Brushless car washes

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 07:42 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Brushless car washes

Now that winter is setting in, I want to be able to remove the salt build up from my car when the temps get above freezing. Using the high pressure hose in the good ol' manual fashion can be a pain when in work clothes and can eat up a lot of money.

That said, does anyone have an thoughts on brushless car washes? I want to avoid brush car washes as to not put swirls in the paint.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 12-05-2007, 08:16 AM
Default Re: Brushless car washes

Try premoistened wipes

Old 12-05-2007, 08:20 AM

Generally, brushless washes are OK. An expection to that is when they used recycled water. Check first. Although probably better for the environment, it can contain contaminants that can scratch. I personally use an automated wash in the winter, because it is better than leaving the salt on the car - but I'm picky about where I go, and I never use one in the warmer weather, prefering to wash by hand.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by rmorrow
...I never use one in the warmer weather, prefering to wash by hand.
WSJ online reporting that...
Towns May Shut Off Tap On Home Car Washing

By JIM CARLTON
December 4, 2007; Page B1

The surging environmental movement appears poised to claim a common American pastime: washing the family car.
In King County, Wash., local officials are mulling a move to prohibit residents from washing their cars on the street over concerns that the runoff is sloshing into Puget Sound. In Fairfax, Calif., fearing similar runoff pollution, officials have proposed a ban on washing cars in front of one's home, with citations and possible imprisonment for violators....

Old 12-05-2007, 08:25 AM
Beyond AM. Beyond FM.

My TCH was only handwashed once in the year that I owned it. I found a new automatic touchless wash at a self-service car wash across town. $10 for the works, undercarriage flush, pre-soak, high pressure wash, polish, spot free rinse, and blow dry.

It did a great job, and after a year's time, the finish looked and felt better than the cars that I would hand wash once a week, and clay bar and wax twice a year. I used that carwash every 2 to 4 weeks.

With the Highlander Hybrid I picked up this weekend, I plan the same treatment for it. Especially since there's so much more to wash, and the roof is not easily reachable.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:27 AM
Beyond AM. Beyond FM.

Originally Posted by haroldo
And rub the dirt and grit right into the clearcoat? No way!

Old 12-05-2007, 08:30 AM

Absolutely agree. There are however car washes that you can go to and wash your car by hand. The waste water is properly managed.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by jay_man2
My TCH was only handwashed once in the year that I owned it. I found a new automatic touchless wash at a self-service car wash across town. $10 for the works, undercarriage flush, pre-soak, high pressure wash, polish, spot free rinse, and blow dry.
I find the "spot free rinse" leaves a horrible coating on the glass that is very tough to get off. (At least the place I go to wash by "hand".) I don't use it anymore.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:53 AM

Not to start a argument, but lets just forget about all the salt they dump on the roads in the north east...I am sure that does FAR more damage than MQ's car soap and road grim.

Honestly, I think it is being targeted because it is an "easy" target. I don't like to pollute but seriously, there are FAR WORSE things going on. Heck, the power plant in my area is polluting at 125% of the NY state average. Why aren't they cracked down on?

Old 12-05-2007, 09:23 AM

Agreed. However, there are things within my direct control - and that's one of them, so regardless of whether industry is being properly regulated, I still can choose to do what I can. Note that this is a choice I'd make even if it wasn't a law (or by-law).