Can all interior lights be turned off?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 09:09 AM
Enthusiast
Default Can all interior lights be turned off?

I was curious if all the interior lights be turned off when you have the doors open?

My PT Cruiser has a dimmer switch that you can turn all the way down and the all the interior lights(dome, doors) are off when the door is open. This is handy when I'm cleaning the car and don't want to run the battery down with the doors open.

I see an"OFF" on the light control arm on the steering column but the door lights are still on when the door is opened.

Any ideas?

Old 08-28-2006, 09:16 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Can all interior lights be turned off?

I am not sure the specific answer to your ???, but I don't think running the battery down will ever happen.

Also, someone mentioned that it would be hard to run out of gas, is this true? What happens if you let all the gas run out? Do you get EV mode to get you to the gas station?

Originally Posted by rjivey
I was curious if all the interior lights be turned off when you have the doors open?

My PT Cruiser has a dimmer switch that you can turn all the way down and the all the interior lights(dome, doors) are off when the door is open. This is handy when I'm cleaning the car and don't want to run the battery down with the doors open.

I see an"OFF" on the light control arm on the steering column but the door lights are still on when the door is opened.

Any ideas?

Old 08-28-2006, 09:23 AM
Enthusiast

My base TCH has a switch in the ceiling light that can be set to keep the interior lights from coming on when the door is open.
JoAnn
Overeager in MD

Old 08-28-2006, 09:49 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lem144
Also, someone mentioned that it would be hard to run out of gas, is this true? What happens if you let all the gas run out? Do you get EV mode to get you to the gas station?
Toyota strongly recommends against doing this. The system is designed to be used as a hybrid system, not an EV system. The batteries are always kept in a small range of it's potential SOC. Running without gas could allow the batteries to drain well beyond Toyota's desired minimum charge. At the least you could be cutting short your battery's life.

Old 08-28-2006, 09:57 AM
Active Enthusiast

I would assume this would be an emergency maneuver, not something regularly practiced. Essentially my friend was saying you basically never can run out of gas, unless the battery drains.

Originally Posted by Orcrone
Toyota strongly recommends against doing this. The system is designed to be used as a hybrid system, not an EV system. The batteries are always kept in a small range of it's potential SOC. Running without gas could allow the batteries to drain well beyond Toyota's desired minimum charge. At the least you could be cutting short your battery's life.

Old 08-28-2006, 11:06 AM
Active Enthusiast

See the final post in the following thread for experimental results of running out of gas:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ght=experiment

Old 08-28-2006, 04:16 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rjivey
The little **** for the trip-o-meter turns and dims the interior lights. I don't know if it dims everything completely, but other than the dome light switch, I think that's it.