2009 TCH trunk can't close

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 04:54 PM
Enthusiast
Default 2009 TCH trunk can't close

A few days ago, the trunk of my 2009 TCH suddenly can't close, slamming the trunk several times with no help. I disassembled the trunk latch, and found the latch was stuck in open position.

I sprayed some white lithium then wiggled the metal pieces around. Finally the latch got out of its open position.

I put everything back, tried the manual method by pulling the release level beside the driver's seat. No problem. The mechanical key can open the trunk without issue.
However, the electrical method (either by pressing the trunk release button from key remote, or pressing the "rubber" button on trunk lid, just above the rear licence plate) was not working. Actually it made things worse - the latch got stuck in open status again!

I disassembled it again. Something looked suspicious to me - one metal's end (don't know it's name, just marked as 'A' in the picture 1) was bent(?).

Just for reference, the picture 2 was taken before I removed the electrical actuator. "C " points to the same metal piece as "A" in picture 1. You can't see the bent part because its under the plastic housing. "B" is the plastic piece of actuator. It stays at left side of "C", and can't return back to its normal position, which makes the latch not being able to close.

I have no idea if the "bent end" is by design, or, the cause of this issue.
Anyone here has same/similar experience? Thanks.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_5383.jpg (176.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_5378.jpg (151.0 KB, 12 views)