DRL switch defeated on imported TCH!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 08:06 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: DRL switch defeated on imported TCH!!

I am in North Surrey, if you can come to my place, I will give you a hand with it.
(inexpensive bottle of white wine will be accepted as payment - hey, ten bucks sounds a lot better than six hundred... ).
I am a very busy person, so there might be time constrains.
Let me know by email to steinbock at shaw dot ca.

Old 05-14-2008, 04:14 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by steinbock
Imported a TCH from San Francisco into Canada. The dealer could not figure out how to defeat the OFF switch for the DRL, so that the vehicle can pass the federal inspection (my Canadian friends will know what I mean). Flashing the TCH’s computer did not help, neither did installing a new HL switch. After the panic mode set in , I took the switch apart (nothing to it), inserted a small 5 mm piece of plastic into it and problem fixed. Free! No need to flash the computer, no need to spend $220.00 for headlight switch. Passed the federal, the provincial with flying colors, am enjoying he car right now!
Any description or photos of how to take the switch apart?

Old 05-25-2008, 09:33 PM
cam
Enthusiast

i am in red deer alta. just imported tch.i also would like more info on takeing the switch apart.any info would be appreciated.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:54 AM
Active Enthusiast

Has anyone figured out how to get the switch open on the stalk?

Old 07-02-2008, 10:38 AM
Active Enthusiast

Got the **** off. Just pull it hard and look into the gap, you should see a small indentation appear that I put my screwdriver into and twisted a little and the **** came off. I then put a piece of rubber in the stalk to stop the switch from rotating to drl off. Easy. Took 2 minutes. Of course the Canadian Tire 17 year old stood out front and told me to start the car. That's it. pass.

Old 07-03-2008, 02:48 PM
cam
Enthusiast

Good job.I am positive this blurb will help other canadians save some money in the future.I find this GREENHYBRID site very informative. I am on this site a lot.

Old 07-03-2008, 04:02 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yeah, next is camera installation, maybe by bestbuy, and then the block heater, by me? I like the led's in the steering wheel and stereo from toyota nation, check the camry 5/6 forum for that.

Old 09-05-2015, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by bkushner
Got the **** off. Just pull it hard and look into the gap, you should see a small indentation appear that I put my screwdriver into and twisted a little and the **** came off. I then put a piece of rubber in the stalk to stop the switch from rotating to drl off. Easy. Took 2 minutes. Of course the Canadian Tire 17 year old stood out front and told me to start the car. That's it. pass.
Anyone still active on this thread? I found this and was attempting to do it for my regular Camry but it seems like I would break the kno b.

Nevermind, but for anyone else in the future that comes across this thread - I opted for a different solution. I opened up the backplate and screwed on a small screw along the inside edge of the kno b to block it from being able to twist all the way.

Last edited by neighborfromthesouth; 09-05-2015 at 10:40 PM.
Old 07-27-2022, 01:02 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by neighborfromthesouth
Anyone still active on this thread? I found this and was attempting to do it for my regular Camry but it seems like I would break the kno b.

Nevermind, but for anyone else in the future that comes across this thread - I opted for a different solution. I opened up the backplate and screwed on a small screw along the inside edge of the kno b to block it from being able to twist all the way.
I'm scared to yank on the **** in case I break it. Could you explain more? What's the backplate?