2008 TCH owners What are your issues todate

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 11:00 AM
Enthusiast
Default 2008 TCH owners What are your issues todate

As an owner of an '08 TCH since 2008, I can say overall it was a generally good purchase. I think the gas mileage could be a bit better, but I could also try to do the speed limit too....

The only thing that has gone wrong over the years and 150k+ miles later is the waterpump. And that was replaced under warranty. All maintenance has been done at the Toyota dealer up until now. But now I am thinking of taking responsibility of at least doing my oil change.

But other than the water pump and any other service recalls that may have happened. I have been basically trouble free.

Anybody else?

Last edited by RemyMartin; 04-24-2016 at 11:03 AM.
Old 04-24-2016, 04:47 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2008 TCH owners What are your issues todate

I'm concerned about the lack of issues. I bought my 08 TCH in 08, so it's 8 years old and no repairs except for both visors that were designed horribly and the water pump which was covered under warranty. Something came loose inside the pass. side door in 2010. My kids kept slamming the door like they had to do on their dad's GMs and Fords. Battery charge is fine, brakes still good. I have replaced nothing but the engine air filter, wiper blades and tires in 72K miles. Paint/finish looks like new. 39 MPG in spring/fall. JBL stereo is PITA as the LCD display goes out in hot weather and the stereo changes stations or volume on its own. Car's been a great value otherwise.

Old 04-25-2016, 09:55 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

None (although most cars these days are can be reasonably trouble free as long as you change the oil, filters, etc.)

Old 04-25-2016, 04:20 PM
Professor Emeritus

At 245,000 miles now. Other than regular maintenance stuff to include oil changes, Coolant changes on both systems, PSD oil service, air filters, wiper blades, tires, alignments, etc... Major unexpected items I have had to fix or replace:

1. ICE water pump #1 @ 115,000 miles. Did myself, cost about $140 to replace with Napa pump, Toyota SLLC and Toyota sealant.

2. Front end "clunking" in turns @ 135,000 miles. Common intermediate steering shaft issue. Did myself, disconnected and cycled shaft to redistribute grease $0.

3. Drivers Hub bearing started making noise @ 163,000 miles. Paid local shop to replace with Toyota parts $274.

4. Trunk switch rubber cover disintegrated @ 172,000 miles. Fixed myself with bicycle inner tube $0.

5. Multiple VSC and check engine lights came on. Bad Brake light switch @ 192,000 miles. Paid local Toyota dealer to diagnose and fix $161.

6. Passengers side engine cooling fan failed @ 220,000 miles. Replaced e-fans myself $145.

7. ICE water pump #2 @ 231,000 miles. Replaced it myself again for $150 used Toyota pump, Toyota SLLC, Toyota sealant and Napa belt.

8. AC evaporator leak @ 235,000 miles. Evaporator, Drier, Expansion Valve, o-rings, freon, coolant, etc... Paid local dealer to fix. $1,300. They are also replacing my dashboard which went on backorder. When they removed the dash, it began to fall apart. My AC is now colder than the 2016 loaner they gave me to drive!

9. Struts need replacing. they are toast. So another DIY project $$$.

As you can see, as the miles rack up, things go wrong. But, honestly, I'm still very happy with the car. The AC going out is a bummer. But, this happens with all cars as they get old and rack up the miles. Especially if you have one long enough. I do not intend to sell anytime soon. Still an excellent vehicle.

Last edited by litespeed; 05-27-2016 at 06:42 PM. Reason: AC problem fixed
Old 05-08-2016, 06:35 AM

Hey, Litespeed, is yours made in Japan or place else?

Old 05-09-2016, 08:03 AM
Professor Emeritus

Kentucky, I think... Up until the AC failure, everything else on that list is pretty normal for these cars approaching 200,000. I have read where folks have had to replace up to 3 wheel bearings with less miles than I have. So, I expect them all to fail any second! LOL!

I got to get on the front struts soon too. They are completely shot.

No seriously though... It has been a great car!

Last edited by litespeed; 05-09-2016 at 08:31 AM.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:43 PM

Do yourself a favor and go for Quick Strut ones. Either Monroe or KYB. I didn't know KYB had them, or I'd have gone for them, as KYB is OEM Toyota struts. Thank me later.

Aha, so I thought. So it's not J VIN.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:49 PM

2007 with 180k miles, Japanese.
so far I'm on 3rd set of tires, 2nd set of break pads, changed cabin, air filters once and wiper blades once. Filter, oil done myself, full synthetic, after first 5k miles. Burns about 1qrt every 1.5k, but strangely enough just did 1000 mile road trip, not missing a drop, must be the traffic and constant stop and start during my daily commute that burns oil, but still I was expecting to burn some oil when cruising 70-80 MPH, but nothing. First car ever, I didn't have to do transmission at 50-100k.
Except for TPM, everything works, I guess batteries died after 8-10yrs and now that I think all 4 are dead can't even reset it and too expensive to replace.
Love my car and hopefully will last me until flying cars show up on the market.

Old 05-10-2016, 06:43 AM
Professor Emeritus

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
Do yourself a favor and go for Quick Strut ones. Either Monroe or KYB. I didn't know KYB had them, or I'd have gone for them, as KYB is OEM Toyota struts. Thank me later.

Aha, so I thought. So it's not J VIN.
Thanks! Yea.... Way ahead of you. I've already ordered a set of KYB's. Called "Strut Plus". Comes as complete assembly, just bolt it in. New bearings, spring seats, etc... $136 a piece for the front! Not too bad.

I bet those lower bolts are "really in there" though. Need to get my compressor going and dig out my impact wrench for those puppies!

Old 05-10-2016, 08:38 PM

No but you need to buy camber kit. $27 O'Reilley. You will NOT be able to align her after struts replacement. Also, why not to do all four?
You are not ahead of me. I did mine 2.5 yr back and replaced then new Monroes in the front with Quick Struts about 6 months later. They still hold well but *** starts wobbling. Considering replacing rear KYBs with whatchamacallits from KYB. Strut Plus. It's just such a pain to do rears....

Quick Reply: 2008 TCH owners What are your issues todate

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands