2007 TCH Death Rattle Upon ICE Start

Old 12-07-2015, 07:36 PM
Enthusiast
Default 2007 TCH Death Rattle Upon ICE Start

4 years ago my 2007 TCH made a horrible rattle upon starting. It sounded like someone was banging a metal trash can with a screwdriver. It was fixed (it didn't do it again until last weekend, 4 years later) by replacing the rings and what-not due to "oil consumption". My car is still under the "Enhanced Warranty" due to the engine oil consumption issues. I was just wondering, however, if anyone has gotten a definitive diagnosis to the "death rattle", as I've read numerous posts about it, but have not found someone who has actually had a true diagnosis. In the case of my car, it was assumed to be the known engine issues and the repairs were completed under warranty, but no one ever absolutely confirmed the issue. It's going to the dealer tomorrow to start its oil consumption testing. By the way, it was low on oil last Sunday, but this morning when it rattled like a caged animal, it was not. I love this car. Thanks for any input anyone may have.

Old 12-08-2015, 07:42 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2007 TCH Death Rattle Upon ICE Start

That rattle you refer to is identical to what we had twice on son's Infinity and that was caused by low oil level and clogged oil passages. Identical. We got it fixed on his car by cleaning oil passages and switching to heavier oil and he's hawking the oil level.
Mine did same several times and I figured that if I turn system on and sit and wait till ICE actually starts, before moving, it will never happen.
Running under oil consumption test myself. I drive her like a sports car now, I do not mind having new pistons and rings replaced for free. Hope she won't pass the test.