2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid (TCH) Check Hybrid System Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 12:18 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid (TCH) Check Hybrid System Question

Never heard good or bad. They're clearly regional to Texas.

That's likely for a Prius battery.

While the dealer installed batteries are 36 months, for non-dealer installed batteries, the warranty is only 12 months. Of course, the warranty is fairly moot. One should expect significant life out of a new battery. Prius battery failure rates after 48 months is 1 in 333.

Yeah... it's $2,700 for a Prius.

http://www.hometownhybrids.com/batteries/pricing-table

"$CALL" for a Camry battery.

Their list prices are about $500 off each other, so ~$3,200 for Camry would be about right.

Given that you're not in a listed service area, shipping would obviously factor in as well as an additional installation cost as they're going to have to pay someone in your area to do it.

Since you've done the installation and removal yourself, you really ought to call around to dealers. List is about $3000, so they should sell it to you for that + tax.

I can't tell you how many complaints I've heard from folks dealing with people in other regions. One lady here in AZ with a Camry had 3 failures in the warranty period with an outfit based out of Florida. Due to their warranty, she was responsible for 1 way shipping each time and the labor associated with each swap. When I spoke with her, she had shelled out another $500 in shipping and installation charges.

I would encourage you to exhaust your local options before looking outside your region.

Falcon Hybrids is in NJ, but there are some horror stories. One in particular - most of the terminal nuts on one side were only finger-tight and the battery caught fire likely due to increased internal resistance due to the multiple bad connections.

Good luck,

Steve

Old 07-11-2016, 07:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

After a local tech hooked the car up to his professional OBD II instrument we noticed the battery voltages held steady. I had him reset the codes today and car runs like a charm after 3 restarts. Hope it stays that way. If anything changes I'll let y'all know. Lesson for all Camry Hybrid owners: Do not leave your car idle for more than three days in a row, especially if the battery has over 100,000 miles.

Old 07-11-2016, 08:24 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

While you no doubt have good intentions, your specific recommendation has no practical value and should be ignored. I've let a 2003 Gen1 Prius with a rebuilt battery sit for 2 months with zero issues... well... I had to charge the 12V.

If a battery deteriorates from 3 days of sitting, it is absolutely, positively on the verge of failure. A healthy battery should be able to sit for 1-2 months with no real issues, though all would benefit from a grid charge prior to startup.

In many instances block voltages will hold steady, but when loaded and capacity is consumed to a lower state of charge, weak blocks will fall off dramatically due to a failed cell.

Regardless, I hope you avoid battery replacement for a while longer.

Good luck,

Steve