ABS actuator replacement (CHECK VSC)

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 07:10 AM
Professor Emeritus
Default ABS actuator replacement (CHECK VSC)

So, I am about to replace this part the next couple days. It looks pretty straight forward as far as the actual "nuts and bolts" replacement. Looking like it will take about 30 to 45 minutes to replace.

I have been to my local dealer (which I hate) and they quoted me a price of $600 to bleed and set this thing up. In my mind, this is completely ridiculous since I am installing the part. Literally all they will need to do is run the actuators to bleed the system. I was also going to have the inverter coolant changed again to the tune of $140.

So, now I am thinking it is time to get a scan tool and do this crap myself. Is there a decent generic scan tool available/capable of running the ABS actuator and inverter coolant pump? If I'm throwing away $740, I figure I might as well invest in one of these tools and save several hundred unless the scan tools for these cars are "secret squirrel" expensive...

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Old 06-26-2014, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: ABS actuator replacement (CHECK VSC)

Hopefully someone on here can help. Everyone I know uses pro level scan tools but I know that others have posted info on economical scanners that seemed to work OK.
Make sure that the one you buy will work the Toyota specific hybrid systems.

Old 06-28-2014, 01:07 PM
Professor Emeritus

Thanks David.... I found some info. I was looking for over on one of the Lexus forums. There is a generic adapter that works with the TechStream software now for real cheap (less than $35). Then you just lease the software package from Toyota for a couple days it seems (for $55).

I just wanted to be darn sure I can run the actuator and the inverter coolant pump.

I am going to run up to Mellors Automotive next week and see what Josh would charge to do the work I need done and talk batteries for few minutes. I am concerned about my HV battery now with all the miles on our car. He seems confident that it can be rebuilt for under $1000 when the time comes.

I confronted the dealer about their high price for the brake bleed and they came down to $229. Still too high IMO. Also, still $140 for the coolant change is just a little ridiculous.

Still considering the scan tool either way as I am planning this ABS actuator change next Thursday.

Old 06-28-2014, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like the service writer is wanting to go on a nice vacation this year at your expense....

Old 06-30-2014, 06:45 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Doxon Toyota here charges $150 flat to bleed system. None of the cheap scanners will do this for you, David is right. Surprisingly, Greg's Japanese Auto wants $450 to bleed brakes. What?
litespeed, and be aware, that not all shops have updated scanners with latest firmware. You may end with mucho trouble, if some ding dong will try to mess with that computerized car with old s/w.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator

AJ, to give you an idea, it costs me better than a grand a year to keep both of my scanners current on software. Even worse, I could read my dually just fine with what I have but the truck I'm flying to Texas to pickup will require another scanner for heavy duty trucks. Sometimes I think towing a big 5th wheel rv is a sure sign of insanity.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:09 PM

You heard The Man. ^^^^^

Old 07-01-2014, 06:59 PM
Professor Emeritus

Thanks again guys.... I am going to just let the dealer deal with this crap. I cannot do anything this week thanks to Tropical Storm Arthur. It has been raining on and off non stop for days and it is not going to end anytime soon. I'm going to shoot for next Thursday. Already made an appt. at the dealer for next Friday morning to do the things listed above.

I still plan on talking to Josh about the batteries. I just have it in the back of my head that this will be the next $$$$ expense.

Old 08-11-2014, 02:45 PM
Professor Emeritus

OK... Here is an update on this mess. So, when I purchased this part, there was no campaign to fix the problem yet. A few days after I started this thread the campaign by Toyota with "Warranty Enhancement" started (I did not know). I have since returned the Actuator and am still waiting for the refund.

Long story short a few weeks ago I took the car in and they replaced the Brake Fluid Reservoir along with doing a few other things. They were not able to get the CHECK VSC SYSTEM lights to come on (go figure)! So far so good. They did mention that there were some issues with erratic voltages somewhere that were not related to either battery? They also mentioned a possible problem with a Stroke Sensor or an issue related to the brake pedal switch. Anyway, the lights are out for now!

Old 08-13-2014, 06:53 PM

Yep, when I had mine, it went off when I removed BT adapter from OBD2 port and cleared codes with ABS capable scanner. Not to jinx, been since around April I believe.