View Poll Results: Did you purchase an extended warranty?
Yes, I always buy extended warrantees
10.28%
Yes, I usually don't buy extended warrantees but did because the hybrid is 'different'
41.12%
I am still undecided what to do
9.35%
No, I never buy warrantees
32.71%
No, I usually buy warrantees, but I didn't this time
3.74%
No, I lease the car and wont keep it long enough to worry about it
0%
I haven't yet, but I definitely will
2.80%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Do you have an extended warranty?

Old 01-21-2008, 03:20 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Do you have an extended warranty?

Just wondering...

Old 01-21-2008, 07:39 AM
Default Re: Do you have an extended warranty?

I have never bought an extended warranty, and only once was I disappointed. That was with a (don't hit me) 1989 Dodge Grand Caravan bought new. The A/C went out just after the manufacturer's warranty ended. Dodge refused to cover it under the new car warranty, and it cost me more to fix it than the warranty would have cost. I sold the car soon after that...didn't want to pay for a transmission! I still believe that I am many dollars ahead, without having bought any extended warranties over the years. WOW! Just remembered I bought a used 1981 VW Rabbit in 1982, and got the dealer to include an extended warranty in the sale... we were down to their real final offer price, and I agreed to take it if they included an extended warranty...so perhaps that one was free to me? Yeah right! haha. I never used the warranty.

However, I tend to keep my cars a relatively short time.....by the time they get 50-60,000 miles, I am ready for a new car. Increased safety, better fuel economy, lower emmissions, new technology, more reliability....all factors in my decision. I pay for my cars in cash, but my belief is to pay for a new car, and enjoy the above stated benefits, rather than pay for repairs, and have the inconvience of unplanned down time, and shop visits.

Just my mode of operation.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:11 AM

I agree with your (jbollt) warranty comments.

I decided to get one because the price was lowish (no that is not a word) and I figured with the hybrid technology and a new model year, might as well.

Normally I would not.

Originally Posted by jbollt
I pay for my cars in cash....
Phew....wish I could! I have about 9,500 left to pay off.

Last edited by mikieboyblue; 01-21-2008 at 08:28 AM.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:24 AM
Active Enthusiast

We only bought an extended warranty once, for an 86 Ford Taurus, first model year and a radical (for its time) design. Never used the warranty. Never had any other car for which it would have paid to have it.

If they weren't a profit center for the dealers, they wouldn't offer them.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:30 AM

First of all, there's nothing wrong with the dealer, or anyone else trying to make a profit.
The warranty is really an insurance policy. Some like the peace of mind knowing that expensive repairs are not going to cost them, others prefer to pay as they go.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:39 PM
Enthusiast

It is interesting that this topic has come up as I am wrestling with the decision regarding whether or not to purchase an extended warranty. The "on-line" warranty for "bumper to bumper" coverage for 72/72,000 is $1500. The Official Toyota Platinum plan for the same term is $900 as offered by the sales manager where I bought the car. The "on-line" guy assures me that there are many things in the Toyota plan that I will find are not covered but will be in his. He also mentioned having to have any work done by Authorized Toyota service people, something that is not required with his. I do see in the Toyota brochure that there is an extensive list of non-covered items. Can anyone give me council on this?

Old 01-22-2008, 10:15 AM
Active Enthusiast

I bought the official Toyota platinum, 7 year, 100,000 mile, 0 deductable extended waranty from my dealer. He met the internet price which was $990.00 at that time. I would not consider anything other than the Toyota policy. The coverage on the Platinum plan, whch does cover additional items, is as good as you will find anywhere. IMHO. By the way, I do not usually buy extended waranties, but I am putting a lot of mileage on these days and my new car waranty would have expired in about the 16th month. Now I am covered for at least 4 years and at least 100,000 miles. A very good feeling. I hope this is helpfull.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:30 PM
Enthusiast

FYI-I decided to go with the 7 year-70,000 mile Platinum warranty from Toyota. I got it for $850 which I think is a pretty good deal.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:33 AM
Enthusiast
Question Re: Do you have an extended warranty?

Where did you find the Toyota 7 year 0 deductable for $850.? My TCH is at 15k and I'm looking to buy when I can get a better price then the current leader @ 990.

Thanks

Old 01-25-2008, 10:32 AM
Enthusiast

My dealer is Northside Toyota in Chicago. Tom Nicolson is the Finance Manager I dealt with. I don't have contact information with me right now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do you have an extended warranty?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands