09 TCH coolant leak

Old 12-12-2013, 04:11 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 09 TCH coolant leak

Update:
The local dealer replaced water pump today, still under the five year power train warranty. Although mine expired a few days ago. I talked to the guy, who said it usually cost $400-$450 for this kind of repair, including two hours labor and parts.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like a winner....

Old 12-12-2013, 08:06 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hardcopy
Thank you guys. Following ukrkoz's picture in Post #6, I found more "leak" residues right in pulley/belt centrifugal force path, just as ukrkoz said.

My car will go to the dealer tomorrow. The concern is that my 5 year power train warranty just expires five days (Dec 6th) ago.

Anyway, thank you guys again. This forum is really, really helpful!
truly, folks like Georgeahybrid make the most of it.
Glad you figured it - and caught right on time.

Old 10-02-2014, 02:25 PM
Active Enthusiast

Old thread, but need some experience. Water pump and warranty, I'm 5 weeks over 5 years and just went over 60,000 miles driving from Denver on Monday (Sept 29). Changed the oil today and noticed the cooland return tank a little low and checked to see if waterpump leaking and did find the pink stuff around that area. Since this has obviously been leaking for a while, what do you think the chances of getting this done under warranty would be?? Slim to none?!?

Old 10-02-2014, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator

I think you have your odds just about right.....slim and none.....

Old 10-03-2014, 08:13 AM
Active Enthusiast

The nearest dealer is about 60 miles away and I'll stop in there early next week and see what they have to say. If they won't do under warranty, I'll do myself or take to a local shop to have replaced. As i get older the less and less I find myself doing my own fixing! Local shop is probably cheaper than the dealer anyways....

Old 10-03-2014, 08:44 AM
Active Enthusiast

Found this article on-line published in Nov 2012. Perhaps there is a small chance yet dealer might replace ... we'll find out next week.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...sues/index.htm

Old 10-03-2014, 09:16 AM
Active Enthusiast

I keep answering my own posts, but did call the dealer and they said won't do under warranty. The service tech also said that a little leakage (not wet, perhaps a little pink staining, but hasn't slinged on the hood yet) doesn't warrant immediate repacement. He indicated to add coolant to the resorvoir and keep an eye on it and listen for abnormal sounds. If it starts to sling under hood or bearing sound than replace immediately. Think I'll check with the local mechanic shop I've used on other vehicles for their price Dealer cost to change out $413.80 including tax. $27 for a gallon of 50/50 pink coolant if I want to add to the resorvoir and perhaps buy some more time.

Old 10-03-2014, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

I think that recall is for the electric water pump only.

Old 10-03-2014, 01:50 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks ... keep forgetting we have two different pumps on our hybrids! I see in your stickly post on replacing the gas engine water pump that you used the GMB 170-2470 (mine is a 2009) ... that is significantly less than the OEM pump by $90 to $100 or about 1/4th the cost. Does that much cheaper mean less quality or when buying an OEM are you just paying the addtional bucks for the name and not really getting any better quality? Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 09 TCH coolant leak

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands