Blown Fuse + New Fuse + Increased Range error??

Old 02-09-2009, 07:03 AM
Enthusiast
Question Blown Fuse + New Fuse + Increased Range error??

Hello all -

This past week my #13 fuse blew .. the one that is for all the interior lighting, the trunk light, the gauges and meters, and possibly one or two other things as well. I was installing some new lighting in my trunk, which should not overload the 10apm fuse, but I must have crossed some wires or something, so it blew. Replaced the fuse, correctly installed my modded trunk light (2 of those cold cathode tubes - works nicely!), and everything is back to normal.... except noticed something new. I usually get around 27-30mpg per tank, and the 'Miles to Empty' or whatnot gauge has never read beyond '425 miles to go'. Currently it says '505 miles to go', and my only thought is that the blown fuse tweaked the computer just a little bit with that. Has anyone had this same thing happen to them before? Do I need to reset something or is the car fine? Thanks for your help!

Old 02-09-2009, 11:54 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Blown Fuse + New Fuse + Increased Range error??

Originally Posted by talljetman2
Hello all -

This past week my #13 fuse blew .. the one that is for all the interior lighting, the trunk light, the gauges and meters, and possibly one or two other things as well. I was installing some new lighting in my trunk, which should not overload the 10apm fuse, but I must have crossed some wires or something, so it blew. Replaced the fuse, correctly installed my modded trunk light (2 of those cold cathode tubes - works nicely!), and everything is back to normal.... except noticed something new. I usually get around 27-30mpg per tank, and the 'Miles to Empty' or whatnot gauge has never read beyond '425 miles to go'. Currently it says '505 miles to go', and my only thought is that the blown fuse tweaked the computer just a little bit with that. Has anyone had this same thing happen to them before? Do I need to reset something or is the car fine? Thanks for your help!
Maybe you became a better TCH driver and are getting higher MPG?

Old 02-15-2009, 06:33 PM
Enthusiast

Hehe .. Possibly. I checked the specs on my latest fill-up. My car said I got about 28.5mpg, which is always a few gallons higher than what it really is..and my 'manual' calculation came to 26.9 mpg, which is around about what I have been getting. So I thought.. 27mpg x 16 gallons = 432 miles. So I may be getting a little bit better at my Hybrid driving habits, but it still does nott equate to the nice figure of 'Cruising Range = 505 miles' that was shown. hm...
The Cruising Ranges disappears at about 2.5 gallons left or so right?

Old 02-16-2009, 12:56 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by talljetman2
The Cruising Ranges disappears at about 2.5 gallons left or so right?
That's correct.

If the cruising range data was reset with the blown fuse, then when you filled up you might have been doing "better" (driving for mpg) than normal and since the system did not have any historical data to work off of, it used what your "real-time" average was. I wouldn't be surprised if it magically drop all of a sudden.

That said, I find the "cruising" range to be helpful but must be taken with a grain of salt. If the driver really knows their car, they should have some idea of how far they have by looking at the gas gauge. Personally, I find little added value of the cruising range other than when it says zero I think I can go xx miles more.