12v battery and air conditioner

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 12:33 PM
Enthusiast
Default 12v battery and air conditioner

I just changed my 2007 TCH 12v battery with an Optima Yellow Top D35 at the advice of this forum. Everything works great EXCEPT the air conditioner. Any ideas about the problem? Is this battery too small to push the AC? Appreciate any help.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: 12v battery and air conditioner

Your AC system is not run by the 12 V battery, it runs off of the traction battery. What is the issue with your AC system?

Old 08-05-2015, 06:09 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid
Your AC system is not run by the 12 V battery, it runs off of the traction battery. What is the issue with your AC system?
Thanks for your interest georgiahybrid. Worked fine before I changed my battery. After I changed my battery the air is no longer cool. Fan works but no longer cold. Could just be a coincidence that the ac failed when I changed the battery. What do you think?

Old 08-05-2015, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator

Could be several things that caused it. Low pressure in system, compressor clutch, the second fan on your radiator (the AC will not run if that fan is disabled). fuse, relay or even something simple like a loose connection. I would look first to the AC relay and make sure you are getting power at that location. If the relay is good, start checking system pressure and the clutch to eliminate those items. After that, break out your meter as you will need to start checking a lot of things...

Old 08-06-2015, 03:01 PM
Enthusiast

I know very little about cars in general. So do you have suggestion about how to find out how to check out some of this things?

Old 08-06-2015, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

I hate to be brutally honest here but you are in over your head. Between this post and your other posts with problems you have created, you need to have someone with a Techstream or other pro level scan tool that KNOWS what they are doing look at the car before you really screw something up.

It might cost you something but would be a LOT cheaper than the way you are headed right now.

Old 08-06-2015, 04:44 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid
I hate to be brutally honest here but you are in over your head. Between this post and your other posts with problems you have created, you need to have someone with a Techstream or other pro level scan tool that KNOWS what they are doing look at the car before you really screw something up.

It might cost you something but would be a LOT cheaper than the way you are headed right now.
I agree with your assessment of my abilities.

Old 08-07-2015, 06:55 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

he's wishing you well. For starters, I bet you did not have 12V back up supply connected to 12 battery terminals, when you were doing battery swap, right? As we had one of the owners TCH go nuts after that happened and it cost him over $500 to clear the mess by dealer.
David, it's electric compressor. Does it even have clutch? I saw schematics, didn't see any.
But anyhow. If it worked right before battery swap and quit right after, I'd blaim some software glitch on it. Due to temporary loss of 12V supply to some vital systems, like ECM.
I hope it's simple system reflash but either way - it's dealer job. I wouldn't be giving this away to anyone even with a grand scanner. Tech needs to be trained in those matters and Toyota trained.

Old 08-07-2015, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

ukrkoz,

Good catch, no clutch on that compressor... I work on too much stuff.....
And I'm getting old and senile....

Old 08-08-2015, 07:19 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

No, you great guy David and immense helper. We alll appreciate and value this.