Battery color and Consumption question

Old 08-29-2006, 10:01 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Battery color and Consumption question

My apologies if this has already been asked but what do the various colors of the battery indicator mean?

I notice that if the battery indicator is green the car seems to switch much easier in to EV mode. Whereas it seems to take a bit more effort on my part to get it to do that when the battery is blue.

Second question, I usually use the consumption view...with the updated chart of the mpg for thirty minutes...laid out in 5 minute increments. I want to understand more about the other display that shows how the power is flowing. I know what it's showing but how are people using that display? I would appreciate any insight into it.

Also, has anyone else noticed that the FAN button doesn't have a light when it is pressed/depressed. The other buttons do.

Thanks

Byron

Old 08-30-2006, 04:32 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Battery color and Consumption question

Originally Posted by ByronJames2003
My apologies if this has already been asked but what do the various colors of the battery indicator mean?
No apologies necessary. Just send cash.

I notice that if the battery indicator is green the car seems to switch much easier in to EV mode. Whereas it seems to take a bit more effort on my part to get it to do that when the battery is blue.
I don't have the NAV system, but can probably help. I assume that when the color is green you have more bars and when it's blue you have less bars on the battery display. That's because you have a higher state of charge (SOC) when in the green region. The TCH (and all hybrids) allow their batteries to only go through small fluctuations in charge to maximize battery life. So when the battery's low the TCH is going to resist EV mode and charge the batteries with the ICE.

Second question, I usually use the consumption view...with the updated chart of the mpg for thirty minutes...laid out in 5 minute increments. I want to understand more about the other display that shows how the power is flowing. I know what it's showing but how are people using that display? I would appreciate any insight into it.
I'm not sure how to specifically answer this other than to help you drive more efficiently. You'll see that when you take your foot off the gas the energy will flow from the wheels to the battery so you learn to coast to traffic lights rather than continuing to keep your foot on the accelerator and using more brakes. You'll be able to see when you're in electric mode and learn to coax the car into electric mode when appropriate.

Also, has anyone else noticed that the FAN button doesn't have a light when it is pressed/depressed. The other buttons do.
I can believe that. Most other buttons (A/C, rear window defroster, RECIRC, etc.) are on/off buttons so the light indicates what state they're in. The fan buttons either raise or lower the fan speed. You have a bar graph display that shows the fan speed. A light that shows on/off would be redundant.

Thanks

Byron
You're Welcome!!!! (Don't forget to send the cash)

Old 08-30-2006, 05:12 AM
WVGasGuy
Default Re: Battery color and Consumption question

The top two bars are green, the bottom are violet. They represent a full and low SOC

I believe the consumption screen bars are laid out in 1 minute increments. Deceptive untill you understand them because speed and actual distance coverd is not easily compared when your looking at a mpg reading over time.

The bar graph on the fan works well once you get used to recognizing it.

The ENERGY screen will teach you to understand how your system works. One specific mode, not shown on the non-nav system is when the ICE is driving the wheels AND charging the battery. When I am in that mode in rolling hills I am able to achieve >50 mpg. Your terrain may not allow for that. If you watch the screen for a while you will understand the system.

As far as maximizing FE, the handiest item is still the instant FE gage on the left side of the dash. It's a constant reminder to lift your foot.