DRL switch defeated on imported TCH!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 12:36 PM
Enthusiast
Default DRL switch defeated on imported TCH!!

Imported a TCH from San Francisco into Canada. The dealer could not figure out how to defeat the OFF switch for the DRL, so that the vehicle can pass the federal inspection (my Canadian friends will know what I mean). Flashing the TCH’s computer did not help, neither did installing a new HL switch. After the panic mode set in , I took the switch apart (nothing to it), inserted a small 5 mm piece of plastic into it and problem fixed. Free! No need to flash the computer, no need to spend $220.00 for headlight switch. Passed the federal, the provincial with flying colors, am enjoying he car right now!

Last edited by steinbock; 09-09-2007 at 12:44 PM.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:42 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: DRL switch defeated on imported TCH!!

How did the other ppl who imported TCHs do it?

Old 09-09-2007, 02:38 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tideland Prius
How did the other ppl who imported TCHs do it?
I took mine to the Toyota Dealer (for God's sake don't let Canadian Tire touch it)and for the sum of $200 plus they inserted some relay switch. However I then noticed that my AUTO feature did not work and the wrong set of DRL 's here on. The inners are suppose to be on but they had the small round bulbs on, on low power.
Passed the Prov. Safety and the RIV inspection OK but was not happy with it. Went back to Toyota and they removed the relay switch so it is now back to the way it was imported. Wish I had seen Steinbock's post last month and saved $ and a lot of worry.

Old 09-09-2007, 04:47 PM
Active Enthusiast

I just bought fog lights from ebay, and had them permanentaly wired on.

Last edited by crasher; 09-09-2007 at 06:54 PM.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:02 PM

ehh.. ok I'll be asking you guys again when the time comes lol. Obviously I don't have the car so I don't know what switch you're talking about.

Hmm and here I was thinking it was an easy mod since it had DRLs...

Old 09-09-2007, 08:26 PM
Enthusiast

OK Tideland, Will spell it out for you. In Canada it is illegal and NOT permitted to be able to defeat the DRL (turn them OFF) Your imported TCH will have DRL's but by turning the light stock column you can actually turn them off. Gov't doesn't like this. OK, here is what I would do (wish I had done it in the first place) Arrive at Canadian Tire for your RIV inspection, just leave the switch in the auto position and the DRL will be on. My CT didn't check the light stock or anything. Should pass the inspection. You will then no doubt have to get a provincial inspection, go to a local garage to have it done and if they say anything just tell them that RIV inspection approved it already. Do not have Toyota do the provincial inspection as they will demand that it be modified as they don't want to risk any problem with the gov't. IF you have any problem with the inspection do as Steinbock did, take the switch apart (easy he said ) , then place a 5 mm piece of plastic such that you are unable to turn to switch to "DRL OFF" Good luck and let me know how you made out.

Old 09-09-2007, 08:27 PM
Enthusiast

Crasher,How much from Eday and how hard was the installation? Thanks

Old 09-09-2007, 08:29 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by voodoo
OK Tideland, Will spell it out for you. In Canada it is illegal and NOT permitted to be able to defeat the DRL (turn them OFF) Your imported TCH will have DRL's but by turning the light stock column you can actually turn them off. Gov't doesn't like this. OK, here is what I would do (wish I had done it in the first place) Arrive at Canadian Tire for your RIV inspection, just leave the switch in the auto position and the DRL will be on. My CT didn't check the light stock or anything. Should pass the inspection. You will then no doubt have to get a provincial inspection, go to a local garage to have it done and if they say anything just tell them that RIV inspection approved it already. Do not have Toyota do the provincial inspection as they will demand that it be modified as they don't want to risk any problem with the gov't. IF you have any problem with the inspection do as Steinbock did, take the switch apart (easy he said ) , then place a 5 mm piece of plastic such that you are unable to turn to switch to "DRL OFF" Good luck and let me know how you made out.

NOBODY could have said it better!!!!
good job.

Old 09-09-2007, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by voodoo
Question on the prov. inspection.. a local garage? really...? I know none of such (since all our cars go to the dealer) so... what.. jiffylube? that sorta place? You figured there's a specific place (like CT) for prov. inspections to be done.

Where does the 5mm plastic go? On the switch itself or somewhere behind the dashboard.

I'll let you know but it'll be a while. Probably won't order one til closer to December or even next year >.<.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:29 AM
Enthusiast

Many local garages are gov't APPROVED to conduct the provincial safety check in this Province as well as all auto dealers and CT.
AS Steinbock says "I took the switch apart (nothing to it), inserted a small 5 mm piece of plastic into it and problem fixed. Free! No need to flash the computer, no need to spend $220.00 for headlight switch. Passed the federal, the provincial with flying colors, am enjoying he car right now!" So it sure sounds like the 5 mm piece is placed inside the switch to prevent the rotary switch from being able to be turn to "DRL OFF"

Quick Reply: DRL switch defeated on imported TCH!!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands