Camry hybrid coolant system change

Old 07-23-2015, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator
Default Re: Camry hybrid coolant system change

Two things, when you did the coolant change on the engine, did you run the heater on high? That will burp most of the air out of that area in the cooling system. I also use a vacuum assist to put coolant into the engine but even then, you need to add coolant until the radiator is full and then fill the coolant tank to the proper level. Follow the directions in the water pump thread to put the car into maintenance mode and make SURE you have all of the air out of the system.

Did you replace the belt at the same time? You also need to make sure you didn't disconnect the cooling fans while working on the pump.

As far as the hybrid drive cooling system goes, there are people that have changed the coolant without a scan tool. I would not recommend doing it that way however as you can screw up some very expensive hardware in a hurry if anything goes wrong.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:37 PM
Enthusiast

On my Camry...I would've changed the fluid without the scan tool until I took the hybrid class at De Anza. Ignorance is bliss, and will cause you to be stranded on the side of the road.

Old 03-05-2016, 10:06 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks georgiahybrid. Just did this on my 2007 TCH. Very easy job with a scan tool.

I was at 155,000 km (~100,000 miles). The canadian maintenance guide suggests doing this at 128,000 km.

For those of you with the techstream running the water pump is quite easy.
Follow georgiahybrid's suggestion and in techstrem go to the hybrid system. Here, there's an active test menu. You can toggle the waterpump from this menu.
Cost of fluid and crush washer was $25 will fluid leftover!

Old 06-17-2016, 12:38 PM
Enthusiast

I did inverter coolant flush on Camry hybrid with tech stream software that came with in a cd with the dongle from Amazon. I was able to turn on the inverter pump on and off to purge air bubbles cable cost 20$ Was tricky to install on Windows 10 found post on the Internet to install on x64 system. Georgia thanks for your help with my coolant flush and your directions

Old 03-27-2017, 08:31 AM
Enthusiast

Do you by any chance still have that info on installing on windows 10 ? Thanks

Old 09-29-2017, 03:49 PM
Enthusiast

I have the same problem. What should we do? Can someone help please?

Old 10-23-2017, 05:25 PM
Enthusiast
Talking Re: Camry hybrid coolant system change

Just did the water pump and the inverter coolant drain last weekend. Car has 144,000 km.

The inverter coolant cover plate was leaking due to gasket deterioration. Why do they even have a plate when there is a drain plug? Design flaw.
Below comment is for the inverter fill procedure:.

Very straight forward. Techstream NOT REQUIRED. The system has a safety build in.
As soon as you start the engine, pump turns on automatically as part of safety check circuit.
If coolant is low, pump will shut down automatically before major component burn out.

Here we go.....EZ Does it.

1) Make sure drain plug is installed and tight.
2) Top up the coolant to full mark. Leave cap open with funnel ready to fill in step 4)
3) Start the car - Depress brake and push "Start". Should see "Ready" status. Pump will automatically sucks down the coolant.
4) Move quickly to fill the coolant as the level drops. Fill to "Max" and let it cycle for 3-5 mins.
5) Once no more bubble is seen. Top up to "Max"
6) Push "Start" to shut down engine.

You're done. Enjoy the rest of your day.

Old 01-01-2018, 08:20 AM
Enthusiast

you can buy techstream off ebay or amazon with dongle and run on laptop i used it to do inverter coolant flush.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0177.JPG (4.66 MB, 39 views)
Old 01-12-2018, 09:27 AM
Enthusiast

So I'm new to the forum, I've been researching how to change this coolant and aside from this thread I've come up empty handed. Has anyone been 100% successful doing this WITHOUT the bidirectional code reader? I can't find anyone in my area who will even touch the cars inverter cooling system aside from Toyota themselves, and they want over 150$ for the job. Do you guys know of an alternate way to run the pump or if the system will truly purge itself (as one person has mentioned above) I'd really appreciate it.

Old 01-12-2018, 11:26 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Luisg47
So I'm new to the forum, I've been researching how to change this coolant and aside from this thread I've come up empty handed. Has anyone been 100% successful doing this WITHOUT the bidirectional code reader? I can't find anyone in my area who will even touch the cars inverter cooling system aside from Toyota themselves, and they want over 150$ for the job. Do you guys know of an alternate way to run the pump or if the system will truly purge itself (as one person has mentioned above) I'd really appreciate it.
I m sorry I have not tried it but you can get the tool off Ebay dongle with the cd has techstream and you can do it that way like I did I was easy to purge the system with techstream it won’t cost more than 20 bucks for the tool

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Camry hybrid coolant system change

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands