Camry transaxle fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 02:17 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Camry transaxle fluid change

Thanks for the writeup, I could only get roughly 4 quarts of mine using the funnel method. When I took out the filler bolt (not the drain bolt, it shot out of there crazy like. Anyone else barely get 4 quarts in their 2008 or so TCH?

Old 10-26-2014, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

Don't worry about it as long as you filled the trans up to the fill hole. I fill until fluid runs out to make sure it is filled correctly. If you are a little high in the front or high on the drivers side, you might not get everything drained out before you start the re-fill.

Old 10-27-2014, 05:09 AM
Professor Emeritus

Originally Posted by robsnyder20
Thanks for the writeup, I could only get roughly 4 quarts of mine using the funnel method. When I took out the filler bolt (not the drain bolt, it shot out of there crazy like. Anyone else barely get 4 quarts in their 2008 or so TCH?
The first couple times I did mine, there was a little bit left in the 4th quart.

I just did it again for the 3rd time a couple months ago and I managed to get all 4 quarts in. Not sure what I did different. All I can think is that the car was not completely level. I actually used a level this time to make sure the car was absolutely level.

Old 05-05-2015, 11:16 AM
Enthusiast

Hi Georgia,
Your post says 18mm Crush washer, where as the post on the sticky notes says 12mm crush washer for the fluid change. Which one is it? I am changing the fluid myself.

Old 05-05-2015, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

2009TCH,

I'm pretty sure it is a 18mm crush washer but I am not anywhere near my car right now. I always replace mine but to be honest about it, you could re-use it at least once if you do have the wrong washer when you change the fluid. The 12mm crush washer is for the oil change plug.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:22 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid
2009TCH,

I'm pretty sure it is a 18mm crush washer but I am not anywhere near my car right now. I always replace mine but to be honest about it, you could re-use it at least once if you do have the wrong washer when you change the fluid. The 12mm crush washer is for the oil change plug.
Thanks I got the correct washers. The next question is that is it OKAY to change the fluid while the car is on ramps and the front wheels are about 7-8 inches higher?

Old 05-07-2015, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, will not make that much difference. At most you might have 1/2 quart of old fluid left in the PSD. That is not enough to worry about.

Old 05-09-2015, 11:39 AM
Enthusiast

Just finished changing the transmisdion fluid. I had the car raised on the ramps 7-8 inches front wheel.

I noticed that when I opened the fill plug some fluid came out abd when I put the new fluid in, I could only put a little less than 4.0Litres, maybe around 3.75L. I did not measure, but Im worried I might have underfill. Is there anything that I should be concerned of? How much tolerance level is there for the transmission level?

Thanks

Old 05-09-2015, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator

The fill is 0 to 5mm from the top. You should be OK but if nothing else, point the car down a slight slope and then drive onto your ramps to level the car out.

Old 05-10-2015, 01:55 PM
Enthusiast

Just an update :

It was really worrying and just for my peace of mind. I took my car to the local lube change station. I went underneath and opened the fill bolt, to my surprise I couldn't feel the fluid with my pinky finger inside. This time the car was completely level. I told the technician to top up the fluid, so it took another 500ml-600ml.

Lesson learned : Always have the car in level position while filling the transmission fluid. I am a mechanical designer and with a little bit of imagination -- if the car is raised on the front 7" on ramps. The fill bolt and the drain bolt are on the very left side of the transmission case (looking towards the driver's side), by raising the car on the front side-- more fluid is expected to come out vs having the car levelled. However while filling up with the new fluid, less fluid will go in than what came out, because the car is tilted and the bolt opening level is low due to the tilt than what it would be while the car is perfectly level. Based on the camry's dimensions and the height of my ramps, the transmission case would be put on an angle of 4 degrees. This could mean that the newly filled transmission fluid level can be anywhere between 5mm-10mm lower than filler bolt. How dangerous or problematic is it? I don't know.

I plan to buy wheel cribs from race ramps in the future so I can raise all four sides up.

Overall this was a good learning experience and I hope the discussions on this thread will be helpful for anyone doing a transmission fluid change in the future.

Last edited by 2009TCH; 05-10-2015 at 02:01 PM.