those I have seen at our small local dealer and including mine, come with Michelin Energy S8 tires.

The Camry Hybrid rates 5 stars on a frontal crash. The car comes standard with side air bags. I have not read up on the other government test of the car. Although I trust Toyota to be one of the safest out there.

You ask about reliability. I have only ran though 3 tanks of gas on my new '07 TCH. This is my fourth Toyota over the years. 1977 Corolla, 1994 Corolla, 2003 Corolla and now the '07 Camry Hybrid.

The '94 never failed to start. In fact with 185,000 miles it would start before you could let go of the key.

Be smart and stick with Toyota. You save money in the long run.

I'm impressed at the high gas mileage. I had no idea just how quiet the TCH is. It's by far the quietest car I have ever owned.

This below is the most detailed site I have ever found on the car:

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/jo...Camry%20Hybrid

You can find more reviews from these sites below:

http://www.edmunds.com/

http://www.kbb.com/

Burt
Thanks, I think thats what Ill get him. If it's that good I might have to get me one , the nagging to get me one begins .

Also I know it has the Stability Control thing and the Anti-Lock brakes, have you ever had to use them before and are they pretty effective in keeping the car in control because traffic around here is a nightmare with people constantly cutting you off. Stopping and the ability to avoid something is very important.

Old 09-02-2007, 12:01 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

The TCH has the same VDIM system as your Highlander Hybrid.

Old 09-02-2007, 12:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by highlanderhybrid
Ok, I am looking to purchase my 16 year old son a Toyota Camry Hybrid. Are they pretty safe compared to an SUV? And is the Camry Hybrid pretty quick, quicker than the Prius is for interstate merging? What about reliability? I myself have a Toyota Highlander Hybrid and I love it so I think my son will like a Camry hybrid. He said he likes the design overall.
Hey, would you adopt me? I would gladly accept a new Yaris to replace my 403,000 mile Toyota Pickup!!

If you are buiying him a new car I think the TCH is an exellent choice. Not likely he will get the urge to race anybody in it and it is one of the safest cars in its class. Insurance rates may be lower than an SUV as well

Old 09-03-2007, 07:30 AM
Active Enthusiast

Father of 3 boys here...

A $27-$32K new car for a 16 year old???

It's a good choice for safety, but so are MANY other vehicles. Personally, I'd put him in something that you won't wince when it comes home with it's first "beauty mark". It's going to happen sooner or later...

Good luck!

Scott

Old 09-03-2007, 12:00 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by highlanderhybrid
Wow, a Camry Hybrid for your 16 year old? Like the other poster said, would you adopt me too!!!