Declination Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 10:02 PM
Active Enthusiast
Red face Declination Anyone?

Upon checking the compass declination adjustment, I noticed they had mine set for region 8...here in AZ it's region 5... No wonder it was telling me south was east !!

We hybrid owners I suspect are a fairly **** bunch, always with the tweaking and whatnot. I couldn't possibly put another mile on my ODO without having true and precise compass readings.

For those who've never heard of magnetic declination, it is basically the variance of where your compass points in relation to True North. Bottom line...set your vehicle to the proper mag dec setting and have a more accurate compass. You smug NAV folx probably don't give a hoot with all of your techno gadgets and gizmos.

Find your declination adjustment value in your owner's manual.

You can find the proper directions also in the O.M., but the long and short is this:

Power on vehicle
Hold AUTO button on rearview mirror in
Compass display will turn off...keep holding...
Compass display will display the magnetic declination number it is set at
Release Auto button on rearview
Push Auto button repeatedly until your proper declination number comes up

Happy Orienteering!

Last edited by Eskimonio; 08-17-2006 at 10:07 PM.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:23 AM
HSD Organic Interface
Default Re: Declination Anyone?

I'm pretty sure 95% of the NAV owners and 50% of the non-NAV owners didn't even realize the TCH has a compass

Old 08-18-2006, 06:30 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Droid13
I'm pretty sure 95% of the NAV owners and 50% of the non-NAV owners didn't even realize the TCH has a compass
Yea in any other car, I would be like COOL, a compass! The TCH has too many other cool things to distract you.

Old 08-18-2006, 07:01 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Our salesperson pointed out the compass when we were reviewing our delivery checklist. I hadn't noticed it in the test drive vehicle.

Old 08-18-2006, 07:12 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

OK, Chicago lies right on the line dividing zone 8 and 9. Mine was set at 8 from the dealer.

Also did everyone with a NAV set the Timezone and DST correctly?
Mine was not set by the dealer.
Having it set correctly enables using the "Arrival Time" mode instead of the "Time to Destination". I'd rather know the actual time of day I'll arrive rather than hours and minutes to the destination. But that's me. And it's easy to change with a single button push even when in motion.
My '04 Prius did not have this option.
J

Old 08-18-2006, 09:28 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by schmidtj
Having it set correctly enables using the "Arrival Time" mode instead of the "Time to Destination". J
I've got practically the same NAV system in my '05 Seqouia as in the TCH and I never knew that you could get an "Arrival Time" mode instead of the "Time to Destination". How do you do that? I've got our Time Zone and DST set correctly and I still get "Time to Destination".

Actually, I'm just curious about this as I'm not sure I would change it anyway. We like to use the Seqouia on long trips because it holds more luggage and baseball equipment and we like the elbow room and comfort as well. My 9 yr. old son still likes to ask, "How long till we get there?" and I love telling him (I actually don't have to tell him anymore) to look at the NAV.

Old 08-18-2006, 10:05 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

My compass was not set for my region either, it came delivered set at 8.

Old 08-18-2006, 10:40 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by MagcamyH
I've got practically the same NAV system in my '05 Seqouia as in the TCH and I never knew that you could get an "Arrival Time" mode instead of the "Time to Destination". How do you do that? I've got our Time Zone and DST set correctly and I still get "Time to Destination".
Press the icon that shows the time enroute and it expands to allow you to set it to arrival time mode. If you have intermediate destinations they too will display when you press the icon. The one that toggles the time mode is the one to the farthest right.
Hope this helps,
J

Old 08-18-2006, 10:42 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by flopshot
My compass was not set for my region either, it came delivered set at 8.
I wonder if "8" is the factory default for US destined cars. It's right in the middle.
J

Old 08-18-2006, 11:33 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: Declination Anyone?

Sheesh, I read the post title, "Declination anyone?" and thought it had to do with hair removal.

Quick Reply: Declination Anyone?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands