2008 Camry Hybrid "check hybrid system"

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 11:37 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2008 Camry Hybrid "check hybrid system"

I used these folks for my battery replacement:

https://greentecauto.com/

They offer both refurb and new - highly recommended.

Old 02-03-2017, 11:52 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WMConey
I used these folks for my battery replacement:

https://greentecauto.com/

They offer both refurb and new - highly recommended.

Incorrect. Greentec does not offer new batteries for the Camry. They offer rebuilds with "new generation" cells, i.e., cells made after 9/2009 that are regarded as the "3rd gen" cells vs. the 2nd gen cells, which are marginally better (slightly lower internal resistance). You're paying a 28% premium for a 5% improvement and a longer warranty.

Their Dorman-comparable rebuilds have half the warranty of a Dorman.

It's not reasonable to expect either to last more than 3-4 years.

Based on CR reported failure rates, there is a 1 in 333 chance of a NEW Toyota battery failing in 4 years.

New is absolutely the best value.

Old 02-03-2017, 12:55 PM
Enthusiast

I am filling my brain up with a new folder of information - thanks to all who are helping fill it!

Old 02-06-2017, 06:47 AM
Professor Emeritus

Originally Posted by S Keith

List price on the Toyota new pack is nearly $3600:

https://parts.camelbacktoyota.com/pa...D%20COMPONENTS

As you can see, it can be had for closer to $3000 before shipping (if they're willing to), but no way anyone is going to install it for that. The days of $2500, if they ever existed, are long gone.

Given that the OEM case is fully conductive steel, I can't imagine that the paint would be an issue unless it was actually insulating something that it shouldn't. Whatever any issue may have been with the orange paint (I've never heard of it), they continue to paint their cases orange. It's a great way to make shitty stuff look nice.
As fa as personal experience with doing this, I have none. However, years ago, I researched it thoroughly because at that time I was driving 1000 miles per week. Sometimes more. I wanted to be prepared in case of a failure, so I would have no down time as I rely on this car for my business.

That being said, I did actually talk to and meet several installers that offered a brand new Toyota battery for just over $2500. Installed it was a little more.

In regards to the paint on the Dorman pack, I talked to 2 different installers and have read on one of these forums about the paint problem. So, yea, at one time, apparently it was a problem.

Originally Posted by twomikea
O'Riley tested the 12V - probably the wrong test - for 350 corld amps. It came back good but needed a charging.

My install guy who has been helping guide me here, said he could get a new battery pack from Toyota for $2850. He also said the reconditioned would go 3 to 4 years, where I can expect about 8-9 years on a new one.

Is Toyota the only source for a new one? Is $2850 a good price?

I guess the question is - how much longer will I drive the car.
Is that the installed price? If so, I say that is not a bad deal considering what you are getting.

Thanks for posting the info. on the Dorman pack! I remember them being much more than that when I called around. But, then again... It's been years.

Good to hear you got it going again without issue! I'm sure you'll be fine for quite a while.

Old 02-06-2017, 05:57 PM
Enthusiast

$2850 plus tax for new one plus $150 install.

5 days later it's still going - I'm watching my battery level closely on my gps screen. I went down to 1 bar when it went off line!

Old 02-06-2017, 06:32 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

That is basically exactly what I charge (I actually charge a little more for the install because it's a little more involved as you have to move the electronics over). He's getting a 20% shop discount off list price from Toyota and selling it to you at his cost.

The only drawback is Toyota only warranties it for a year. If they install it, it's for 3 years. It's the same product either way though... 34 new modules

You absolutely won't get a better deal on a new battery unless someone is willing to sell it to you at a loss or install it for free.

If this is a car you hope to get another 60K+ miles out of, this is your best option for a long term fix.

Old 02-06-2017, 06:43 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the continued stream of good information!

Old 02-08-2017, 05:18 AM
Professor Emeritus

S Keith and twomikea. Thanks again for all of the information and keeping up with this thread. Good info.