2008 TCH E7011 JBL Nav Unit/Stereo Dead,PLEASE How do I replace w/aftermarket unit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 11:15 AM
Enthusiast
Default 2008 TCH E7011 JBL Nav Unit/Stereo Dead,PLEASE How do I replace w/aftermarket unit?

Bought this car with the Nav unit saying it needs a Navigation DVD, long story short: It's gone. I pulled it out and I don't want it in there. 1. the thing glowed baby blue and personally I found this to be hideous, 2. the GPS requires new update discs from Toyota every year or 2 for $300 (HUGE SCAM!!!), 3. these are notoriously finicky on their best day. SO PLEASE has anyone replaced one of these PITA's with an aftermarket unit? The adapters on ebay for the JBL units are for the 6 disc changers w/o navigation and the plugs are similar but different. I actually got one of those OEM JBL non nav units to see if it would plug in, no go. Now I'm looking at various units on ebay, they won't work with the JBL factory system and the adapters... Full circle! NIGHTMARE!!!
Someone has to have done this! A little help, pretty please.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: 2008 TCH E7011 JBL Nav Unit/Stereo Dead,PLEASE How do I replace w/aftermarket uni

Look at the wiring diagrams cut the plug off and splice your wires together using the harness for the new radio an following the wiring diagram to make the connections right.

Old 02-20-2017, 11:28 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2008 TCH E7011 JBL Nav Unit/Stereo Dead,PLEASE How do I replace w/aftermarket uni

Georgia, the JBL systems are not a standard radio. The part in the dash is only the control matrix. The actual head unit (amp, receiver, volume, bass/treble/mid, fade/balance) are all under the passenger's seat. It's a divorced system.

And to replace it with something similar sounding (not better, just similar) I've had 3 different shops quote pretty much the same thing - $2500 minimum. You're talking about a high end double din head unit, wiring harness (including speaker wires up to the dash instead of under the seat), trim piece, amp (JBL system pushes close to 400W), and all new speakers (stock are calibrated to the car's interior dimensions and sound reflectivity).

All in all, I would honestly go to a wrecking yard and pull a non-NAV JBL radio out of a wrecked TCH and put it in instead. If you run off the AUX input with a Bluetooth headphone adapter, it sounds pretty ****ed good. I drive Uber in Seattle and have surprised the hell out of many a university student that patched into the Bluetooth and cranked it up. It's a good system. Not going to win any sound offs, but it beats anything else I've ever heard stock, including my friend's Merc...

Old 03-27-2017, 03:59 PM
Enthusiast

I just recently did something similar on my 2007 THC, Mickey said it is a divorced system, actually it is married, because it all has to work together. Everything is tied to the Amp under your passenger seat. The speakers are wired different because they are a different ohm than typical after market speakers.

I took out the Factory Unit and the Factory Amp and replaced them. There is a harness you can get that wires into the harness in your dash and it will even retain the steering wheel controls. You will need to splice into the harness under the passenger seat, because the harness will not plug into your aftermarket amp. I ran wires from the amp to the head unit through the center console which was pretty easy. You will also need to replace the speakers in the rear and in the doors. I did not replace the ones in the dash.

There are several wire diagrams online if you google them.

I had about $300 in a nice Pioneer Touch Screen. I bought Kenwood 6 x 9's for the rear and the doors and you will need adaptors form Metra to mount them. Honestly the splicing in made me nervous, so I had a big box retailer wire it in for me.

I have less than $1000 in the whole set up and for me it was worth it to get the touch screen radio with Sirius.

Don't give up,, its tough but not impossible! Good Luck!