Did you install your own satellite radio?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 05:53 PM
Enthusiast
Default Did you install your own satellite radio?

I want to install a Sirius Sportster. My question: how did you thread the cable from the rubber insulation of the back window *into* the trunk? It seems all solid to me. Do I really need to cut under the black seam on the trunk?

Old 03-10-2008, 07:03 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Did you install your own satellite radio?

As per the Toyota instructions.....well actually I didn't quite follow those.

If you remove the passenger side seat back (not the part that folds down, the part that doesn't between the seat back and the door), there is a nice big hole to get wires through. Just remove the bolt at the bottom (after removing the seat cushion) and the bolster comes up, then off.

Good Luck!

Dang

Old 03-11-2008, 04:05 PM
Newbie and lovin' it!

I put the antenna for my starmate inside the car on the rear deck. No problems with reception, easy to thread wire, and no little black bump on the outside of the car. BTW with a little creative wiring, (go on the passenger side) you can mount the head unit in the little cubby hole under the radio at the front of the console. Then you can close the lid when you park the car, and no one can see the radio.

I used the base of a cheap picture frame and some velcro to make a bracket to hold the radio. I ROCK!!!

Old 03-11-2008, 04:19 PM
Pragmatist

The Toyota-brand kit has an antenna that mounts inside the windshield. I don't like that because of poor reception when the satellite is "behind" the car. So I also used a roof-mounted antenna. Here's how I routed the antenna cable:

From the top of the roof, the wire goes into the slot that is under the rubber around the edge of the window. Use a thin putty knife (covered with blue tape to prevent scratching the paint) to hold the rubber out of the way while inserting the wire. Use a second device, such as a small sliver of wood, to push the wire into the slot. Do not use metal tools without being covered in tape, because they will scratch the paint. Run the wire all the way around the edge of the window, to a point on the bottom of the window a few inches in from the corner.

From the bottom of the window, there is not a nice way into the trunk. You really don't want to drill a hole there because it would let water into the trunk, directly above the high-voltage battery! I just ran the wire across the 3 or 4 inches to the trunk gasket. That area is completely covered by the trunk lid when it is closed, so it doesn't show. A little tape is useful to keep it from moving.

Then, under the trunk gasket and around the edge to get inside the trunk. The trunk gasket pulls up and reinstalls very easily. I put some electrical tape to cover the sharp edges of the metal at the trunk lip, to avoid problems with cutting the insulation on the wire. Run the wire parallel to the trunk lip for an inch or two at the top, instead of straight up and straight down, so you can avoid sharp bends in the wire. Sharp bends in the wire can reduce reception quality, and eventually cause the wire to fail.

From there, its just a short hop across the metal on the inside of the trunk, to the trim that covers the inside of the trunk. Again, a piece of tape might be helpful. Then its easy to route the rest of the way to the receiver under the front seat. Run it under the plastic trim, not under the carpet, because that route is more protected from damage. The plastic parts pry up easily with the tape-covered putty knife. Just pay attention to all the little clips and inserts when you reassemble.

Last edited by SteveHansen; 03-11-2008 at 04:28 PM.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:02 PM
Enthusiast

I had Best Buy install an Audiovox with a 1" square magnetic antenna that sits on the trunk. It cost about $75 for the installation (including hardware). The head fits nicely in the lower dash compartment and connects to the aux jack there. When I want XM in my house, I take it out of my quick disconnect module in the car and put it in my quick disconnect module in the house (which is connected to my intercom). The house module cost about $45 as I remember. There is no additional cost for the XM subscription.

Chuck

Old 03-14-2008, 09:33 AM
Enthusiast

I have the Toyota XM module installed - it was put in last week. They placed the antenna on the back of the trunk (at the base of the rear window).

Old 04-16-2008, 11:38 AM
Active Enthusiast

I installed my own SPORTSTER (Sirius).. Although a bit simpler.. I just placed the antenna near the windsheild on the right side of the dash. I tucked the cable down behind the dash and under the door moulding, down the door moulding to under the dash, accross under the glove box and through the little opening on the side of the center console box with the pop up lid. I made a small block of oak and mounted the base on it which slides right into the opening and holds the unit securely. Works just great and I can close the console cover most of the time unless switching channels.. Be nice If I had a remote for it but for $49 bucks, I can live with it.

I wouldn't think it would be worth it to have the on-screen stuff, since it is like $500.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:19 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger
I have the Toyota XM module installed - it was put in last week. They placed the antenna on the back of the trunk (at the base of the rear window).
Hey Tony!!

I bought the Toyota OEM XM kit and installed it myself. It is the same kit that Toyota Service Technicians use and it is pretty cool to see all of the instructions they get: foam tape covering any metal near a wire, wire ties at regular intervals, wire harness covers for most of the cable runs. It inspires confidence that the car and add on components are so well designed.

The window mount (near the center) close to the brake light is where the instructions tell them to stick the antenna. I did not follow that instruction because I found out the little black antenna was magnetic. I routed it out the trunk and up the side of the window – then I stuck it to the roof.

My long winded question is: How is the reception when it is inside the window? I don’t mind the little black bump, but I always have to move it when I am washing the car, scraping snow off the rear window, etc.

Please let me know,
Randyman

Old 04-16-2008, 01:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SteveHansen
The Toyota-brand kit has an antenna that mounts inside the windshield. I don't like that because of poor reception when the satellite is "behind" the car. So I also used a roof-mounted antenna. Here's how I routed the antenna cable:

Hey Steve!!

I’m not going to repeat the long winded explanation I gave TonytheTiger below (or above) but I too installed the XM Satellite kit. I was worried about the reception as well so I mounted the kit antenna on my roof – it is magnetic.

Did you get a permanent one? Is it good looking? Matches the paint?

What brand is it and where did you get it?

How did you mount it to the roof? You did not have to drill did you?

I assume its connector fits the Toyota XM Module tucked in near the battery in the trunk?

Please let me know,
Randyman

Old 04-16-2008, 01:29 PM
Driving in stealth mode

I got mine from the dealer already installed. It is sitting on the rear deck on the passenger side. I have had no reception issues at all. It was originally the owner of the dealerships demo so I'm sure they did a good job.

Quick Reply: Did you install your own satellite radio?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands