2014.5 Camry Hybrid LE

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 10:22 AM
Enthusiast
Default 2014.5 Camry Hybrid LE

Hi there, how's it going? Thanks for checking this out for me.

This is my first post, though I've been looking this site over for a while.

I've got the Camry Hybrid LE. Currently it's got less than 3,000 miles on it, Of normal Texas summer driving.

When I bought the car new it had to get the driver front vacuum plate fixed for resting too close to the brake system. It caused a nasty sound for 100 miles. They kept saying it was rust on the rotors and to drive it. I didn't drive it I just insisted they take a look at it. They fixed it.

Now let me explain that I know how the hybrid system works. ICE turns on and off at calculated times, and situations. I also know the shutter of that turning on and off without looking down.

That being said my problem is at idle, with the ICE engaged either to charge the traction battery or during warm up. (Open or closed loop)
The car shakes, and shutters during this time. Caused by the ICE being engaged.
While it's idling it seems to be struggling. The car just shakes and shakes until it finally turns off.

I notice no difference in acceleration with the ICE under any throttle position.

I have put the car into B mode, so it would defeat the auto start/stop of the ICE at a stop. The ICE shook the car even after being driven for 20 miles, long enough for a warm up.

I've connected a diagnostic unit to check the engine speed at idle and it was consistently around 1,200. Being wireless the refresh rate of the unit suffered. I couldn't see instantaneous drops in engine speed to see if it that could be the cause.

I've taken the car to the dealership. They ran "several" health system checks and *Drum roll please* Didn't find anything wrong.

I've ran into that several times now. This is all warranty work so they don't want to go in depth.

I don't think I can be anymore specific than that.

I really appreciate everyone for reading this. I hope I was successful in being detailed, and brief.

Thanks again!

Last edited by BrentCato001; 10-13-2014 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Additional Information Car bought 3 weeks ago.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: 2014.5 Camry Hybrid LE

Brent, this is going to sound crazy but what car and engine combo did you own before you bought the Camry?

Old 10-14-2014, 05:50 AM
Veracitorian Muser

I would suggest you test drive another identical model off the lot to see if it does the same. Most of the time, most people can barely detect when the ICE is running or not, stopping or starting. Either you are super(-human) sensitive, or your car has something wrong. I am rarely aware of the ICE (7 years with an '07 TCH, and now 2 years with an '13 Lexus ES h), except under heavy acceleration, and the very rare shudder when startup or shut down is not perfectly smooth. The EV mode lamp on the instrument cluster turning on/off is usually more noticeable!

Leave the B mode for long descents, when the battery is already charged, where it is intended to be used.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:25 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by alan_in_tempe
I would suggest you test drive another identical model off the lot to see if it does the same. Most of the time, most people can barely detect when the ICE is running or not, stopping or starting. Either you are super(-human) sensitive, or your car has something wrong. I am rarely aware of the ICE (7 years with an '07 TCH, and now 2 years with an '13 Lexus ES h), except under heavy acceleration, and the very rare shudder when startup or shut down is not perfectly smooth. The EV mode lamp on the instrument cluster turning on/off is usually more noticeable!

Leave the B mode for long descents, when the battery is already charged, where it is intended to be used.
I know the feelings of the ICE engaging and disengaging.
I have test driven identical cars to mine (as it's been in the shop 5 times now)
They all make the same slight shutter when the ICE is turning on or off.
None of the other cars I drove two of them did the same engine shutter at idle.
The idle shutter isn't slight though. It's very noticeable. The ICE isn't turning on/off at this point. It's just idling.

Toyota feels the problem but can't find anything on a computer, so don't look any deeper than they need to.

REPLY TO GeorgiaHybrid - -
The Toyota Camry Hybrid is my first car. I spent one year looking it up. If you think I don't know how the hybrid system works, I do.

Old 10-14-2014, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

Brent, I was just checking to see what you were used to. If you are having problems that are that noticeable, find another dealer as you are idling very high (unless the engine is cold) at 1,200 rpm. Have you tried buying your gas at different stations? You would be surprised at how often I see water in the tank that causes problems like you are having.

David