Bleeding brakes

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 01:57 PM
Dazed and Confused
Default Re: Bleeding brakes

Will a "mongoose" cable with TIS work to bleed the brakes, or is a full techstream required?

I need a new actuator, but dont want to pay $3000 for it especially since I have 215,000 miles on my car. $3000 is over half the value of my car.

If the mongoose cable and tis work, i can do the jokb myself for under $900 using a rebuilt actuator and a chinese knock off of the mongoose cable.

Old 11-06-2013, 02:28 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cbd
Good grief there's a lot involved. If you attempt this, I look forward to hearing how it all went. Be safe!

No, hell, no. I'll outsource this. Greg's Japanese Auto or shops like that.

Though I am VERY suspicious, that for single corner caliper bleed, all this is not necessary and it can be bled regular way, or having vacuum pump attached and fluid simply sucked out. As far as fluid level stays good in the canister, how can it possibly go wrong in a closed circuit system? Actuators or not.

Old 11-06-2013, 03:01 PM
Dazed and Confused

I'll bet that when you open the bleed screw the system senses fluid loss and closes that brake line at the actuator to prevent total brake system failure.

Old 11-06-2013, 03:09 PM

That is possible. Ain't no telling until you try it, aye, mate? Also, what if I simply pull ECM and brake assist fuses out? To turn it into a dumb hydraulic system? As as far as I understand, if brake assist fails, brakes go into what is called a fail mode, which is conventional hydraulic brake.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator

ukrkoz,

Take a look under the hood, you have NO connection to the "master cylinder" like you do in a normal car. The ECM controls ALL of the braking using a brake by wire management system. If you pull the computer out of the equation, make sure your insurance is paid up....

As far as the "mongoose" cable is concerned, try running the actuator tests to see if it will perform them. If it does, give it a try. the worst that can happen is that you have it towed to the dealer or indie shop to have them bleed it.

Have you figured out what critter to sacrifice yet??

Old 11-06-2013, 08:44 PM

??????

Last edited by GeorgiaHybrid; 11-07-2013 at 08:45 AM.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:44 AM

Okra and corn bread.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ukrkoz

??????

If you decide to try this, what critter will you sacrifice to the auto gods? Chicken? Goat?, Pig?......
Cruel humor from the south....

EDIT:

I screwed up (old age is setting in) and edited ukrkoz"s post instead of quoting it and didn't catch it. Apologies to all for that...

Old 11-08-2013, 06:04 AM

David, you think this scanner will work on our cars? For say cost of bleeding brakes, and what else, it might be worth buying it.

http://www.dhgate.com/product/dhgate...FRFxQgodk2kA5w

Old 11-09-2013, 09:25 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
David, you think this scanner will work on our cars? For say cost of bleeding brakes, and what else, it might be worth buying it.

http://www.dhgate.com/product/dhgate...FRFxQgodk2kA5w

I have no idea if that one would work or not. You could try calling them to see what they tell you about the capabilities.

Quick Reply: Bleeding brakes

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands