Better Mileage with a TRD air filter

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 09:18 AM
Ham
Enthusiast
Thumbs up Better Mileage with a TRD air filter

Folks,

My buddy is a drag racing corvette owner, and all of those racing guys swear that the replaceable K&N style "oiled air filter" gets them something like 3-5% more power (verified on a dyno).

Well last time I went to toyota parts to buy a new air filter for the engine, I asked if TRD made an "oiled air filter" for the Camry Hybrid.....turns out they do.

An oiled air filter relies on oil on the filter to clean the air. They go three times as long between servicing as the standard filter, and then when they do need to be serviced you just spray them clean with a spray botle and re-oil them with a kit...you keep the same air filter forever. This combined with the fact that the TRD filter is supposed to get you better performance (better air flow) and that the TRD filter is only about $70 while a new standard filter is something like $20 and only lasts something like 17k miles, convinced me to get the TRD filter. The TRD cleaning kit is good for tens of cleanings and only costs $20.

Well I wasnt completely happy with how the TRD filter went into the box, but as far as I can tell, I am getting about 3 or 5 miles per gallon better mileage with the same driving as measured at the gas pump.

As an odd side effect, it seems like the "tank average" reading on the dash as well as the "mileage for this run" indicator for the driver are much less accurate and perhaps a little eratic now with the new filter.

I am interested in hearing from others who have put in the TRD engine air filter.

I am now going to post pictures of the TRD filter box and TRD filter cleaning kit.

Tom

Old 08-11-2007, 11:04 AM
Roy
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Better Mileage with a TRD air filter

Originally Posted by Ham
Folks,

My buddy is a drag racing corvette owner, and all of those racing guys swear that the replaceable K&N style "oiled air filter" gets them something like 3-5% more power (verified on a dyno).

Well last time I went to toyota parts to buy a new air filter for the engine, I asked if TRD made an "oiled air filter" for the Camry Hybrid.....turns out they do.

An oiled air filter relies on oil on the filter to clean the air. They go three times as long between servicing as the standard filter, and then when they do need to be serviced you just spray them clean with a spray botle and re-oil them with a kit...you keep the same air filter forever. This combined with the fact that the TRD filter is supposed to get you better performance (better air flow) and that the TRD filter is only about $70 while a new standard filter is something like $20 and only lasts something like 17k miles, convinced me to get the TRD filter. The TRD cleaning kit is good for tens of cleanings and only costs $20.

Well I wasnt completely happy with how the TRD filter went into the box, but as far as I can tell, I am getting about 3 or 5 miles per gallon better mileage with the same driving as measured at the gas pump.

As an odd side effect, it seems like the "tank average" reading on the dash as well as the "mileage for this run" indicator for the driver are much less accurate and perhaps a little eratic now with the new filter.

I am interested in hearing from others who have put in the TRD engine air filter.

I am now going to post pictures of the TRD filter box and TRD filter cleaning kit.

Tom
K$N is a great marketing company. They were asked years ago to substantiate their claims with a public before and after dyno pull. I am not aware that they have done so as yet.

Be careful with oiling the filter, don't put too much on it as you may gum up thinggs downstream.

Old 08-11-2007, 11:35 AM
Ham
Enthusiast

No need for K&N to test it, just go to a performance car forum and ask about it. At least in my experience, many individuals have put their cars on the dyno and seen the difference, my buddy being one of them.
Granted the K&N filter made a smaller difference than other latter mods he did to his corvette Z06, including headers, camshaft and programming, but the filter DID make a difference on the dyno for him and others in his circle. Performance spark plugs did NOT make a measurable difference to him (disregarding position changes in the plug).

Even without any performance improvement at all, it still makes economic sense to get the TRD filter if you plan on keeping the car for more than 3 or 4 regular filter changes or so...not to mention it is maintnence you can now do less often.

Tom

Old 08-11-2007, 01:01 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I am using a K&N. I see no performance gains by using this filter. I mean, how much extra performance can you expect out of a I4 with 147hp? Maybe 2-3 bhp? Nothing that you would be able to feel. But I am using a K&N because I drive 25k miles per year, and it will be much cheaper for me in the long run to have a re-usable filter than to buy disposable air filters.

Old 08-11-2007, 02:02 PM
Active Enthusiast

I don't know anything about the TRD filter, but did grow up when all cars used oil bath air cleaners. When the paper filters came in two advantages were cited -- easier maintenance (since cleaning an oil bath cleaner is messy!) and much better filtration. The paper filter blocks the dirt, which is why it gets more restrictive over time and needs to be replaced. The oil bath relies on the stickiness catching the dirt particles, but much more particles will get through.

So I can see a benefit for racing, but in everyday driving I expect you would be trading slightly improved performance for reduced engine life.

Old 08-12-2007, 12:02 AM
Ham
Enthusiast

Hi Talmy...thanks for the info!

I checked around on the net, and it would seem that the stock toyota filter does provide better filtration than the TRD filter, despite the claims otherwise on the TRD filter box. The TRD filter does though provide better air flow.

I am more interested in longer engine life...I think I will switch back to the stock filter.

Old 08-12-2007, 06:34 AM
Roy
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ham
No need for K&N to test it, just go to a performance car forum and ask about it. At least in my experience, many individuals have put their cars on the dyno and seen the difference, my buddy being one of them.
Granted the K&N filter made a smaller difference than other latter mods he did to his corvette Z06, including headers, camshaft and programming, but the filter DID make a difference on the dyno for him and others in his circle. Performance spark plugs did NOT make a measurable difference to him (disregarding position changes in the plug).

Even without any performance improvement at all, it still makes economic sense to get the TRD filter if you plan on keeping the car for more than 3 or 4 regular filter changes or so...not to mention it is maintnence you can now do less often.

Tom
Not to get into a long debate with you but...

Don't you think that when building the Z06 GM was concerned about performance? Why didn't they use a K&N? Dodge does not have a K&N on the Charger SRT8. No factory hi performance car or truck has a K&N oiled filter on it from the factory that I'm aware of. For some time Dodge would void the engine warranty on the Cummins they used in their trucks if a oiled K&N was used. I don't know if Dodge still is doing this as I sold my truck and it was no longer a issue.

On a stock engine you can only get so much air into it, past the tb, intake valves and so forth, most now regulated by the 'putor. The designer's of our engines have squeezed about all the go out of them that you can get. Very doubtful a oiled air filter is going to get you any more.

With regard to the dyno there was a article where a stock Dodge Cummins powered truck was used. First run was a stock filter, then a Fram, then K&N, then with no filter. Care to guess wich one delivered the best performance? The stock filter, everything else was 1 or 2 HP less.
If you read enough you will find test's that show the K&N filter will let in more air as it isn't as restrictive as some filters, but it also allows more dirt through.

Just my thought's on the issue.

Old 08-12-2007, 12:31 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Roy
If you read enough you will find test's that show the K&N filter will let in more air as it isn't as restrictive as some filters, but it also allows more dirt through.

Just my thought's on the issue.
I have to agree from first hand experience. I switched to a K&N filter for my F150 that I haul horses with, often on dirt roads. With the K&N the throttle body would need cleaning about every 6 months to remove a build up ridge of dirt around the throttle plate. You ask how I knew it needed cleaning? The trucks idle would become rough, surging and almost stalling after about 6 months. Cleaning away the ridge of dirt restored smooth idle. After the second time this happened, I switched back to the stock paper filter. Now I often go over 5 years without having to clean the throttle body. I still have the truck (and my horse!) after 22 years.

Old 08-12-2007, 08:14 PM
Enthusiast

Is there an oil filter that allows you to change only once a year or 25k miles? What about changing oil once a year?

Old 08-12-2007, 09:46 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by megamonsterman
Is there an oil filter that allows you to change only once a year or 25k miles? What about changing oil once a year?
The terd filter is sort of like the K&N, only stops the large grasshoppers and will destroy the MAS sensor in no time.

Quick Reply: Better Mileage with a TRD air filter

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands