2007 toyota camry hybrid Transmission (CVT) FLUID?

Old 12-05-2010, 08:35 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2007 toyota camry hybrid Transmission (CVT) FLUID?

neither do i. i already replaced plugs at 52K.

something tells me CVTs are not that easy to service as it appears to be though, judging from what others had to do with VWs, who was about the 1st to claim lifetime fluid life for their CVTs.
I'll confirm with a buddy of mine, he has Alldata access; he did VW CVTs before. Personally, i'll be very careful with DIYing this w-out proper knowledge. and this is coming from a guy who is DIY or die.

btw, where's CVT dipstick on this thing?

Old 12-05-2010, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator

There is no dipstick. The PSD (this is not a CVT) is checked like an old manual transmission or diff. Looking at the PSD, there is a "fill" plug at the 9:00 o'clock position. Take it out and the fluid should be at or with .5mm of the top.

Changing it is simple. Do a search on it in this forum.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:05 AM

got it. power splitting device. thank you. drain and refill. anyone knows FULL fluid volume? not just drain/refill one?

Toyota hybrids technically do not use a CVT. Do not confuse the Nissan CVT w/ a Toyota Hybrid. The Toyota hybrid cvt/tranny is a power split device. It consists of 2 electric motors and planetary gear set. About a dozen total moving parts. You will never have problems with it. 8yr / 100,000 mile warranty anyway.

I don't think it's correct to claim the TCH's PSD never shifts. True, there are no hard shift points but the device actually continuously shifts in infinite steps.

The major consumer magazines state that the hybrid versions of autos appear to be just as or actually more reliable than their ICE only cousins.

It sure does. MG1 and MG2. Each can assume the role of a motor or generator as required.
Yes. MG2 is the motor that drives the wheels and generates power during regenerative braking. MG1 is typically the starter motor for the ICE, and also serves as a generator (when mechanically driven by the ICE).

There are some funky modes that can take place - when cruising, the ICE can simultaneously drive the wheels and supply unused mechanical energy to MG1, which generates electric power, and then feeds this power directly to MG2.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

The total fill is just under 4 quarts. That is also the capacity (dry) of the PSD. The drain plug is at the bottom of the unit and you will drain out all of the fluid as it is splash lubricated (no pump or oil passages) just like a manual tranny.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:42 PM

ok, so it is a CVT. just re-badged.

The Toyota HSD replaces a normal geared transmission with an electromechanical system. Because an internal combustion engine (ICE) delivers power best only over a small range of torques and speeds, the crankshaft of the engine is usually attached to an automatic or manual transmission by a clutch or torque converter that allows the driver to adjust the speed and torque that can be delivered by the engine to the torque and speed needed to drive the wheels of the car. When required to classify the transmission type of an HSD vehicle (such as in standard specification lists or for regulatory purposes), Toyota describes HSD-equipped vehicles as having E-CVT (Electronically-controlled Continuously Variable Transmission).

little cutesy

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Engine_01.JPG

Last edited by ukrkoz; 12-07-2010 at 08:46 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator

Try looking at this link:

PSD demo

Move the sliders for MG2 and the ICE to see how this works. A CVT will use a fixed length belt or chain that is driven by either a variable diameter pulley or two opposing cones for the variable ratio.

This system uses two motor/generators and a planetary gear set that is attached to the engine to control the output to the drive wheels. It is not a variable ratio as the gear set is a fixed ratio but the planetary gear set up allows MG1 to run in forward or reverse at different RPM's as well as the ICE varying the RPM to control the speed of the car.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid
There is no dipstick. The PSD (this is not a CVT) is checked like an old manual transmission or diff. Looking at the PSD, there is a "fill" plug at the 9:00 o'clock position. Take it out and the fluid should be at or with .5mm of the top....
Just editorial: Should that be 5 mm, or .5 cm?

Old 12-08-2010, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator

Mendel,

I got quick on the trigger with that one. It should be 0 to 5 mm from the bottom of the hole in the fill plug opening.