2 years in, the dealers still don't 'get' the TCH is not just a Camry

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 06:52 AM
it's just a car...
Default 2 years in, the dealers still don't 'get' the TCH is not just a Camry

Here's a message I sent to my local dealer manager today:

Please clarify a technical question for me.
Does the manufacturer recommend going from full synthetic to “bulk oil”, running the “bulk oil” 5,000 miles at a time and switching to full synthetic?

When it took my Toyota Camry Hybrid in for its initial service at the Clarksville Dealership, I was told the TCH was a new model and the Clarksville Service Department could not provide full synthetic oil and suggested that I purchase the oil locally and have it changed myself.
That’s what I did until some time later, when I was told by the service rep that the Clarksville Service Department could provide the full synthetic oil. I directed them to use the full synthetic.
When I went to pick up my car after service, I noted that the Clarksville dealer had affixed a sticker showing that I should return for service sooner than the expected 5,000 interval.
I went back in and asked if they’d used the synthetic oil as requested and was told they had and that I could ignore the note on the sticker.

Since then, I asked for the full synthetic each time the car was serviced.

This morning, when I went in for the 35,000 mile service and requested the full synthetic, the gentleman behind the counter told me that if I had them use the full synthetic, I could not go back to “bulk oil”.
I had him repeat the phrase “bulk oil” to be sure I understood what he was saying and asked him why he brought that up.
He said my service record showed that all they had ever put in my TCH was “bulk oil” and that he was trying to be “honest” with me.

I asked why I could not use the full synthetic.
He said I was “not listening to him” and that he could use the full synthetic today but that I would not be able to “go back”.
At that point, I realized he was unable to understand that I had always used the full synthetic before someone at Joe Heitz ignored my instructions and used the “bulk oil”.
I left the TCH with him expecting him to use the full synthetic.

I admit that I do not understand what the gentleman was telling me today about not being able to “go back”.
Didn’t your service department already “go back’ when they made the decision to put in the “bulk oil” in spite of my instructions?

Last edited by vioarc; 09-13-2008 at 07:38 PM.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:38 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2 years in, the dealers still don't 'get' the TCH is not just a Camry

First of all, I do not believe it would make much difference switching between synthetic and "normal" oil. I'm not an expert by any means, but from what I remember reading, originally there was a problem with seals when using synthetic oil, but since then my understanding is that the seals had been improved. Also, it seems to me the current so called "synthetic" oil is not really synthetic in the full meaning of that word, but rather similar to regular oil, just higher quality. The way I understand it is the real synthetic oil, is not compatible with normal oil and therefore could create problems, but most of the synthetic oils on the market today are not really synthetic but with the same specs, otherwise how would you explain the fact you can buy Semi synthetic, or synthetic blend oil from Castrol and other companies? If they can mix synthetic and mineral oil, why shouldn't you?
As far as the dealer lying to you I think you should have keep their advice and change your own oil, I do. Did they charge extra for synthetic? Because that would be some thing on the border of fraud and they would owe you a refund.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:41 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2 years in, the dealers still don't 'get' the TCH is not just a Camry

I don't trust the dealers so I supply my own oil and insist that I be allowed to watch it be added to the car. I chose to use a half synthetic blend.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:21 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vioarc
When it took my Toyota Camry Hybrid in for its initial service at the Clarksville Dealership, I was told ...the Clarksville Service Department could not provide full synthetic oil and suggested that I purchase the oil locally and have it changed myself.
When I took my '08 TCH in for it's initial service I was also told by the customer service rep at the Massachusetts dealership (which bragged about having three tech's fully certified on Toyota Hybrids) that they didn't have full synthetic oil and further as far as he knew, it didn't even exist.

I pointed out I could buy it at a number of locations including Walmart. Rather than argue with him I told him to just use whatever oil Toyota recommended and that in the future I'd do my own oil changes.

While I was waiting, he came out with a bottle and told me "gosh...it IS fully synthetic."

It's fine...it's just disappointing these days how you need to know more than the people who are supposed to be experts.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:01 PM
it's just a car...

When I picked up my TCH after the 35,000 mile service I noted that they had put a sticker on the inside of the windshield reminding me to change the oil in 3,000 miles...

Old 09-12-2008, 01:32 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vioarc
When I picked up my TCH after the 35,000 mile service I noted that they had put a sticker on the inside of the windshield reminding me to change the oil in 3,000 miles...
Three years then end of Sept and never had mine back to stealers. They will rob you blind and damage your car. years ago I worked for a stealer (a very honest one reputation wise) From what I saw go on they were crooks, so I wonder what the other ones are like???

Old 09-12-2008, 02:17 PM
Active Enthusiast

My Speedee Oil Change shop offers Mobile1 5w20 synthetic, so I use that. I am in california so I don't bother with 0w20

Old 09-12-2008, 02:25 PM
The Regenerator

The oil is "Mobil" -- no "e" in the end.

"Mobile" is a city in Alabama (or a thing you hang over your baby's crib)...

Old 09-12-2008, 03:03 PM
Active Enthusiast

Sorry I have offended you.

Old 09-12-2008, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

That's OK Backup, A lot of those guys that live just over the border from LA in P'Cola get a little testy about spelling.....

Quick Reply: 2 years in, the dealers still don't 'get' the TCH is not just a Camry

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands