5000 mile service?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 06:05 AM
it's just a car...
Default Re: 5000 mile service?

I suspect that's correct.
When I took the TCH in this morning, I asked for the full synthetic like I always do and the guy behind the counter told me they'd always used "bulk oil" when servicing it previously.
I asked him how they achieved the 0w20 with bulk oil and he said they didn't and that he could not correct past mistakes.
He said he could get the full sythetic this time but that I would not be able to "go back" to the "bulk oil" once the full suynthetic was used.
This makes no sense to me.
For the initial oil changes, I bought the 0w20 and had it installed until the dealer told me they could provide it.
The dealer is Joe Heitz Toyota Clarksville, TN.
It's obvious they do not know what they are doing and have no difficulty ignoring customer's instructions.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:01 AM
Super Moderator
Default Re: 5000 mile service?

vioarc,

I'm just south of you (barely into Georgia below Chattanooga) and understand your frustrations. I have been working on or around cars since the early 70's and have found one constant. The "bay boys" at the dealerships are the lowest rookies in the shop. I would not trust them to air up the tires on a bicycle, never mind my car.

With the hybrids we are running I often wonder how many engines are left "on", the car raised and oil drained only to have the ice engine fire up to recharge the traction battery. Knowing the caliber of the help that I have seen, I would say it happens on a regular basis.

Think back to when you were that age. You knew everything, older people were "stupid", you never listened when someone explained a procedure and you covered up your screwups when they happened.

Yes, I do my own oil changes, tire rotations, routine maint. and most of the repairs (if needed). If one of my cars does go back to the dealer, it will be in the hands of a master tech for some serious work as all of the minor items are done by myself. If you can't do this, take the car to be serviced at a local shop you know and trust. You can at least watch from the sidelines, ask questions and know that the service is being done correctly.

The other point the guy made about not being able to "go back" to dino oil is flat out wrong. You can go back and forth, change brands and you can even mix 0W-20 and 5W-20 on the same oil change (using the same oil type). The engine will not care. I don't mix mine as I always run 5W-20 Mobil 1 oil (certified for ALL of my cars and I only need to stock one) but if I needed to top with a quart of 0W-20 at an oil change because I was out of 5W-20. no problem.

Keep it changed, use a good filter and good oil and the engine will last a long time.