100,000+ Miles Reviews--How was your Experience?

Old 01-16-2015, 02:52 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 100,000+ Miles Reviews--How was your Experience?

Originally Posted by misermiester
2008 Camry Hybrid, 104,000
One driveline was replaced and the water pump at about 60k. Otherwise routine maintenance. This has been a one owner that was serviced at the same Toyota dealer all it's life going through all those million point inspections with them looking hard for anything to make some money one! I've got all the paperwork and ran the carfax as well. Fully loaded, power leather heated seats, moonroof, tilt/telescoping wheel, etc.
Runs, drives, looks like new. Only issue is the Factory over engineered JBL stereo/nav unit, which will hopefully be resolved soon?!

Learning how to TRY and truly average 40+ MPG is a full time job! I can get 50 MPG on my 2006 Prius, no block heater, no mods. Driving this TCH requires constant peddle feathering and will likely require a block heater to break 40 MPG. Honestly there is TOO much ICE! Toyota could have put a 2.0 or likely even a 1.8 out of a Corolla with the electric motors. They probably would have had room to use 1 electric motor instead of 2 as well?

I understand that lead foots want power when they're test driving cars, but Hybrid owners will trade some for Fuel Economy, I know I would! I had a 96 Camry 4 cyl, w/OD auto that I could get over 30 MPG and a 2002 Camry 4 cyl/5spd that I could average 33 MPG with. I'm on the verge of ticking off other drivers behind me and this is maybe 36-37 MPG avg. so far, what's the point? I really like the way it looks and drives, but if I can't get 40 MPG it's not what I signed up for. I could get a Corolla S and do BETTER! I'm 6'4" and Corolla's are roomy enough for me, the leg room leaves a bit to be desired in this as well, the middle console from arm rest to the stereo is 2" too wide and squeezes into space I could use!

Didn't mean for this to turn into a rant, it's just feedback from the trenches. This is a great car, but I've definitely found room for improvement that should have been taken care of before these were put into production. Doesn't make any sense to me to spend hundreds of millions of dollars into engineering Hybrid technologies and then just add electric motors wherever they can stuff them in to the stock motor on these. They should have just took what is proven in the Prius and added maybe 15% more displacement to the motor to accommodate the added weight and diminished aerodynamics. These would have plenty of power and Avg 44-45 MPG!

Neyhhow that's a Hybrid!
The earlier hybrids were rated 33 city 34 highway. You are getting great mileage for this time of year. It will get better during the warmer months.

Old 01-17-2015, 05:14 AM
Veracitorian Muser

Originally Posted by misermiester
Learning how to TRY and truly average 40+ MPG is a full time job! I can get 50 MPG on my 2006 Prius, no block heater, no mods. Driving this TCH requires constant peddle feathering and will likely require a block heater to break 40 MPG. Honestly there is TOO much ICE! Toyota could have put a 2.0 or likely even a 1.8 out of a Corolla with the electric motors. They probably would have had room to use 1 electric motor instead of 2 as well?!
My 2007 did 36-38 with no effort, other than leaving it in eco drive mode. With effort, I could get over 46 (entire tank). The parallel-serial hybrid system that all Toyotas and Fords and a few others use (Volt, the new Accord, etc.) require two electric motors to work at all. The motors determines the effective gear ratio of the planetary gears.

Two years ago I replaced my TCH with the Lexus ES hybrid, which uses the exact same drivetrain as the Camry hybrid. Seven years newer, in a significantly larger car (the ES and the Avalon are the same size now), and my mileage has improved about 2 MPG on average.

Old 01-17-2015, 05:55 AM
Enthusiast

Altitude and climate make a big difference.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:27 AM
Enthusiast

yeah I have mastered the 2nd gen Prius Hypermiling, the computer reliably stays between 50.2 and 50.3, when I do the math at the pump I'm above 49 depending on the weather.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:35 PM
Enthusiast

2010 TCH: I just passed 100K miles recently. Bought the car used about 2 1/2 years ago. So far just regular maintenance. By the last oil change it was down about a quart. I'm watching it closely now and will probably try the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum at the next oil change. Very happy with it. It's reliable and runs well.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:50 PM
Active Enthusiast

I see my post back in 2009 is still a popular question! I am flattered.

We finally hit our 100,000 mile mark and we are now at 109000 miles. Our 2007 is running terrific! Out of all those miles we had only one problem. A front steering ball joint needed to be replaced at 60,000. It has been a perfect car for us!

For being 8 years old, it still feels like a classy car to drive.

Cheers!

HyCamBill

Old 07-18-2015, 06:38 PM
Enthusiast

The car has reached 635000 klms, averaging 8,7l/100klms towing a 640kg trailer most of the time. Unloaded we have got 5.6l/100klms, but we dont drive it gently. Unloaded figure is mainly highway on cruise with a/c on. We replaced the drivetrain at around 600000klm, main battery was done at 400000.

Old 07-19-2015, 06:57 AM
Active Enthusiast

08 yukon 147000
Running strong just replaced original front brakes !!! Wow .
Minor electrical issue now .the park assistance light is on and get to turn off and the radio station control on the radio screen dissappear after 10 mph ???? Any thoughts on those two items would be great .love the truck plan on keeping till 300000 if body and machanics hold up..

Old 07-19-2015, 07:10 AM
Professor Emeritus

Huh?

Old 07-19-2015, 08:38 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

He's just showing off in Toyota Hybrid forum with GM product telling us how great it is. Hard to believe but maybe. I have seen those that run and run.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 100,000+ Miles Reviews--How was your Experience?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands