cost of replacement traction battery

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 02:49 PM
Electricity Guzzler
Default cost of replacement traction battery

I was at my dealer. I checked out the cost of replacement batteries.

Was wondering if the cost was similar in the states. Hopefully these costs will be less by the time I need to make such a purchase.

specialty 12 volt glass mat battery

CAD $ 445.30

prod. code 2880028090

I had no idea it was a special 12 v battery until I read about it online here a couple of weeks back on a well discussed post. The price I got was also listed there within a couple of bucks.

--------

traction battery CAD $4720.40

prod. code. G9510-33010 (in Canada)

I was a little disappointed by this. I thought I had read somewhere that it was around 3 grand for the battery.

I wonder how much the prius or highlander replacement battery is?

Old 01-05-2007, 03:32 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: cost of replacement traction battery

I think that by the time you will be in the market for either battery the price will have come down greatly. Why? Because over the next five or six years when that 12 volter is likely to be replaced there will be aftermarket replacements. Other car companies are already commiting to the Toyota HSD system (Ford, Nissan) and more are likely to do so. More hybrids on ther road will tranlate to lower costs for the HV batteries too.

I'm not a marketing expert or an automotive engineer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

Old 01-05-2007, 07:38 PM
Active Enthusiast
Location: Two miles N of the technology 'center-of-the-world' in 1903, on the Outer Banks of NC
Default Re: cost of replacement traction battery

Originally Posted by fullofbeans
I was at my dealer. I checked out the cost of replacement batteries.

Was wondering if the cost was similar in the states. Hopefully these costs will be less by the time I need to make such a purchase.

specialty 12 volt glass mat battery

CAD $ 445.30

prod. code 2880028090

I had no idea it was a special 12 v battery until I read about it online here a couple of weeks back on a well discussed post. The price I got was also listed there within a couple of bucks.

--------

traction battery CAD $4720.40

prod. code. G9510-33010 (in Canada)

I was a little disappointed by this. I thought I had read somewhere that it was around 3 grand for the battery.

I wonder how much the prius or highlander replacement battery is?
I believe that you can search and search and search the 'net for the answer to your question on the replacement cost of the traction battery and come up with......Nothing!

AFAIK no one has had to replace one . They are not at all like the 12v lead acid batteries. Toyota's statement in their literature is that the traction batteries have been benchtested to 180,000 miles ( 300K km )with no derterioration in performance at all. Thus they state that the batteries should last the life of the vehicle, which we all expect on most Toyotas to be about 250K mi ( over 400K km ).

If you keep your TCH that long then frankly putting $3-$4000 batteries into a $1000 vehicle is just not worthwhile.