Disable TRAC....quick winter time tip

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 03:11 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Disable TRAC....quick winter time tip

Disable TRAC (Traction Control) and VSC (Vehicle Stability Control)

Perform procedures within 60 seconds.

(1) Turn the power switch on IG. (This means press the start switch twice to get the dash to light up while NOT pushing the brake pedal).
(2) Now push the brake pedal with your left foot, and fully depress the accelerator pedal with your right foot, twice with the shift P position.
Note: Pushing the brake pedal in these procedure is just to allow the ability to move the shift lever from P to N and back to P
(3) Fully depress the accelerator pedal twice with the shift N position.
(4) Fully depress the accelerator pedal twice with the shift P position.
The message "FWD Maintenance Mode" should be displayed on the multi-information display.
(5) Start the engine by pressing the power switch while depressing the brake pedal.
The multi-information display should alternate between "FWD Maintenance Mode" and "Check VSC" and a couple of other lights will be on.
Next time you shutdown, the system will be back to normal.
This does not shut the ABS system for braking.

This can be useful when you want to go up a hill and TRAC will prevent the car from moving. It addresses the problem where you are stuck in the snow or ice, and the wheels refuse to turn at all because the system decides that they have too little traction to bother. Following this process will enable the wheels to spin.

Old 12-26-2010, 08:47 PM
Default Re: Disable TRAC....quick winter time tip

This can be useful when you want to go up a hill and TRAC will prevent the car from moving.

is this explaining why THC will not start moving up steep hills, if stopped on red light?we have several quite steep hills here in Seattle. if caught uphill by red light, when gas pedal is pressed on green, nothing happens, unless it's depressed and pressed hard once again. had this happen quite few times. someone told me that same happens to Prius, when it's stopped downhill.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:26 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
This can be useful when you want to go up a hill and TRAC will prevent the car from moving.

This explains why the TCH will not move when trying to start moving up any kind of incline when it is icy or snowy and traction is at a minimum.

If there is good traction and your TCH wont move then there is another problem somewhere.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:41 AM

well, maybe it's cuz those 2 hills are so steep that i have to have left foot on the brake pedal, when applying pressure to the gas pedal with the right one, to prevent rollback. on conventional cars, i have no problem doing this; TCH won't move; I have to let go off the brake pedal and stab her for engine to kick in and start moving.
buddy's daughter has Prius; he visited me few weeks ago, saw TCH, first question was - hey, does yours does not want to go up the hill too? not sure if he said uphill or downhill.
so, it sounds like some sort of design particularity.
oh, and i have to sit uphill for a bit, for engine to turn off and drop into e-mode for this to happen. if engine still runs, she'll move just fine.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by ukrkoz

is this explaining why THC will not start moving up steep hills, if stopped on red light?we have several quite steep hills here in Seattle. if caught uphill by red light, when gas pedal is pressed on green, nothing happens, unless it's depressed and pressed hard once again. had this happen quite few times. someone told me that same happens to Prius, when it's stopped downhill.
It sounds more like you're describing the "hill-start" feature being incorporated into many new vehicles. If the vehicle tends to roll forward or backward with the gas pedal at "neutral" and "in gear" the brakes will be automatically applied. The brakes are automatically released when/as you depress the gas pedal but DBW is used to delay reaction to the gas pedal until the brakes have had time to release.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:19 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Ukrkoz mentioned this happens in Seattle. Truly some of those hills make San Francisco look tame by comparison. I go there frequently for work. My favorite restaurant is at 2901 E. Madison, in the Capitol Hill district. Last time there I took an approach from the southeast and I got stopped on a couple of very steep hills, in the rain. 2-foot driving was required, but it took a very soft touch to get traction without sliding backward into another car. Very scary indeed.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:20 AM

"...too little traction to bother..."

No, the reality of the matter is that there is TOO LITTLE traction to SAFELY support DRIVE TORQUE and LATERAL TRACTION (directional control) when BOTH are on the front wheels.

If drive torque were to be on an entirely separate set of tires, the rear say, and the front traction coefficient totally dedicated to the fronts, then TC activation would NOT be so URGENTLY required.

That's why so many newer FWD and F/awd vehicles have the TC disable switch. The switch allows the driver to use wheelspin/slip when needed, as needed, plus it alleviates the manufacturer of liability should an accident result due to the driver over-riding a safety feature.

Last edited by wwest; 12-27-2010 at 09:26 AM.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:29 AM

The procedure I use on my F/awd 2001 RX300 is to disconnect the MAF/IAT temporarily with the engine idling. The engine will stop, plug the connector back end, restart the engine and for quite some distance you will have a CE, which by default disables TC and VSC but not ABS. Lexus of Bellevue service manager told me the procedure years ago.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:53 AM

might be the case. it's quite erie feeling though.
so, basically, i should be able to take my RIGHT foot off the brake pedal, and whatever DBW is, should hold her still for the time enough for me to switch pedals and press on gas?

Old 12-27-2010, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by McGyver
Ukrkoz mentioned this happens in Seattle. Truly some of those hills make San Francisco look tame by comparison. I go there frequently for work. My favorite restaurant is at 2901 E. Madison, in the Capitol Hill district. Last time there I took an approach from the southeast and I got stopped on a couple of very steep hills, in the rain. 2-foot driving was required, but it took a very soft touch to get traction without sliding backward into another car. Very scary indeed.

yes sir! exactly same spot - james/madison exit. you have to take R into james, and it's 2 1/2 consecutive very steep inclines, and red light normally catches you on the 1st light. madison is not that bad. it's james and cherry that do this. and i go there routinely for work.

sort of fun to take them in my silverado. left on brakes, right on gas, step on gas and slowly release brakes - whoo-hoo!

Quick Reply: Disable TRAC....quick winter time tip

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands