Back up Camrea installation to the NAV unt (with pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 05:40 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Back up Camrea installation to the NAV unt (with pictures)

Hello Again,

A quick follow-up. I purchased an inexpensive camera ($16) - the eSky EC170-08 to replace the Eclipse. The Eclipse, as we all know, is a 6V camera that gets it's power source from the head unit while the new camera requires 12V. Tapping into the backup lights easily resolved that. Like all modern backup cameras the video is delivered to the head unit via an RCA plug which was not part of the 2007 OEM head unit picture. I used all the old Eclipse wiring, cut the red wire, soldered the yellow wires together, and soldered the white wire to the shielding of the RCA wire. I kept the original Eclipse plug in the circuit so that I could easily remove it if I needed to.

All is good once again.

Old 10-31-2016, 08:25 AM
Enthusiast

I had the Rostra 250-8076 backup camera installed on my 09 Camry hybrid. Since install, I had the dealer send me 2 more cameras, as the image on the nav screen would change from colour to black and white. Rostra thought it was defective cameras, but I am beginning to doubt that the problem is with the cameras. From starting the engine, I shift to reverse, and get a colour image, shifting to reverse after this, the image is black and white. If I shut the engine off, and re-start, I get the colour image again, but subsequent shifts to reverse, back to the black and white cycle again.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Rick

Old 01-28-2018, 07:40 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ed_of_Indy
Almost a 4 year-old thread and continues to help us TCH owners. Thank you so much JagBagri!!!
I installed my backup camera last night and it took me less than 2 hours to install. But i did a whole week of planning. Of course I printed and read this thread 5 times which made my installation so much easy what would've been otherwise a week-long project.
Anyway, I installed the Rostra (250-8076) Backup camera (again suggestion from someone in this forum). The pre-crimped pins on the for the R10 made the installation really easy. The connectors just went right through the R10 connector and no need to mess with CD-ROM pins etc. This pre-installed pins will cut your intallation time i half!.
Very happy with the camera and doubly happy with the help and tips i get from the contributors to this very useful forum. Cheers to JagBagri and to all who added added their additional tips.
This thread is great! I recently bough a used TCH 2007 and wanted to install a backup camera. i decided to go with the Rostra 250-8076. the wires came with the clips and so it was very easy to insert the white wire of the navigation interface harness into pin 23 and the red wire into pin 22 of the R10 connector. However now i'm stuck because I'm not sure if any of the remaining wires are supposed to go into pin 21 and 24? This is the step on the manuals that I'm stuck: "RE-ENGAGE THE TERMINAL RETAINER AND REPLACE THE CONNECTOR. CRIMP THE SUPPLIED RED SPADE TERMINALS TO THE ENDS OF THE CAMERA POWER HARNESS. CONNECT THE WHITE-STRIPED WIRE TO THE SUPPLIED FUSE, CONNECT THE FUSE TO REVERSE LIGHT POWER, AND CONNECT THE OTHER BLACK WIRE TO GROUND USING THE SUPPLIED RED AND BLUE T-TAPS (FIGURES 4,6)" http://www.rostra.com/manuals/250-8076_Form5103A.pdf
If i interpret it correctly, then then diagram for the Rostra setup is slightly different from the BEC106 and won't require any wires to go into pin 21 and 24?

After more than 10 years, I hope some of you guys are still here to help me out with the installation! Thanks!

Old 04-12-2018, 08:25 AM
Enthusiast

Hi everyone, it seems like the Eclipse BEC106 is not available anymore. The latest model is BEC113, anyone knows if it will work like BEC106? BEC113 Ebay Link

Old 05-22-2018, 10:24 PM
Enthusiast

I found an affordable camera on ebay for my 2008 Camry Hybrid and it installs and works fine. The camera kit already comes with the 4 metal connectors that you are supposed to insert into the factory plastic connector: Linky

Old 12-16-2023, 08:07 AM
Enthusiast

Hey everyone -

Thank you for sharing this info about adding the reverse camera to your TCH Factory Nav. I have a 09 TCH with Factory JBL NAV E7011. I am in the same boat that BEC106 is not available anymore. Does anyone have a recommendation about other alternatives or an experience installing BEC113 to a 07 - 09 Camry or Camry Hybrid?

Any help/guidance will be really appreciated.