Difficult to clean inside of windshield and rear window?

Old 08-18-2007, 11:26 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Difficult to clean inside of windshield and rear window?

I can't for the life of me get the inside of my windshield clean. I have tried two different bottles of windex with both paper towel and microfiber cloth. I always get streaky smudges. Having the sun low in the sky and shining through the windshield makes it tough to see through...

I see another thread about getting water spots off the outside, but are the products mentioned there good for cleaning the inside of the windshield and other windows?

Thanks

Old 08-18-2007, 04:04 PM
Default Re: Difficult to clean inside of windshield and rear window?

I bought some kind of invisible window cleaner at the walmart automotive section. Its a chemical cleaner in a spray can with a bright yellow cap. I find using those type cleaners works best to not use them in direct sunlight. I think the manual says use a soft lint free cloth.

I read in other forms over the years that ammonia based window cleaners will help get that film off. Be sure to open all doors for ventilation when using these chemicals. The one with the yellow cap should do the trick.

Old 08-18-2007, 07:59 PM
Enthusiast

Don't use anything with ammonia on the inside of the car, especially if you have tinted windows. It will dry out any rubber, vinyl, leather or plastic that it comes in contact with. Stoners Invisible Glass, Meguiar's NXT, or EagleOne plus a good microfiber cloth works great for cleaning vinyl haze and smudges.

Old 08-19-2007, 02:11 AM
TCH 2007 newbie May 07

Bump on Stoners, I've had good results with it.

I accidently spilled a couple drops of ammonia window cleaner on my 02Tundra's dash, and it discolored that area.

Old 08-19-2007, 03:48 AM
Beyond AM. Beyond FM.

Stoners and a sheet of newspaper = no streaks. My problem is that the angle of them makes it tough to reach the very bottom, even with my long arms, without some serious contortions.

Last edited by jay_man2; 08-19-2007 at 04:13 AM.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:29 AM
Roy
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spiff72
I can't for the life of me get the inside of my windshield clean. I have tried two different bottles of windex with both paper towel and microfiber cloth. I always get streaky smudges. Having the sun low in the sky and shining through the windshield makes it tough to see through...

I see another thread about getting water spots off the outside, but are the products mentioned there good for cleaning the inside of the windshield and other windows?

Thanks
Try Sprayway with a cotton towel that has not been dried with fabric softener.

Old 08-19-2007, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by rburt07
I bought some kind of invisible window cleaner at the walmart automotive section. Its a chemical cleaner in a spray can with a bright yellow cap. I find using those type cleaners works best to not use them in direct sunlight. I think the manual says use a soft lint free cloth.
Yes, it was Stoners Invisible window cleaner I used with the yellow top. It works really well.

Old 08-19-2007, 11:38 AM

Cool - thanks for the suggestions, everyone...

Old 08-20-2007, 01:44 PM
tjq
Active Enthusiast

Been having good results with Walmart microfiber wipes. Comes in a pack of 10 for less then 5 bucks. Only been using "plain" warm water. Apply once, wipe with a micro.. If windows really fogged up. Will use the warm water a second time. Key is not to wash windows in the sun. Easiest under a tree or on cloudy days.

Works for me. Good luck.

Tom Q.

Old 08-24-2007, 12:32 PM

I use Stoner's Invisible Glass and some microfiber clothes from BJs (bought a few 25 packs to use for interior cleaning and exterior drying).

Also, I find it easiest to reach the window with the back seats folded down. This also lets you keep the seats clean allows for easier back deck cleaning.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Difficult to clean inside of windshield and rear window?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands