Any interest in a hybrid cooling system coolant change how to?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: Any interest in a hybrid cooling system coolant change how to?

There are two actuator bleed procedures that you can run, one with the ABS system and the other without. If you do a normal bleed and replace, you shouldn't need to bleed the ABS actuator unless you replaced it.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:44 AM
Enthusiast

When changing the hybrid system coolant why can't you start the car normally and continue to top off as the coolant is absorbed into the system. In other words why do you need the scanner to run the pump without the car being "turned on"? Will the pump be damaged. Your subsequent sticky on this said it took about 60 seconds to fill totally. I hope this hasn't been answered in another post but I am new to the site. Thanks.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator

Milestone1,

The hybrid coolant system keeps the temps under control on the inverter system and, like most electronic systems, can develope hot spots if they are not kept cool. That is why you need to measure the total amount of coolant removed to make sure you add at least that much back to the system.

Running the pump in maint mode will eliminate any air bubbles and ensure a good fill in the coolant subsystem. By not having the car running while doing this, you eliminate the possibility of having a problem by not having any large amount of current in the inverter. That is where your problems will happen instead of hurting the pump.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:20 PM
Enthusiast

In the absence of a scanner, what will happen if coolant replacement is started after a trip (long enough) to charge the battery at the highest possible level and the engine to be hot, at 180+? Than after replacing the coolant, pres the start button. At this point the engine does not start (battery charged & engine hot) while the pomp keeps running to bleed the bubbles. Even if the engine starts: a - there is no need to stay on for long and b - the inverter will not be loaded because the battery is almost full. Any thoughts for this procedure?

Old 04-03-2013, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

You could try that but any local tech should be able to do this on the cheap. Just print out the procedure and take it with you. One guy about an hour away was charged $50 plus his coolant by his local tech (not a dealer).

The problem with the pump is that it might not run unless the inverter is being used. No current, no pump. That is why the scanner puts it into maint mode and runs the pump on override command. I'm not positive about that though as I use my scanner for that.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:57 AM
Enthusiast

As long as the car is started (is in READY state) the pump keeps running, no matter if engine is on or off. I have Autoenginuity with Enhanced interface for Toyota. They say that it can actuate this pump but I do not see it when I connect with TCH 2009.

Update:
After discussing this subject with Autoenginuity engineers they included this actuator end provided me the updated code. Now I have the option to turn inverter coolant pomp ON and OFF without the engine running.

Last edited by drini; 04-09-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:45 AM
Active Enthusiast

Any advise/how to for a drain/flush of the gasoline engine radiator coolant system for our cars? Thank you!

Old 02-05-2015, 07:27 PM
Enthusiast
Smile Re: Any interest in a hybrid cooling system coolant change how to?

I recently purchased a Highlander Hybrid and ran into this brick wall of everyone saying you needed a scanner. I have found a way to do it with out the scanner or even a need to run the pump. I took the coolant plug out of the bottom of the transaxle and drained 2 quarts of fluid out of the system. The manual says it holds 3.6 quarts meaning 1.6 quarts is still trapped in the system. I then poured distilled water into the reservoir until it came out clear and reinstalled the drain plug. I then poured 1.6 quarts of Pentafrost A1 into the reservoir to have a 50/50 mix this will be about an inch deep in the bottom of the reservoir in my Highlander. I then placed a rubber stopper in the fill hole and connected a Mity Vac hand pump to the stopper. Then pull a vacuum of about 10" and hold it for a little while, do this about three times and then pull a 20" vacuum. you should see a lot of air bubbles come through the coolant. I then topped off the tank to the full mark. I turned on the ignition switch expecting to see more bubbles come out and hear the tone of the pump change as described in many threads on this subject, but saw nor heard neither. This seems to work since it has now been running on this change for two weeks with no loss of fluid, no overheat or warning lights.