DRL switch defeated on imported TCH!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 10:55 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: DRL switch defeated on imported TCH!!

ohh I see. Is there a list? How much does it cost to get a safety check?

hmm, yeah we'll wait for steinbock to confirm that 5mm piece.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:39 AM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

If steinbock's mod prevents the headlight switch from being turned to the OFF (DRL OFF) position, then the headlamp circuitry will continue to draw a small, continuing current from the 12-V battery when parked. That's not a problem until you leave the car parked for an extended period of time (I can't tell you what "extended" means in this context, since I don't know the current draw of the circuitry). However, the Owner's Manual warns you to turn the switch OFF when leaving the car for an extended period.

Stan

Old 09-10-2007, 11:56 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by voodoo
Crasher,How much from Eday and how hard was the installation? Thanks
It was around $62US +$20 shipping. It included everything, like wire harness, relays, and even in dash switch, which obviously I didnt use.
Here is the listing for similar item. And It was fairly easy to install. For my other Camry the inspector did not even looked at the switch. I just went in with switch at Auto position, and inspector started the car to see if DRL was there and thats it. I went to same inspector , but did install the fog lights this time.

Old 09-10-2007, 12:04 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tideland Prius
ohh I see. Is there a list? How much does it cost to get a safety check?

hmm, yeah we'll wait for steinbock to confirm that 5mm piece.
Federal safety inspection is included in RIV fee of $206.70. For new car you dont need provincial inspection.

Old 09-10-2007, 12:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SPL
If steinbock's mod prevents the headlight switch from being turned to the OFF (DRL OFF) position, then the headlamp circuitry will continue to draw a small, continuing current from the 12-V battery when parked. That's not a problem until you leave the car parked for an extended period of time (I can't tell you what "extended" means in this context, since I don't know the current draw of the circuitry). However, the Owner's Manual warns you to turn the switch OFF when leaving the car for an extended period.

Stan
THe mod will only prevent to turn DRL off while ignition is on and car is running. Once you switch off the car, DRL turns off.

Old 09-10-2007, 12:45 PM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

crasher — Yes, the DRLs will turn off when you switch the car off, but if the headlight switch is still in the AUTO position, the auto-on/off electronic circuitry will still draw standby power all the time, and will eventually run the 12-V battery down.

Stan

Old 09-10-2007, 01:59 PM

So just take it to CT, leave it in AUTO, get the certification, and go to ICBC and show them the form and get it insured?

That was my understanding from reading the literature on the RIV site.

Old 09-10-2007, 02:24 PM
Enthusiast

Couple of different posts going on here. First , Crasher thanks for the info on fog lights, if you HAD used the switch, where would you of placed it? Tideland.... Manitoba requires a provincial safety on cars sold privately or imported to the province (even if vehicle is brand new) Cost set by gov't $45 plus PST GST= about $50.
And for SPL , can't find the warning in owner's manual reference leaving the switch in AUTO. Only thing I see is NOTICE: To prevent the 12 volt battery from being discharged, do not leave the lights on for a long period when the hybrid system is turned off, which is a totally different issue. Not sure you are correct when you say it will still draw standby power all the time, and will eventually run the 12-V battery down. Over.

Old 09-10-2007, 04:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

SPL- Auto circuitry shuts down with the car, so dont have any parasitical load, so wont drain your battery. Only load is when auto mode activates the timer, which can easily be turned off by your dealer.

Voodoo- I never thought of putting the switch, I bought the lights purily for DRL regulations, but they look good too, and improve visibility at night.
I personally wont put the supplied switch, as then I have to cut dash near eco switch. I would put the XLE stalk there, which have the switch for the fog lights.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by voodoo
Couple of different posts going on here. First , Crasher thanks for the info on fog lights, if you HAD used the switch, where would you of placed it? Tideland.... Manitoba requires a provincial safety on cars sold privately or imported to the province (even if vehicle is brand new) Cost set by gov't $45 plus PST GST= about $50.
And for SPL , can't find the warning in owner's manual reference leaving the switch in AUTO. Only thing I see is NOTICE: To prevent the 12 volt battery from being discharged, do not leave the lights on for a long period when the hybrid system is turned off, which is a totally different issue. Not sure you are correct when you say it will still draw standby power all the time, and will eventually run the 12-V battery down. Over.
ahh ok. No I'm in BC.

I don't know but I thought AUTO would still have a drain. I know on the Prius, there's an OFF switch for everything! Cargo light, vanity mirror light, dome light (duh), Smart Key, headlights. All of these have an OFF setting.

Quick Reply: DRL switch defeated on imported TCH!!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands