Is it 4 or 5 quarts of new oil after oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 12:28 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Do I need 4 or 5 quarts of new oil after oil change?

Mine is TCH 07 and has around 36K miles.

I am confused about the new oil requirement or limit after doing oil change.

The oil change offers I get from toyota dealer is around $20 for conventional oil change "UP TO 4 QUARTS".

Do I need 4 quarts or 5 quarts of new oil ? If i need 5 , I will pay dealership price for the additional oil. My car is 36k mileage. Any other maintenance do I need besides the oil/filter change at every 3 to 5k miles?

I do oil change at dealers although you know they try to scam you with repairs you never need such as complete new breaks, coolent flish blah blah for thousands. So I always am careful about visiting Toyota dealer even when I just go for an oil change. They'd send you an offer for oil filter change and multi point inspection for $20. When you get there, they always come to you to let you know your car is a mess and you need new breaks, new this and that and it will cost you $1200 after $300 in new discount they wanted to give blag blah.

Thanks

Last edited by jimmy1; 12-04-2015 at 12:10 PM.
Old 12-04-2015, 03:39 PM
Professor Emeritus
Default Re: Is it 4 or 5 quarts of new oil after oil change?

Its more than 4. I always buy the 5qt. jug of 0/20 Mobil 1 when I do mine and use a Toyota filter (I buy the filters by the case). I also buy an additional qt. for reasons mentioned below.

On mine it takes around 4.25 qts. to do a proper chg. I used to mark the jugs (when I cared about stuff like that).

Mine does use oil though. I do an oil change every 7500 miles and over those miles it will use an additional 1.5 qts. on top of what was used for the original oil change.

Old 12-04-2015, 06:39 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

4.2 qrts oil
4.5 oil and filter

Old 12-05-2015, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator

Your owners manual is a fountain of information.......

Old 12-05-2015, 07:22 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

yeah, but mo fo-s made it so hard to find it in that manual....

Old 12-10-2015, 04:18 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
4.2 qrts oil
4.5 oil and filter
The dealer's oil change offer is 4 quarts for $19. It includes " free multi point inspection". But I have been telling them I don't need free inspection because for $18 oil change, they insist on thousands of dollars worth of repairs. They want you new breaks, coolant flush, new transmission even when your car is just 20k miles or 36k miles. They hate it when i go there with oil change coupons for $18 and tell them i don't need the free inspections . 5 months ago i went for oil change with the coupon, the guy told me just take the free inspection, it is free, no risk, i said ok, so I waited in waiting room watching what they do to my car, they opened the hood, drained the oil and put new oil and I never saw them doing any inspection anywhere. As expected they suggested i spend $over $2k for new breaks, pads, blah blah, told them no. http://www.chicagotoyota.com/specials/service.htm

When I go there, I should tell them add one more quart of oil?

Last edited by jimmy1; 12-10-2015 at 04:26 PM.
Old 12-11-2015, 05:44 AM
Professor Emeritus

Originally Posted by jimmy1
The dealer's oil change offer is 4 quarts for $19. It includes " free multi point inspection". But I have been telling them I don't need free inspection because for $18 oil change, they insist on thousands of dollars worth of repairs. They want you new breaks, coolant flush, new transmission even when your car is just 20k miles or 36k miles. They hate it when i go there with oil change coupons for $18 and tell them i don't need the free inspections . 5 months ago i went for oil change with the coupon, the guy told me just take the free inspection, it is free, no risk, i said ok, so I waited in waiting room watching what they do to my car, they opened the hood, drained the oil and put new oil and I never saw them doing any inspection anywhere. As expected they suggested i spend $over $2k for new breaks, pads, blah blah, told them no. http://www.chicagotoyota.com/specials/service.htm

When I go there, I should tell them add one more quart of oil?
It's up to you. I wouldn't.

I have over 200,000 miles of oil changing experience on this particular car and I have always done it myself.

EVERY single time 4.25qts. puts the oil up to the full line on the stick. 4.5qts is over the line. I don't give a crap what the manual says, I know what it says and in the case of my car it is absolutely wrong.

Ideally you want the oil to be between the hash marks on the stick. NOT over the top of them.

Old 12-16-2015, 06:51 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by litespeed
It's up to you. I wouldn't.

I have over 200,000 miles of oil changing experience on this particular car and I have always done it myself.

EVERY single time 4.25qts. puts the oil up to the full line on the stick. 4.5qts is over the line. I don't give a crap what the manual says, I know what it says and in the case of my car it is absolutely wrong.

Ideally you want the oil to be between the hash marks on the stick. NOT over the top of them.
I dont do self oil change , don't know how and i live in rented apartment building in a city.
I guess I will just accept the 4 quart oil change for $20 at the dealership with their service offer.
If they say I need total of 5 quarts and that i have to pay extra $8 for the 5th quart, I just tell them 4 is fine. Will refuse the " free multi points inspection" cos they don't do any inspection and they always find something terrible wrong and will ask you to do laundry lists of things done for $2400 $1500 or whatever.

THanks

Old 12-18-2015, 06:58 AM
Professor Emeritus

Originally Posted by jimmy1
I dont do self oil change , don't know how and i live in rented apartment building in a city.
I guess I will just accept the 4 quart oil change for $20 at the dealership with their service offer.
If they say I need total of 5 quarts and that i have to pay extra $8 for the 5th quart, I just tell them 4 is fine. Will refuse the " free multi points inspection" cos they don't do any inspection and they always find something terrible wrong and will ask you to do laundry lists of things done for $2400 $1500 or whatever.

THanks
That would be fine. Just keep a back up quart somewhere at home or in the car in case you need to "top it off".

Most of that crap they pull at the "stealership" you can ignore.... Case in point: I went in to have a clunking in my front end diagnosed and came out with a bill for over $3000 to replace the steering rack and a bunch of other related crap. After some reading on forums and Googling, Turns out all that was wrong was the grease in the steering shaft has oozed down to the bottom. So, I disconnected the shaft, cycled the shaft up and down a couple times, reconnected it and the problem went away! Idiots....

Old 12-18-2015, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator

As far as the brakes go, unless you are like ukrkoz and think the Camry is a good substitute for a Maserati Ghibli, your brakes will last a LONG time. Had mine off this past weekend and the fronts looked like new with no visible wear and the rear were at 50%. With 160,000 on the car, the front brakes will outlast the car and the rears will make it to 300,000 miles before needing to be replaced. Take ANY verbiage from a dealer as being suspect.

As an aside, ANY competent tech can change the rotors and pads on the Camry when they do need to be replaced for not a lot of money....

Quick Reply: Is it 4 or 5 quarts of new oil after oil change?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands