Acetone to boost mileage and clean fuel system?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 05:03 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Question Acetone to boost mileage and clean fuel system?

Anyone used acetone in their fuel? It is in Berryman B-12 and some Gunk fuel injection cleaners. I saw where some people were adding 1 to 4 ozs. to their fuel and boosting mileage.

Looking for insight.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: Acetone to boost mileage and clean fuel system?

I'll answer that with a question. If you were running a petroleum company and could add a mystery fluid that would magically add 10% or more to the mileage your gasoline could get and only cost $3.00 or so to treat 100 gallons, don't you think you could corner the market with the "highest mileage gas available"?

It will clean gunk from an abused fuel system that has had cheap gas run thru it but that is about all....Even doing that, you need to be careful.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:06 PM

David is exactly correct. The chemistry behind the legend was enough to pique my non-professional curiosity 5 years ago when gas prices went wild. I tried it, still have 3/4 gallon of pure acetone in the garage if you want to try it too.

Sadly, we need to throw this one in the closet with the gas line magnets, induction tornado generators, unused bottles of Slick50, water vapor contraptions and books about the mythical 200mpg carburetor by that genius guy back in the 70's who the oil companies had whacked.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:38 PM

It is or has been used with methanol as a vaporization aid in race cars. I think this is the "so called" benefit for adding it to gasoline. It is supposed to lower the surface tension of the gasoline, therefore aiding in vaporization.

Who is the chemist among us that can shed some light on this?

Old 11-18-2010, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

Ronald,

That MIGHT work when using methanol (although benzene would be a better choice) and a carburetor but a fuel injected car atomizes the fuel when it leaves the injector. If you would do a mpg test (under controlled conditions) you would find out what countless others have, it doesn't work.

Last edited by GeorgiaHybrid; 11-18-2010 at 05:48 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:42 AM

I'm no chemist, but in terms of "reducing molecular surface tension".... isn't that primarily why detergents are added to gasoline?

So maybe the acetone trick was effective back in the days of non-detergent, leaded gas.

Old 11-19-2010, 03:25 PM

Well, some interesting conversation an insight.

Thanks all, if anyone else wants to chime in go ahead.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:12 PM
Active Enthusiast

If you want to take a chance of dissolving O-rings, seals, hoses, fuel pumps and various plastic components, as well as throwing off the O2 sensors and thereby causing the computer to make unwarranted changes in the fuel/air mix, go ahead.

In other words, acetone is a VERY powerful solvent, and most cars are not intended to have more acetone in the fuel than is normally found in gas.

If you want to clean deposits, find a shop that sells BG 44K. It is about $20-25 per can, but it is the best product on the market for removing deposits.

Leave the acetone to the paint and body shops that use it to remove overspray and clean their tools.

Old 11-21-2010, 03:50 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I used 4 ounces of acetone at the pump when I filled the tank on my 2006 Ford Five Hundred. I only picked up a single mpg. It was cheap to buy from a beauty supply but I always ended up with some on my hands when I poured it into the tank. I started using single shot of Lucas gas treatment bottle but still just was a hassle to get it out of the trunk when I could be putting gas in my car.

I tried using acetone on the '07 Camry Hybrid and still got maybe 1 or 2 mpg better at times, but with such quality top tier gas on the market, why worry with acetone. I gave up using it.

Maybe next time you need tires, try buying a set of LRR tires. You can find the currently tested tire list in the new consumer reports buying guide for 2011. The LRR rating is listed on all of them. This is the easiest way to add 4% to 10% extra mpg to your car.

Last edited by rburt07; 12-04-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:20 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

oh the infamous acetone!! and chase of illusive mileage...

this is, by far, not the first acetone discussion i'll participate in. prolly, not the last one.

1. most of those discussions are done by folks that have NEVER EVER tried acetone, for any reason, but have their "opinion".

2. most have NEVER EVER read the original research on this done by Louis LaPonte.

with this being said, let me say something:
i used acetone in several vehicles, for about a year. i tried it on several vehicles, with no success. i am a meticulous person in this respect, so i had a daily mileage log for about year and a half.
with this being said, here's the results:

1. 2004 Honda CR-V - solid 10% mpg improvement with approx 3 ounces to ten gallons.
2. 99 Ford Ranger - i could get that little truck to 32 mpg with 3oz/10 gall
3. 99 Lexus RX300 - no result
4. 2000 Chevy Silverado - no result.
5. vehicles 1 and 2 were treated with acetone for over a year, w-out any adverse results. LaPonte been experimenting with acetone since mid 50s, i believe, had seals and gaskets stowed on cans filled with acetone for extended period of time, w-out them being damaged. PURE ACETONE, not minuscule 3oz to 10 gall solution.

those with "opinion" should go to any parts store and read chemical configuration for most of OTC cleaners/gas treatments sold there. it is common for them to have more acetone in them, than one will have in 3/10g solution. this should take care of "it will damage this and that" opinion.

here's probably the best source of info on the question:

http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directo..._Fuel_Additive

btw, why any mpg improving additive is not used by fuel makers (au contraire, here in the USA, fuel is produced to reduce mpg, not to improve it; before bashing me, look at European cars mpg and ask if they have gasohol or "winter formulation" sold there): because it is all owned by the same cartel that makes $$ off every end. less efficient vehicles + less efficient fuel= more profit.
BEWARE: NO ONE ADDS METHANOL TO FUEL; it WILL damage engine because it flushes oil off moving parts; weak methanol/water mixture, alias windshield washer fluid, is used as injected spray in turbochargers, on race cars, to cool down exhaust; even that poses major issue for turbos.

PS. please, do not start argument on this. it is not worth it. it is absolutely personal decision to try it or not. it is what it is, it works on some engines, it does not work on others; it can probably damage some cheap material parts or parts sensitive to it, like Prius tank lining. water can kill if taken in excessive amounts, and any medication is controlled toxin. take it easy.

Last edited by ukrkoz; 12-04-2010 at 09:29 AM.