Alignment impacting my MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 01:43 PM
Enthusiast
Default Alignment impacting my MPG?

Hi everyone-

Question for all of you experts out there. I got my TCH in May and have been doing almost exclusive highway driving in L.A. That means I go from 80 MPH to 0 and back quite a bit on a typical commute.

I noticed after delivery that the car pulled pretty heavily to the left, and I've put 2800 miles on and have been too busy to take it back to the dealer for service (although they are aware of the problem and happy to fix it with no charge at my convenience).

My question is this: could the alignment issue be negatively impacting my MPG?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give :-).

Old 07-19-2006, 01:57 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Alignment impacting my MPG?

Most certainly.

If you're misaligned, you are 'scrubbing' the tire as opposed to purely rolling on it. A vehicle out of alignment (depending on severity) will EASILY wipe out all the benefits of LRR tires AND Higher Tire Pressure.

Be advised, get that car to the dlrship and get them to fix it asap. You are prematurely wearing your tires as well as significantly hampering your MPG.

Additionally, there is a silver lining to you taking the vehicle in. Usually a manufacturer will rectify "fit and finish" items within the first few months/few thousand miles. Meaning if you have a glove box that squeaks, a small noise or rattle, or a storage compartment cover that is not seating right, you can get them all fixed as well.

Make a list, get the alignment done and anything else that may be bugging you.

Old 07-19-2006, 02:06 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

My TCH will go quite a while without drifting either to either side on the freeway.

I would get your alignment fixed to avoid wearing out the tires early! It is quite possible the alignment problem is affecting your MPG. There was a post in the HCH forum about this very same issue worth reading

Old 07-19-2006, 03:55 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the advice guys :-). I'll be sure to get an alignment this weekend and keep everyone posted on the MPG improvements.

Old 07-23-2006, 06:25 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

My new TCH has a slight pull to the right and I am unlucky enough to have Bridgestones from the factory, all the demo TCHs I drove had Michelins, darn.