ECO A/C Mode impact on MPG

Old 07-19-2006, 08:58 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default ECO A/C Mode impact on MPG

So I have read a few threads ont he A/C and it seems that many say that ECO mode gives better MPG, but at what cost? Has anyone tried to determien the impact of ECO mode? And what exactly is ECO mode doing differently? I ask becasue I liek the interior temp cool. I typically leave my temp on LO and vary the fan speed. I have a TCH coming next week and am concerned that I may have to sacrifice comfort for MPG. My goal is to get at least 30-32 MPG consitently. In ATL the humidity is a killer, i will have tinted windows. I drive 18 miles each way to work in varied 40-60 MPH driving. Even in the AM the A/C is often needed for dehumidification, in the PM it needs to really crank for a while to get my cars comfortable, then I typically clcik the fan speend down to 3 out of 7, but leave the temp on LO. I use the recycle setting 95%. Are my expectations of 32MPG and a cool cabin unrealistic?

Old 07-19-2006, 09:24 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: ECO A/C Mode impact on MPG

You should be able to exceed 32mpg without problems even with the A/C running. Your drive is long enough (18 miles) to warm up the engine and get great mileage. I notice about a 3 mpg hit when I run the A/C in the afternoon. Mornings are high 60s to low 70s lately and I can get by without A/C. Keep in mind a temp of LO overrides ECO. You have to keep the temp 66F or higher to use ECO mode.

I find moderate acceleration gives better mpg than slowly accelerating. Try and conserve momentum, brake lightly and early if needed so regen captures most of the energy. If traffic allows it, let your speed build on the downhills, and slowly drop back to your normal speed going back up hill.

I had my windows tinted to help with the heat and really like the results. I don't even notice the sun on my arm anymore! I had Formula One Pinnacle 35% tint on the sides and rear. It blocks 50% of the heat and 99.5% of the UV. Great stuff.

Old 07-19-2006, 09:28 AM
Enthusiast

Get the car and enjoy it. The AC will not be a problem. I live in Tennessee and the AC cools the car very quickly and I have not put the tint on yet.

When you get the car put it in Eco mode and you will never know the difference. I have no idea what it does, but my car is cool w/ it on so I assume it is helping the MPG and to me it doesn't cost me anything.

Also w/ the length of your drive and the reasonably high speeds your mileage will easily be over 32. I am getting about 37 in my 5 mile commute that never reaches highway speeds (usually less than 35 mph). On the highway I usually get 40+ mpg.

Last edited by kahlon; 07-19-2006 at 09:30 AM.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:31 AM

I believe the ECO mode causes the A/C compressor to run strictly on the batteries rather than the engine.

Old 07-19-2006, 10:34 AM
Enthusiast

The absolute worst case mileage I can get with the TCH is 36. This means full AC, full electronics, lights, everything, at 80+ MPH. I have never seen it go below that consistantly (obviously going uphill and accelerating temporarily drives it down to the 10MPG range, but that is balanced out by 60+ periods going downhill or flat)

Old 07-19-2006, 03:24 PM
WVGasGuy

We have been having 86 to 90+ humid weather in WV lately and I have not seen a loss of A/C effeciency while in the ECO mode. I'm not sure why you'd run it in anything else. Then again I guess if you're really watching the screen closely and if you notice that the ICE is driving both the wheels and charging you could switch the ECO off and utilize the excess hp from the ICE to drive the A/C and save some of the discharge from the battery. I'm not sure what that would really help but I guess someone on here will.

I'll continue to drive in ECO.

Old 07-19-2006, 08:59 PM

The TCH A/C compressor is electric and run off the same high voltage system as the motor. There is no belt or physical connection between the ICE and the A/C compressor. The ICE powers the compressor by charging the batteries. I believe ECO changes the cycling of the A/C to longer cycles (both on and off.) Really spiffy system, and totally cool (pun intended) for the A/C to work even when the ICE is off.

Old 07-19-2006, 09:01 PM

I do find it anoying that the ECO switch is hiding to the left of the steering wheel. What's up with that?

Old 07-20-2006, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by Freeze
I do find it anoying that the ECO switch is hiding to the left of the steering wheel. What's up with that?
It's right next to the fuel filler door release button. They put it there to make it easy to accidentally shut off ECO mode when you go to fill up.

Old 07-20-2006, 04:45 AM

I found the opposite. It's there to get you to press the fuel filler door button when you mean to push ECO. I did it twice the first week I owned the car!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ECO A/C Mode impact on MPG

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands