Any opinions on using gear "B" often?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 03:06 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Any opinions on using gear "B" often?

I got pretty used to using the little button (on the shift ****) on the '04 Camry XLE to use the engine to slow down with when approaching a stop.

I am wondering what some thoughts are in using the "B" gear (vs the "D") this same way.

The reason I ask is that dropping from "D" to "B" seems to rev the engine much more than using the little button on the other Camry.

You think it is too much on the engine or that this is exactly how it should be used?

Thanks for any input or advise.

Old 12-30-2006, 04:55 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Any opinions on using gear "B" often?

If you do that you by-pass the benifits of regerative braking. I use the "B" gear for grades where you don't want to be riding the brakes for long periods of time.

Old 12-30-2006, 06:23 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDosDog
If you do that you by-pass the benifits of regerative braking. I use the "B" gear for grades where you don't want to be riding the brakes for long periods of time.
So, you are saying I would be better off applying the brakes rather than using the "B" gear. Does that not cause more wear on the pads. <gotta read the manual>

Thanks.

Old 12-30-2006, 09:29 AM
Enthusiast

You are better off just braking. The regenerative braking doesnt hit the break pads unless you jam on them, or when you get to the very end of the braking and have to stop.
When using B mode you are probably hitting the breaks at the end either way.

The regenerative braking just runs the electric motor "in reverse" to genereate electricity from the momentum of the car. It doesnt hit the pads until the end.

Old 12-30-2006, 09:45 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gaijin42
You are better off just braking. The regenerative braking doesnt hit the break pads unless you jam on them, or when you get to the very end of the braking and have to stop.

The regenerative braking just runs the electric motor "in reverse" to genereate electricity from the momentum of the car. It doesnt hit the pads until the end.
I wasn't certain how that worked. What you are saying makes sense. Appreciate your response, gaijin42.

Old 12-31-2006, 03:46 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gaijin42

A Toyota tech told me wear maintenance on the hybrids is far below other models (Especially on brake wear). Looking at how the regenerative braking functions, I can see why.

Old 12-31-2006, 08:39 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

All the little button you your '04 did was prevent you from going into Overdrive. I doubt it provided much additional engine braking. Slamming the selector into '1' would have been much more effective.

Old 12-31-2006, 09:03 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by schmidtj
All the little button you your '04 did was prevent you from going into Overdrive. I doubt it provided much additional engine braking. Slamming the selector into '1' would have been much more effective.
I believe the button on the shifter must have actually dropped into 2nd. It was pretty noticable when traveling over 30 MPH.

The "B" gear feels and sounds more like slamming it into 1st. That was my concern. It thought it may not be something to get into the habit of using.

Old 12-31-2006, 09:13 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

I think "B" is basically intended for steep downward inclines where regenerative braking is not effective enough or the battery is already fully or near fully charged and you don't want to risk overcharging it (if that's even possible). I don't think "B" is meant to be used routinely.