Doors locking when leaving the car

Old 05-12-2008, 07:15 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Doors locking when leaving the car

I'd say don't use autolock, it's very easy to get in the habit of locking it either from the interior handle or the exterior one. I'd hate to have the car autolock.
Autolocking when you are in the car is a nice thing.
Autolocking when you aren't can only lead to unpleasant suprises (IMHO).
It's no effort to press the lock and imagine if you get trained to not lock the door and then use another car?

Old 05-13-2008, 07:37 AM
HSD Organic Interface

Originally Posted by jbollt
Well...actually, not exactly... I just went to my garage, opened the driver's door, DID NOT GET IN THE CAR, closed the door, then hit the unlock button on my remote. About 50 seconds later the car locked. The doors will re-lock if no door is opened after the unlock button is touched.
The TCH computer does not care about the state of the door locks when the unlock button is pressed. It simply starts a lock timer that will be interrupted by a door opening.

I think the auto lock after leaving vehicle feature some people are referring to may be a function of the optional alarm system, and not standard functionality.

Last edited by Droid13; 05-13-2008 at 07:39 AM.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Droid13
The TCH computer does not care about the state of the door locks when the unlock button is pressed. It simply starts a lock timer that will be interrupted by a door opening.

I think the auto lock after leaving vehicle feature some people are referring to may be a function of the optional alarm system, and not standard functionality.
Both of these commens make alot of sense! Thanks for stating them so clearly!

Old 05-13-2008, 09:59 AM

I have a 2007 TCH with the upgraded optional alarm system, and my doors definitely do not auto-lock. If I leave the car and do not lock the doors, I will come back always to find them still unlocked.

Old 05-13-2008, 01:03 PM
Enthusiast

I bought an 08 THC and I do not have the optional alarm system and my doors do auto lock after about 30 seconds.

Old 05-13-2008, 01:10 PM
700 Mi Camry Club Member

I don't have the optional alarm system and my doors autolock as well. I like my car though, so I think I'll keep it.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:59 AM

I have the optional alarm system and my doors do not lock (unless they were previously locked, I press the FOB unlock button, and I do not open a door).

So, this sounds like the alarm system actually gives us less security. (Depending on how you view this "feature.")

Old 05-14-2008, 09:07 AM
HSD Organic Interface

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
I have the optional alarm system and my doors do not lock (unless they were previously locked, I press the FOB unlock button, and I do not open a door).

So, this sounds like the alarm system actually gives us less security. (Depending on how you view this "feature.")
My mistake. I was thinking about the "passive arming" feature of the alarm system (which is normally off). While the system can be programmed to arm automatically, it does not lock the doors. In fact, the passive arming is primarily useful when you don't want to lock the doors, as locking the doors causes the system to arm anyway.

This automatic exit locking (as opposed to the automatic relock function) seems to be something different, perhaps a later revision to the firmware. Mine being an early 2007 has no such feature, just the normal auto relock.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Droid13
My mistake. I was thinking about the "passive arming" feature of the alarm system (which is normally off). While the system can be programmed to arm automatically, it does not lock the doors. In fact, the passive arming is primarily useful when you don't want to lock the doors, as locking the doors causes the system to arm anyway.

This automatic exit locking (as opposed to the automatic relock function) seems to be something different, perhaps a later revision to the firmware. Mine being an early 2007 has no such feature, just the normal auto relock.
... makes more sense now...

If the passive arming is used, (doors not locked) does the alarm go off if you have the FOB and open a door?

Old 05-14-2008, 09:24 AM
HSD Organic Interface

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
... makes more sense now...

If the passive arming is used, (doors not locked) does the alarm go off if you have the FOB and open a door?
Not supposed to. After the door is opened the alarm will wait 30 seconds (default) for the key to be recognized. I never had this feature turned on, doesn't seem useful. If you don't want people routing around in your car, I'd think locking the doors would be the first thing to do...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Doors locking when leaving the car

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands