DRLs OFF Software Option Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 05:03 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default DRLs OFF Software Option Question

I am considering having my dealer set my DRLs to the normally “Off” position offered in the customization options. Having read numerous posts here about the DRLs operation it sounds as if this is truly only a “logical” change in programming.

My question is if I have my “logical” option setting changed to “Off” does this software action also logically “reverse” the light stalks DRL OFF switch setting in to becoming a DRL “On” switch? If so that would allow me to turn on my DRLs when desired… If the options design team thought this through it might work this way… Has anyone who has had their DRLs turned "Off" in programming tried it?

Old 04-25-2008, 06:19 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: DRLs OFF Software Option Question

For me, DRL is a safety feature. It adds visibility to others.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:09 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

If I might ask, what benefit is there in turning the DRLs off?

Old 04-25-2008, 12:33 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by haroldo
I second this last question, mostly because the relevance of the possible answers I can think of depends upon exactly why the need for the original question might not be satisfied by the "DRL OFF" position of the light switch.

One reason to want the DRl's off would be to save energy, CO2 emissions, etc. (while driving in daylight). I have not done the calculation, but I suspect that keeping the DRL's off could save more energy than replacing a household incandescent bulb with a low energy flourescent, which seems to be a popular thing to do. For my money the safety benefit of the DRL's in daylight driving probably outweighs the energy savings benefit, but others may differ.

Another reason might be to avoid waste while not driving but with the electrical power on, e.g. while parked and warming the car up or while doing some kind of electrical diagnosis, etc.

But that brings me to another question. Does anyone know for sure whether (in the U.S. car):

A, any other lights are on in any circumstances when the switch is in the "DRL off" position

or

B, all lights are always off in the "DRL off" position.

The manual is no help on this question, and experimentation leads me to answer "B," but I'm not sure about the "always" part. In any event, i would appreciate knowing the answer for sure, and I note that in either case the design and/or switch position labeling is remarkable.

If the answer is "A," then there is no reliable switch position to turn all of the lights off.

And if the answer is "B," then the U.S. car has a switch position which turns all of the lights off but is not labeled "off" while the Canadian car has a switch position so labeled but which does not do so.

So, if anyone knows for sure, I would appreciate the answer.

My ignorance on this had consequences for me recently, but i'll tell that story in a separate thread, "The light switch and the dead battery", perhaps this weekend.

Jack

Old 04-25-2008, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by RedLdr1
My question is if I have my “logical” option setting changed to “Off” does this software action also logically “reverse” the light stalks DRL OFF switch setting in to becoming a DRL “On” switch? If so that would allow me to turn on my DRLs when desired… If the options design team thought this through it might work this way… Has anyone who has had their DRLs turned "Off" in programming tried it?
I really doubt it works that way. If you have the dealer program them to off, then that just means, when using AUTO, the DRLs will be off. If you switch to any of the other settings, DRLs are controlled in accordance to the setting. It appears to be strictly a programming change to the AUTO function. (As far as I know.)

This means the following:

Setting: DRL Off
Result: DRLs off, must manually turn on headlights/running lights.

Setting: AUTO
Result: DRLs on, headlights/running lights on automatically (when needed).

Setting: Running lights
Result: DRLs off (I think), running lights on, must manually turn on headlights.

Setting: Headlights
Result: DRLs off, headlights/running lights on, must manually turn them off.

The DRLs are the high beams at about half power. For some reason 22w sticks in my head but that is probably too little.

Mike

Last edited by mikieboyblue; 04-25-2008 at 02:06 PM.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Smilin' Jack
But that brings me to another question. Does anyone know for sure whether (in the U.S. car):

A, any other lights are on in any circumstances when the switch is in the "DRL off" position

or

B, all lights are always off in the "DRL off" position.

The manual is no help on this question, and experimentation leads me to answer "B," but I'm not sure about the "always" part. In any event, i would appreciate knowing the answer for sure, and I note that in either case the design and/or switch position labeling is remarkable.

If the answer is "A," then there is no reliable switch position to turn all of the lights off.

And if the answer is "B," then the U.S. car has a switch position which turns all of the lights off but is not labeled "off" while the Canadian car has a switch position so labeled but which does not do so.

So, if anyone knows for sure, I would appreciate the answer.

My ignorance on this had consequences for me recently, but i'll tell that story in a separate thread, "The light switch and the dead battery", perhaps this weekend.

Jack
I believe when in "DRL off", it acts the same as in older cars when you place the manual headlight switch in the off position -- no lights are on (aside from your break lights when you tap the pedal).

The Canadian models do not allow you to turn the DRLs off because it is Canadian law that all cars must have some form of lights on while driving. (A Canadian resident can correct me if I am wrong.)

This is why Canadian's who purchased a US model have to have full-time fog lights or some other intervention to keep some form of "headlight" on at all times. (Again, a Canadian resident can correct me if I am wrong.)

CO/2 or energy savings from having the DRLs off all the time. I honestly don't think it is all that much, given the fact that when the vehicle is moving, it can probably generate enough surplus energy to make up the difference. I would be interested in a study on the subject though.

Mike

Last edited by mikieboyblue; 05-02-2008 at 10:37 AM.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:58 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
I believe when in "DRL off", it acts the same as in older cars when you place the manual headlight switch in the off position -- no lights are on (aside from your break lights when you tap the pedal).

The Canadian models do not allow you to turn the DRLs off because it is Canadian law that all cars must have some for of lights running while driving. (A Canadian resident can correct me if I am wrong.)

This is why Canadian's who purchased a US model have to have full-time fog lights or some other intervention to keep some form of "headlight" on at all times. (Again, a Canadian resident can correct me if I am wrong.)

CO/2 or energy savings from having the DRLs off all the time. I honestly don't think it is all that much, given the fact that when the vehicle is moving, it can probably generate enough surplus energy to make up the difference. I would be interested in a study on the subject though.

Mike
Mike,

Thanks for the reply and for your may useful posts on this forum, all of which I read prior to my TCH purchase last month.

Re. "I believe..........." : Yeah, that's pretty much what I have now come to believe, also, but it would be nice to know with certainty, for if it's so then we have a reliable way to turn all of the lights off for sure that does not depend upon auto functions working or upon other actions such as the way the doors are locked or the order in which the the doors are opened or closed, etc. Here's hoping we hear from someone who knows for sure.

Re. The savings from DRL's off............. Oh, I agree it's not much. I was only speculating as to why someone might want them off. I know lots of folks these days who are absolutely fanatical about making inconsequential energy savings. They do it out of idealistic fervor rather than from any practical consideration.

Jack

Old 04-25-2008, 05:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by haroldo
Well it isn't about any additional fuel economy...I'm not trying out for the Hyper Miler Club.

I am going to upgrade the headlights on my TCH to SilverStar Ultras. It has been my experience that SilverStars when used as DRLs burn out a lot faster....Like most bulbs they do not like being run at low wattage.

Mike,

I suspect you are correct in your analysis but you never know...stranger things have happened...

All,

As for the added safety DRLs might provide I personally do not buy in to that argument for a couple reasons.

On my daily commute at 0545 in the morning I see vehicles almost every week driving around on just DRLs in the dark around sunrise. The owner is lulled in to believing their lights are on and off they go... No running lights, no tail lights, and reduced wattage head lights.

The "Lights On When Raining" rule is also consistently ignored by drivers with DRLs. They blissfully drive along with no lights and can't understand when someone comes roaring up on their tail since the have no rear lighting on....

Lastly the government required motorcycles to run with "lights on" in the 80s. And I mean "lights on" at full wattage not some wimpy 20-30W light. Even so the majority of motorcycle accidents still occur when some stupid driver fails to yeild or turns left in front of the motorcycle.... What makes you think DRLs will be seen when 65W high beams aren't?

If it is dark enough to warrant lights or safety concerns require it or it is raining just turn on your lights and get 360 degree coverage instead of dim headlights...

Old 04-25-2008, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Smilin' Jack
Mike,

Thanks for the reply and for your may useful posts on this forum, all of which I read prior to my TCH purchase last month.

Re. "I believe..........." : Yeah, that's pretty much what I have now come to believe, also, but it would be nice to know with certainty, for if it's so then we have a reliable way to turn all of the lights off for sure that does not depend upon auto functions working or upon other actions such as the way the doors are locked or the order in which the the doors are opened or closed, etc. Here's hoping we hear from someone who knows for sure.

Re. The savings from DRL's off............. Oh, I agree it's not much. I was only speculating as to why someone might want them off. I know lots of folks these days who are absolutely fanatical about making inconsequential energy savings. They do it out of idealistic fervor rather than from any practical consideration.

Jack
Hi Jack,

Glad you find the posts I write useful! Thanks :-)

Just to make sure I did not understand you, were you asking strictly about the head/running/daytime lights or ALL of the lighting in the car (includes the aforementioned and adds all interior lights)?

If it was ALL lights, no, there is no way to prevent them from turning on or turning them all off that I know of. The interior lights are suppose to be on a 20 minute delay. I have not tested.

There were some posts about the interior lights and people wondered if they really did shut off. I think one person came to the conclusion that if you manually turn on the map lights, they will stay on. That one I don't want to test .

If you speak about the head/running/daytime lights then if you place it in DRL OFF all will be off as far as all of my tests.

But, much agreed that some hard evidence to answer this question would be good.

Mike

Old 04-25-2008, 06:22 PM

Mike,

I suspect you are correct in your analysis but you never know...stranger things have happened...
Are you going to take your car to the dealer and have them turn the DRLs off? You would then be able to test right there by switching to DRL off then back to AUTO.

All,

As for the added safety DRLs might provide I personally do not buy in to that argument for a couple reasons.

On my daily commute at 0545 in the morning I see vehicles almost every week driving around on just DRLs in the dark around sunrise. The owner is lulled in to believing their lights are on and off they go... No running lights, no tail lights, and reduced wattage head lights.

The "Lights On When Raining" rule is also consistently ignored by drivers with DRLs. They blissfully drive along with no lights and can't understand when someone comes roaring up on their tail since the have no rear lighting on....

Lastly the government required motorcycles to run with "lights on" in the 80s. And I mean "lights on" at full wattage not some wimpy 20-30W light. Even so the majority of motorcycle accidents still occur when some stupid driver fails to yeild or turns left in front of the motorcycle.... What makes you think DRLs will be seen when 65W high beams aren't?

If it is dark enough to warrant lights or safety concerns require it or it is raining just turn on your lights and get 360 degree coverage instead of dim headlights...
Well I would argue the fact that the lights are on is more thing to catch your eye when you look for other cars. I know I have come across gray cars that blend right in without lights one. But, in the end, it is not a 100% promise you will or will not see a car with DRLs or any other kind of light.

I too see people who do not turn their lights on because they think they are already on. But, that said, if these people used AUTO then they would probably be OK[ U]most[/U] of the time.

I confess...I have falled victim to that in the past when I drove a car that did not have DRLs! It was just the fact that the street lights were so bright you felt it was day. Oye!

The "Lights on when raining (in NYS it is when your wipers are on)" law does not require tail lights. I know that bothers some people on this forum. Someone mentioned having the tail lights on at a reduced wattage and I think that would be a great idea. That way if the DRLs are on so are the "taillight DRLs."

But with all of this, I have to ask myself how we ever survived in the past when there were no DRLs? Sometimes I feel like these safety features are to make up for operator failures. The problem is, we probably wont be at the point where the operator is longer responsible for quite some time.

Honestly, I worry more about the people running stop lights/signs than having lights on during the day.

Oh well, end of my random thoughts on the subject.

Over and out RedLdr

Quick Reply: DRLs OFF Software Option Question

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands