Adventures in Oil Changing (long rantish post)

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 09:11 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Adventures in Oil Changing (long rantish post)

Soooo... I drove over to the Toyota dealership to get my oil changed this morning. If you read the other thread you know that I ended up deciding to buy the oil from the dealer for $7.00 per quart. I pulled my car into the garage entrance and the gentleman came up and asked me why I was there. I told him that I wanted to get my car's first oil change and that I wanted 0W-20 oil.

"Do we have that?" he asked.

I explained how I had called about it, but he seemed really unsure, so I decided to ask the service writer guy inside. He said they don't usuallly just have it, so he'd have to check with the parts department. A few minutes later he returned and said they don't have 0W-20, but they have 0W-30 and that's "the same thing". Umm, no, it's NOT the same thing. It's also not what is recommended for my car. He actually asked me if that's what it says on my oil cap. I told him that's what it says in the manual. Do not try to pull crap on me just because I am female. I RTFM, buddy. He goes back to the parts department and they apparently tell him that they can order some, but there's no guarantee it will arrive before they close the service department for the day at 2pm.

I get a little testy. I mean, you understand I CALLED THEM to inquire about this. I was told that they had it. I was told I could pay $7.00 per quart for it. I was also told I couldn't make an appointment on a Saturday, but could just drive over and wait for the car and it would be about an hour. PLUS WHICH, I was told when I bought the car that I got lifetime free oil changes. I don't have such a big, huge problem with paying for the oil if it's not what's included with the free lifetime oil changes, but this whole run-around was not making me happy. He gave me the card of the Service Manager and said I should call him on Monday.

So, feeling very annoyed I left and called my husband via "dial by number" to relay the whole story to him. We started talking about our plans for next Saturday, which would be the next time I could take the car in for its oil change I was reminded that we already have plans and can't just go sit around the dealership for an unknown amount of time waiting for my oil to be changed.

He suggested that I stop at Wal-Mart to see if they actually got anymore 0W-20 since the day he was there. He knows how I feel about Wal-Mart. I reminded him that Exxon Mobile said NAPA stores carry it, so while I was driving and talking to him he looked up the location of the nearest NAPA store.

I drove down there and they were open, and had a whole case of 0W-20 on the shelf and their price was $5.19 per quart, which is LOWER than Wal-Mart here. I bought the oil and drove back to the dealership where I inquired about having my oil changed and how long it would take. Under the circumstances they offered to sort of rush me through and intead of 60-90 minutes I got my oil changed in a mere 35 minutes.

While I was waiting I went out and said hello to the Inventory Manager who preferenced my car and got me my Jasper Pearl, still the only one SOLD in CT (he told me). I told him about driving out to the NAPA store to buy the oil. He seemed really, really surprised. He said he never heard of someone having to buy their own oil and he asked me if he could photocopy my receipt. He said he is going to talk to the service manager on Monday and call me.

Now, I really don't mind paying extra for the 0W-20. I for sure will not be buying it from the dealership, though, because it's $2 cheaper from NAPA. However, they really should stock the oil that is recommended since they are selling oodles of them and they really should be HONEST about whether they have it in stock when someone calls and asks about it.

Old 11-08-2006, 02:47 PM
Default Re: Adventures in Oil Changing (long rantish post)

Wow, My car just reached 4500 miles and I had my Highlander in for various things. I asked them if they were putting in 0w20 and they said yes, toyota just sent them a Memo about it.

Old 11-09-2006, 05:05 AM

I just got my first oil change yesterday. I usually take Mobil-1 with me, but I hadn't taken the time. I ended up paying $9.71 per quart!! You can bet I'll be taking my own oil from now on. In any event, at least I have it in writing that they used Mobil-1 0W-20. Now if I could just find a way to verify that! And I'm only half kidding.

Old 11-09-2006, 07:22 AM
Dazed and Confused

Originally Posted by bmgoodman
Now if I could just find a way to verify that! And I'm only half kidding.
Get a oil analysis sample bottle from Blackstone Laboratories, and send a sample to them. They can usually tell what type of oil it is.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

I use them to test my diesel engine oil all the time.

Old 11-09-2006, 07:39 AM
Enthusiast

I checked all the auto parts stores in my area (NW suburb of Atl.GA) and the only one that had Mobil 1 0-W20 was NAPA at 4.99 qt. The other weights were selling for 6.35 per qt. I questioned the price difference and the parts guy said they run specials on some of the newer items.

I picked up 2 cases (12 qt), I hate making trips to the parts stores, I never know when I'll get the time to change oil.

Our local Wally World had it for 5.99/qt but I won't shop there, they are in the process of leaving another empty grey box so they can move 4 miles up the road to be closer to the Target store. They had been at the old spot for only 5 yrs. They threatened our county commission with moving the store to another county if they didn't approve the zoning and the county caved in.

Sorry for the Wally rant, it's a sore spot in this area.

Old 11-09-2006, 10:54 AM
Dazed and Confused

Wally Worlds WILL be the end of our society, as well as the illeagle immigration.

Old 11-09-2006, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by ag4ever
Wally Worlds WILL be the end of our society, as well as the illeagle immigration.
As long as people continue to want cheap prices and are willing to shop there, they will not go away. The Chineese are slowly buying our country and the Mexicans are slowly taking over.

Old 11-09-2006, 12:50 PM
Dazed and Confused

I can proudly say I have not set foot into a wally world in almost a year, and have not bought something from them in over two years. The only reason I want in one last year was that I was with a group of hunters who needed something. I was stuck in the truck with them so I had to go, but I did not have to buy anything.

I would just rather do without if I could not get what I wanted elesewhere.

Old 11-13-2006, 04:34 PM
Enthusiast

[QUOTE=rjivey]I checked all the auto parts stores in my area (NW suburb of Atl.GA) and the only one that had Mobil 1 0-W20 was NAPA at 4.99 qt. The other weights were selling for 6.35 per qt. I questioned the price difference and the parts guy said they run specials on some of the newer items.

I picked up 2 cases (12 qt), I hate making trips to the parts stores, I never know when I'll get the time to change oil.

I checked with my NAPA store last week. They did not have any Mobile 1 0-20 oil in stocked but said they could order me some. I ordered two case (12 qts.) which came in today. Before paying for it I open a box and looked at it. It was the OLD Mobile 1 0-20, the gf3 and not the new that states it is for hybrids and is rated gf4. I did not by it.

Every one that buys from NAPA be sure it is the new oil that has for hybrids on the bottle and not the old discontinued version that has meets Honda and Ford specs. or something like that.

Old 11-13-2006, 05:02 PM
Enthusiast

[QUOTE=cgul]
Originally Posted by rjivey
I checked all the auto parts stores in my area (NW suburb of Atl.GA) and the only one that had Mobil 1 0-W20 was NAPA at 4.99 qt. The other weights were selling for 6.35 per qt. I questioned the price difference and the parts guy said they run specials on some of the newer items.

I checked with my NAPA store last week. They did not have any Mobile 1 0-20 oil in stocked but said they could order me some. I ordered two case (12 qts.) which came in today. Before paying for it I open a box and looked at it. It was the OLD Mobile 1 0-20, the gf3 and not the new that states it is for hybrids and is rated gf4. I did not by it.

Every one that buys from NAPA be sure it is the new oil that has for hybrids on the bottle and not the old discontinued version that has meets Honda and Ford specs. or something like that.
My Gosh!! don't put gf3, when it calls for gf4!!! ROTFFLMAO

Quick Reply: Adventures in Oil Changing (long rantish post)

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands