Brakes Preventative Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 10:39 AM
Enthusiast
Default Brakes Preventative Maintenance

Hi guys,
Just got back from the mechanic to replace my L rear rotor and pads + Front R pads. I noticed some grinding lately from the L rear. The inner pads weren't moving freely on both these sides. Car has 135,000 kms on it so a bit early for a change but most accounts.
The R front pad actually was broken in half.

I'm just curious is there anything I could have done to prevent this. When changing my R rear hub I lubed and antiseized a lot of the brake parts. Is this worth doing to the rest of the brakes?

Just hoping for some advice. I've never actually run into a problem like this.

Old 07-02-2015, 01:23 PM
Professor Emeritus
Default Re: Brakes Preventative Maintenance

When I first inspected my brakes (a long time ago around 70,000 miles), I found that half of the slide pins on the calipers had seized. Luckily I caught it early and now about every30,000 or 40,000 miles I pull, clean and lube all the slide pins and re-apply anti-squeal paste to the backs of all the pads. I feel that this should be regular/preventative maintenance on these cars.

It seems that most people seem to have problem with the rears before the fronts. IE: one pad being completely worn or worn at an angle and the other one being OK. If you catch it early, you can salvage what you have, lube everything up and keep on truckin. If not, you usually need to replace a bunch of stuff.

At 220,000 miles now, I am still on the original pads and rotors. They have at least 60 to 70 percent left on all of them! Speaking of which, I need to pull them again soon and have a look!

Old 07-02-2015, 05:48 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks litespeed. I'll start with the slide pins and lube. Totally agree that this should be regular maintenance. Probably doesn't help that I live in Canada where salt is used on the roads 6 months of the year.

Really appreciate the response!

Old 07-03-2015, 04:49 PM
Professor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Feebz13
Thanks litespeed. I'll start with the slide pins and lube. Totally agree that this should be regular maintenance. Probably doesn't help that I live in Canada where salt is used on the roads 6 months of the year.

Really appreciate the response!
Oh ****... Yea, no problem.

If your up there, change that interval to around 20,000 miles.

Take your time, do it right and look at other things while your in there. I always put some aerospace 303 on my drive boots, slide pin boots, steering rack boots, strut boots and control arm bushings.

If you are dealing with a lot of salt, you may want to do even more to the bare metal around the engine and trans-axle. Sorry I cannot give more info. on that. Not sure what to say about that?

One thing I have noticed from watching my wife drive this car in the rain.... The back of the front tires put a HUGE column of water right on the rear tires and brakes. I'm thinking that this is why most people have more problems with the rear brakes first. They see 10 times the water intrusion the front brakes would see.

Old 07-03-2015, 08:31 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

You should be rotating tires at least once a year. Use that opportunity to remove pads and lubricate guide pins and areas where pads sit on bracket.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:44 PM
Enthusiast

Brakes squeal on me, thought it was time to replace the pads. Now, I shal inspect and grease the pins.

Old 08-07-2015, 07:07 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I had it posted several times.
TOYOTA ROTORS GLAZE FROM BRAKE PADS CONTACT AND BEGIN TO SQUEAL. Has none to do with lubricating. De-glaze rotors and squeal goes away.
BED IN ROTORS IMMEDIATELY AFTER YOU REINSTALLED THEM.
DO NOT USE CERAMIC BRAKE PADS.

I WARNED YOU.

Old 08-07-2015, 07:20 PM
Professor Emeritus

I think he is probably confusing "lubricating the slide pins" with putting the anti-squeal paste on the backs of the pads (which does work, by the way).

A complete preventative "brake service" on this car would include, pulling and cleaning the slide pins and puling and cleaning the backs of the pads and re-applying anti-squeal paste or grease.

I have had "the squeal" a couple times. Both times I pulled the pads (original pads), re-applied anti-squeal grease and the noise went away. FWIW.