20,000 Mile Service - What Should It Cost?

Old 12-20-2008, 10:28 AM
Enthusiast
Question 20,000 Mile Service - What Should It Cost?

I was wondering what should I expect my 20,000 mile service should cost me from my Toyota dealership?

The reason I ask is, when I had my 5,000 & 10,000 service done by Toyota, it was reasonable. I can't remember exactly, but it was in the range of $60 to $80. But when I made a appointment for my 15,000 I didn't stop to ask what the cost was going to be and when I showed up and signed the estimate at the beginning before service I was shocked that it came in at $250+. I was so dumfounded, shocked and embarrassed , that I just signed it since I needed the service, I was there and didn't want to go hunting for someone else to do the service that day. The only thing that they did that was different from the prior services was rotate the tires. What really got me was even though they were already charging that much for a simple service, they also charged me extra to top off the windshield washer fluid! I guess they figured that they had a sucker on the hook. Obviously I should have spoken up at the time, so that was my fault.

Well, this time I am going to ASK when I go to make an appointment, what the cost is going to be. And if the cost is high, what are they going to do for that amount of money.

So my question to all of you is, what do you pay Toyota to do your 20,000 mile service? What should I expect to pay and what should they be doing for my 20,000 mile service?

Thanks for all of your help on this!

Rod

Old 12-20-2008, 11:17 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 20,000 Mile Service - What Should It Cost?

Get in the habit of reading the manual to see what is needed.
The dealer will charge you an arm and a leg for extra (as in, not needed) stuff.
Go to a local shop, rather than the dealer, to do what ever routine maintenance is needed

The dealer is an independent business person, they are NOT Toyota. Their goal is to make money. They will tell you that you need things that aren't required.
Caveat emptor

The only required maintenance at 20K is oil and rotation and just inspect the usual stuff.
A local garage should charge $75

Last edited by haroldo; 12-20-2008 at 11:59 AM.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:59 AM
Enthusiast
Talking Re: 20,000 Mile Service - What Should It Cost?

On my 2009 TCH I purchased a lifetime balance & rotation at my trusted tire store for $79.00. My lifetime oil change at the DEALER is FREE. I don't expect to pay the dealer ANYTHING unless there is something major and I have warranty and extended warranty for that which I paid only $800.00 for 100,000 miles.

Old 12-20-2008, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by rodsouza
I was wondering what should I expect my 20,000 mile service should cost me from my Toyota dealership?

The reason I ask is, when I had my 5,000 & 10,000 service done by Toyota, it was reasonable. I can't remember exactly, but it was in the range of $60 to $80. But when I made a appointment for my 15,000 I didn't stop to ask what the cost was going to be and when I showed up and signed the estimate at the beginning before service I was shocked that it came in at $250+. I was so dumfounded, shocked and embarrassed , that I just signed it since I needed the service, I was there and didn't want to go hunting for someone else to do the service that day. The only thing that they did that was different from the prior services was rotate the tires. What really got me was even though they were already charging that much for a simple service, they also charged me extra to top off the windshield washer fluid! I guess they figured that they had a sucker on the hook. Obviously I should have spoken up at the time, so that was my fault.

Well, this time I am going to ASK when I go to make an appointment, what the cost is going to be. And if the cost is high, what are they going to do for that amount of money.

So my question to all of you is, what do you pay Toyota to do your 20,000 mile service? What should I expect to pay and what should they be doing for my 20,000 mile service?

Thanks for all of your help on this!

Rod
My dealership just sent out a coupon with an oil change and tire rotation (as well as check the brakes, top off fluids, and check the battery) for $20.09 plus tax. But normally I think it is something around $40. (I usually do the oil change myself and go to a local shop for the tire rotation < $20.)

What in the world did they do for $250??

A gallon of wiper fluid (the good kind) is < $4.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:32 AM

If you're going to have the dealer do the serving the best procedure is to have the service writer document, BEFOREHAND, what is to be done and what the cost is to be. Also be sure the service writer KNOWS you are to be contacted before and additional work is to be done.

But the problem with that is you may find "CHEAPSKATE", or the like (or WORSE) written on the inside of the engine compartment.

Old 12-22-2008, 02:34 PM
HSD Organic Interface

My dealer has one of these periodic "extra" service packages that they try to hit me up for. For around $250-$300 they'll add stuff that can make sense, like tire rotation, but have loads of extras like re-balance tires, fill all fluids, lick wiper blades clean (replace if they don't taste nice), and generally inspect everything inspectable. On a fairly new car 80% of this stuff is unneeded. If you drive in with an old POS with fluids leaking all over the place, wiper blades falling to pieces, shoddy tires / badly out of balance, burnt out bulbs, etc than maybe, just maybe its worthwhile. Otherwise, as haroldo says, read the manual, then tell them to do exactly that and no more, unless you have a specific complaint or concern. I've found a lot of the inspection that's included in their package, they'll do for free if you mention it as a separate concern as in "while you're rotating my tires, can you tell me how much brake life is left in the pads", etc.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:58 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wwest
If you're going to have the dealer do the serving the best procedure is to have the service writer document, BEFOREHAND, what is to be done and what the cost is to be. Also be sure the service writer KNOWS you are to be contacted before and additional work is to be done.

But the problem with that is you may find "CHEAPSKATE", or the like (or WORSE) written on the inside of the engine compartment.
As opposed to the 'Sucker' being written on the forehead?

Seriously, grabbing your ankles in response to the dealer's fraud attempt, just not to be regarded as a 'cheapskate' seems like a fool's gambit.

Sort of like signing up for one of the 'slick 50' reams at a certain lube joint.

Old 12-23-2008, 03:24 AM

Before we ridicule all of the dealer's customers...many people are uncomfortable at a local garage. There is definitely a value (that some will love to pay) to have the car checked completely by someone that they trust (even though it's uncertain if it's been earned). In any event, some consumers like to have peace of mind and don't mind parting with a few bucks to attain it.
Me, I'm cheap (two kids in college), so I bring the car to Mike.

Old 12-23-2008, 06:19 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by haroldo
Before we ridicule all of the dealer's customers...many people are uncomfortable at a local garage. There is definitely a value (that some will love to pay) to have the car checked completely by someone that they trust (even though it's uncertain if it's been earned). In any event, some consumers like to have peace of mind and don't mind parting with a few bucks to attain it.
Not really ridiculing anyone - just pointing out the obvious:
The dealer's financial interests and the customer's are often in opposition. Some dealers (and non-dealer service outfits) are more ethically impaired than others, and strive to maximize their revenues by selling unnecessary (and in some cases harmful, e.g. trans flushes or injector flushes) "services". For maintenance requirements, the owners' manual and the maintenance schedule pamphlet are the 'golden source' for what is required to give your car a life longer than most people will have the patience to take advantage of. The only thing that "services" over and above these requirements are going to accomplish is a transfer of more money to the dealer's bank account.

FWIW, Florida has a legal requirement for all service tickets over $50 to have a written estimate, with a secondary requirement to have explicit approval for overages. The challenge to the 'service writer' to explain and itemize proposed services and itemize them, and cross-reference the same to the factory recommendation is simply looking out for your own fiscal interests. And the 'service writer' is not going to do that in consistent fashion. If they get huffy being required to comply with legal requirements indicates that they are NOT to be trusted.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by haroldo
Before we ridicule all of the dealer's customers...many people are uncomfortable at a local garage. There is definitely a value (that some will love to pay) to have the car checked completely by someone that they trust (even though it's uncertain if it's been earned).

In any event, some consumers like to have peace of mind and don't mind parting with a few bucks to attain it.

Misplaced peace of mind.....

Most dealers, certainly those with "rip-off" in the forefront of their mind, and we should toss in most single marque shops, Lexus, Infiniti, etc, use McD graduates to perform almost all routine inspection and scheduled maintainance procedures.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 20,000 Mile Service - What Should It Cost?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands