Back up Camrea installation to the NAV unt (with pictures)

Old 12-01-2013, 02:40 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Back up Camrea installation to the NAV unt (with pictures)

OK, I just attempted to do mine and it did not work, but here's some suggestions:

1. To remove storage compartment with flip up lid, in the center console, gear lever should be placed all the back to at least D; after you removed the gear shifter plastic cover, what is left underneath, must be heavily pressed down, on its edge, where it's touching that storage, or it will not come out; after you got past that edge, you need to tilt entire storage compartment up at 45 or degrees, to clear 2 long plastic pins at the top.
You can see those long pins, with white centers, on top of the storage box; edges to be pressed down are ones next to seat heater buttons

2. I scavenged those cables with pins from a leftover computer cable. It's a 4 prong rectangular box on one side and on the opposite end, it looks like one with thick round pins, connector itself has 2 rounded edges. It's normally used to connect power supply to computer parts. Pins are easy to pull out from plug and fit into OEM R10 plug very well.

3. And I spliced quick connect junctions into the wires, just in case.

4. Here's final result

5. Those clips and entire air ducts thing squeak ruthlessly. I lubricated them before reinstall. I mean - it's one squeak no matter where you touch it.

Took me only about 45 minutes casual labor time to get it all out and back in.

Like I said - it does not work. I'll try to find out next why not.

Old 12-01-2013, 02:41 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

OK, so here's question:

I had a rear view camera that was spliced to reverse light to be turned on. Then, there was a regular RCA cable from it to a display I had set on dash. Display had power cable connected to lighter.
Hence, video feed was going from camera to display via RCA plug.
Power was going to display via another RCA plug, from lighter.
There was another loose RCA plug for possible front camera connection.
Rear camera in the back was triggered by reverse light.
All above mentioned RCA cables will join together and then there was single cable going to display.
I simply connected video feed to pins 23 and 22 in R10 headunit plug, as recommended, assuming that camera is fed with 12V from reverse light.

What am I missing? Why it does not work? Does it mean I had to connect something else? To R10 plug?

Old 12-07-2013, 06:06 AM
Enthusiast

Good manual, but it`s only for 2007-2009 OEM JBL Navi.
How install rear camera on 2010 Nav JBL???

Old 01-12-2014, 11:28 AM
Enthusiast

I have bought this one http://tinyurl.com/mn3kqou from ebay, I will report back how things goes after the weather have some mercy on us

Old 01-15-2014, 05:10 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
OK, so here's question:

I had a rear view camera that was spliced to reverse light to be turned on. Then, there was a regular RCA cable from it to a display I had set on dash. Display had power cable connected to lighter.
Hence, video feed was going from camera to display via RCA plug.
Power was going to display via another RCA plug, from lighter.
There was another loose RCA plug for possible front camera connection.
Rear camera in the back was triggered by reverse light.
All above mentioned RCA cables will join together and then there was single cable going to display.
I simply connected video feed to pins 23 and 22 in R10 headunit plug, as recommended, assuming that camera is fed with 12V from reverse light.

What am I missing? Why it does not work? Does it mean I had to connect something else? To R10 plug?

I had the same issue, The wires are not touching "not connecting" if you flip the R10 female connector, you will see that whatever you are pushing in is not long enough to reach the male connectors in the actual radio

Old 02-16-2014, 10:28 PM
Enthusiast

Hi there,I am having a problem getting the turn by turn instructions to work on my navi.It is a connection problem at the back of the navi.Does anyone out there in toyota land know which wires are responsible on the back for this operation to work?Thanks Joe

Last edited by InjunJoe; 03-01-2014 at 12:35 AM.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:28 PM
Enthusiast

Ok, thanks jagbagri for the initiative. Got mine to work with a cheap ebay camera. Still need to run/hide the video wire to the trunk and mount the darn thing but I have the R10 connector done and the video wire hidden to the back seat right now.

For anyone else going to attempt this...I had an issue when testing the camera, I got the verbiage on the screen and a horrible b/w picture that was out of sync. When I finally connected the camera power to the 12v plug (the one you disconnect to remove the compartment) bam, picture is perfect. I am not an electrician to explain but apparently it all needs to be on the same common ground. BL, don't use an external power source to test your camera, use the cars and that might help.

I am inheriting my wife's TCH (she is getting the THH) and I needed the camera as my last car had it.

Thanks again for everyone's comments, really helped me prep and execute this mod. I will come back and post a pic of my camera mount once that sucker is done.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:55 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by inf-max
Good manual, but it`s only for 2007-2009 OEM JBL Navi.
How install rear camera on 2010 Nav JBL???
Me too. Anyone got this on work on a 2010/2011? I have 3 more sockets in the NAV than plugs in the car.

Thanks.

Old 05-07-2014, 01:42 PM
Enthusiast

OK, I just wanted to follow up on this to put closure on it so that years from now, someone asking this question can get a definitive answer. This all applies to a 2011 Camry Hybrid.

I was able to get the nav system installed and hooked up. Everything works except the satellite radio which is a separate component under the drivers seat which I don't have. I don't need it so that is no big deal to me. I only needed to run an ignition wire from the fuse panel and one for the parking brake from the drivers kick panel. Well, I also had to run 2 more wires for the CANH & CANL signal (the extra hybrid info they provide is awesome!!), but they were right behind the radio so that was no big deal. There are empty slots in the junction block so they are super easy. There was actually a speed signal wire (violet/purple) already in one of the connectors. It wasn't listed on any wiring diagram that I could find for the standard radio, but I verified that it was a speed wire and just took it out of the existing connector and plugged it into my radio. One less wire to run. I also installed a backup camera which works perfectly (not bad for $25). i did use a voltage booster for the camera BTW.

It is not too bad to do. I actually kept my old harnesses/connectors in tact and just made jumpers to go from the new radio to the existing vehicle harness/connector. That also makes it easier for removal as I just unplug my jumpers...or I can unplug the connectors, but a couple of them are VERY hard to get out with the jumpers I used plugged into them. I did order the 5-pin connector from Toyota, but really didn't have to have it as the connectors would plug in just fine. They are difficult to get on so I think the tension on them would be more than enough to keep them in place and from falling out. Other than me mixing up the camera wires (there is 4 hours of unnecessary troubleshooting down the drain), it went very smoothly and a nice upgrade.

Best regards,
-Keith

Old 09-27-2016, 05:59 PM
Enthusiast

Hello Old Friends,

Back when this thread was pretty new (May 2007) I installed the BEC 106 on my 2007 Camry Hybrid. I even posted to this and a few other threads at the time. The camera has worked well for over 9 years, but, alas, we are all getting older, and now I am having problems.

Now the camera only occasionally works. When it doesn't work (and I'm in reverse) the screen is either all black, or all black with the "Check surroundings for safety" message. I have found that if I disconnect and reconnect the black intermediate connector on the camera wire the camera will work again for a time or two. (I can do that with the car on or off with the same temporary results.) Simply pushing the connector together or wiggling it has no effect - I have to pull it apart and put it together.

Does this suggest a problem with the camera or with the head unit? Is there a way to test to determine which end has the problem? (Any suggestions on what other camera to use?)

Thanks to anyone with thoughts or suggestions on this!

Last edited by rfranzel; 09-27-2016 at 06:34 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Back up Camrea installation to the NAV unt (with pictures)

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands