100,000+ Miles Reviews--How was your Experience?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 07:12 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 100,000+ Miles Reviews--How was your Experience?

This is all quite reassuring information! Thank you to everyone who has posted!

Old 04-13-2009, 07:17 PM
Active Enthusiast

I agree! This is great information. I hope others will contribute as time passes. We only have 26K on an 07. The future looks bright

Thanks!!

Bill

Old 11-28-2011, 09:22 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I just popped 100k on my 07.

I don't want to speak without knocking on wood first, so I will..one sec.

Ok, the car has been great with only known or minor issues. In fact I have not been on the forums for quite a bit, since the car was just trekking along with no issues

The good:
*Drives like the day we brought it home from the dealership.
*Everything works. Not electronic malfunctions.
*Original Battery.
*Original front brakes (60 % left) Rear brakes got changed at 99K and were almost toast on the inside, outside pads had 40% left?
*One, if not the best cars I have owned, and I have owned 3 Toyota's and 7 Honda's
* Still has consistent gas mileage.
* Still pleased with the power even after one point in my life saying I would never buy another 4-banger again. Now I own 2
*Car is still as tight on the road as day one. Rear struts are starting to show their age though.

The bad
*With the new Camry Hybrid out and several other FE cars my tank average of 35-37 is not all that impressive anymore.
***** RATTLES. Back deck rattles like crazy even after going to Toyota and asking them to tear it down and fix it 3 different time. Front dash has started to squeak / rattle a good bit with age. I turn the radio up, which just makes the back deck rattle more

Impressions

Would I buy another new Camry Hybrid? Maybe. I plan on keeping this car for a bit longer since it is close to being paid off and we paid almost 30K out the door for it. We are the perfect people for buying a hybrid as we drive back roads to work everyday in it 60 miles. Unfortuanatly, I not a number nerd so I have no clue how much the car has saved us exactly, but my rough estimate compared to a 4 banger XLE we have saved about $3500 in fuel costs. Since we did get the government check for 2K. We have knocked $5500 off the sticker price of $27500 making it the price of a base LE. So we are continuing to reduce that number the more that we drive it. I have always compared the price of our car to a base XLE (4 Banger without leather) since that is what mine is minus the sunroof, adding Keyless start and VSC.

I would recommend one to any of my friends. If I bought another one it would be new, since I want to know that my extreme care has been given to it all of it's life. That is worth something in itself.

Items replaced:
40K - Steering rack under warranty
70K - Water pump due to a leak. Replaced under extended factory warranty
75K - Both rear JBL speakers replaced. Right one was blown.
99K - Rear brakes.

I will keep everyone informed

Old 11-29-2011, 01:59 PM
Professor Emeritus

I bought our 2008 used. But, we have put a ton of miles on it since then. It is basically a "tool" for us and our long commute of 800 to 1000 miles per week. As of today it is sitting at 107,236 miles. No real serious issues as of yet. A couple things have come up that will need attention soon though.

1. Clunking in front end while moving slowly. Probably strut tower bearings/bushings or sway bar end links.

2. Rattle coming from passengers side engine compartment while accelerating and engine on. Probably idler or tension-er pulley bearing going bad. When in E-mode the noise is not there. So, it must be an accesory belt pulley problem (I hope). I really hope it is not a timing chain tensioner problem like the ones that plagued the old 20R and 22R motors.

3. One time I had a really rough start after moving the car several times without allowing it to warm up. Sounded like it was running on 2 cylinders. It only happened 1 time about 15,000 miles ago and has not happened since? Future problem??

I learned a few weeks ago that the plugs in the car are obsolete and there is a new part # for the iridium plugs. No problems or changes after installing the new plugs. Supposedly they cannot get the IFR6A-11's anymore. I had to put IFR6T-11's in there.

I did the PSD fluid change myself at around 76,000 miles. Now that I am over 100,000 I am planning on doing SLL coolant changes on both cooling systems. I need to read up on that.

Ours has not had all the rattle issues that lots of people complain about on here. It had a few when I bought it. I fixed them at that time and none have returned (the usuals). HOWEVER I noticed one inside the drivers door today!

Would I buy it again? Probably not... I was hoping for a little better MPG. But, it is not bad for "what it is". The Comfort to MPG level is pretty high on this car. The fit and finish problems on this car are completely unacceptable in my opinion. I would not buy a Camry again for this one reason.

I came from a MB Diesel. I will probably go back to that or go with a Lexus Hybrid. I will be looking for another car again around the end of 2012.

Edit:

Our 2008 still has the original brakes (plenty left), battery and water pump. I have done nothing but oil changes, oil filters, air filters, etc...

UPDATE:

Water pump failed at 114,783 miles. I DIY'ed the water pump. Not that difficult. Used NAPA pump and Toyota sealant and coolant. Total cost to replace was around $150.

Last edited by litespeed; 03-12-2012 at 07:05 AM.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:11 AM
Enthusiast

I am now at 270,000km or 167,000miles. I just did the front brakes, the rear brakes were done at 140K miles. That's it. The pinging went away when I had the plugs replaced. The car still looks and drives like new. No rattles. Lifetime average is 6.3L/100km or 37mpg US gallon or 45mpg for imperial gallons. Mileage is constant.
I do my own oil changes. Everything else is done by the dealer when it is due. Very little maintenance costs. I would definitely buy another one.
My goal is minimum 500k km. I was told by the service rep at the dealer there is a Camry taxi locally that was at 763k km 463k miles with no issues. He had 2 Prius taxis with over 1million km, also no issues.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:26 PM

I have about 62000 on my 07. Outside of the water pump being replaced under warranty it's been going strong. Gas mileage is right about 35 - 36 mpg. I have noticed that the traction battery doesn't stay charged as long. It depletes much quicker now. That may be because I always tried to stay in EV mode when possible for the first couple of years I owned it. I rarely, if ever, intentionally put it in EV mode.

All in all it's been a good car and I've been pleased with it.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:18 AM
Professor Emeritus

Originally Posted by tnsig
I have about 62000 on my 07. Outside of the water pump being replaced under warranty it's been going strong. Gas mileage is right about 35 - 36 mpg. I have noticed that the traction battery doesn't stay charged as long. It depletes much quicker now. That may be because I always tried to stay in EV mode when possible for the first couple of years I owned it. I rarely, if ever, intentionally put it in EV mode.

All in all it's been a good car and I've been pleased with it.
Thats interesting. I force EV mode as much as I can if the speeds allow for it. Especially in our neighborhood or in the inner city. I have noticed no noticeable change in the traction battery capacity.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by litespeed
Thats interesting. I force EV mode as much as I can if the speeds allow for it. Especially in our neighborhood or in the inner city. I have noticed no noticeable change in the traction battery capacity.
I wonder how much environment plays in the battery life? I notice you live in Florida, where I assume the climate is not often cold. Maybe the other poster lives in a cold northern climate. I tried Google Maps, but I was unable to locate "out there somewhere".

Old 12-21-2011, 04:10 PM
Enthusiast

I bought my TCH used with 4000 miles on it. The gentleman who sold it to me got rid of it because he had just sold his company and was taking early retirement. This meant a big motorhome and he did not want to tow a trailer. I also think he compared the TCH to his car which was an Audi A8 and that is not a fair comparison. I now have 102,000 miles on it and aside from normal preventive maintenance, it has not been in the shop. I bought a lifetime oil change for it and it allows for a free oil and filter change every three thousand miles. Since the normal interval is around 5 thousand, I change the oil around 4 to 5 thousand. I have replaced the struts and had a brake job and that is the extent of maintenance costs.(also two sets of Michelin tires)

I logged on to see if I could get some feedback on other peoples TCHs after 100,000 miles and it seems I am leading the pack. The car gets mixed use with my wife driving it everyday around town and then both of us taking it from Tucson to Carmel, CA or to Lyle, WA several times a year. My milage around town runs around 35 (my wife is referred to as "leadfoot Linda") and around 39 on the highway. ( I drive at 65mph and let the cruise control handle the speed). I also carry 35psi in both front and rear.
The car is parked outside but still looks brand new due to frequent waxing. Everything in the interior still works like new but I have not upgraded the maps in the Nav because I would not be able to get into the override mode if I did and that means I would have to stop to have my wife set in a new destination. The leather upholstery had held up nicely despite carrying a 45 pound English Setter on all the trips.

I have noticed a little hesitation sometimes when the car goes from the electric mode to the ICE mode and I suspect that when I change the plugs at 120,000 miles this will go away.

As you can probably tell, I am extremely satisfied with this car and intend to keep it as long as it remains viable. If anything else comes up, I will file another report.

Last edited by ftrplt; 12-21-2011 at 04:14 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by ftrplt
I have replaced the struts and had a brake job and that is the extent of maintenance costs.(also two sets of Michelin tires)
All 4 struts? Why? I suspect mine is getting a little bit floaty. Is yours better with the new struts?

I am also now at 102,000 and I am tweaking the last bit of miles out of my second set of tires.

Quick Reply: 100,000+ Miles Reviews--How was your Experience?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands