Tools:

bright pen light and work lamp or headlamp
pliers
10 mm socket
6” socket extension
ratchet
small flat screwdriver
scissors

The elusive installation hole for the block heater.

Loosen the two screws that secure the air filter box cover.
Loosen the clamp (3).
Disconnect the sensor (1).
On the back side of (2), use the screwdriver to push the two prongs towards the center of the clip and you should be able to pop the clip out and separate it from the air filter box cover.
1 and 3 are pretty snug and take some effort to disconnect.
Remove the entire cover and set it aside.

Behind the box is a hose clamp (1).
Lift its tab with the screwdriver and it should release the hose.

Loosen the 3 bolts and remove the box.

The installation hole should be visible now.

Close-up view.

Once the installation hole is exposed, the actual installation is fairly straightforward.

I had to apply the grease to the heater itself because I couldn’t easily reach the hole. I used about 2/3rds of the tube and it was a bit too much so I’d recommend ½ a tube. I did not have the cord attached to the heater when I inserted it but I suspect it may be easier to insert the heater with the cord attached. The heater inserted with the clip facing the rear of the car. I felt and heard a snap so I assume it’s in.

Special thanks to JOE540CI for the part number and the general location of the block heater. And to my friend George who perused the service manual to help locate the install site despite not even owning a Toyota.

Old 03-25-2007, 08:16 PM
Malcontent
Default Re: Engine block heater installation instructions

It's been powered on for a few hours now and I went to check that my car wasn't on fire. The engine block is hot to the touch. The ScanGauge said the coolant temperature (or whatever fWT is) was 125F. The hood was up the whole time so it could get warmer.

Old 03-25-2007, 09:00 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Awesome!!! It doesn't sound hard at all....thank you Squint

Old 03-26-2007, 06:53 AM

Yes, this is great information !! Well Done Squint and thanks much !!

Old 03-26-2007, 08:45 AM
Malcontent

The actual procedure itself isn't hard. Figuring out where and how to install the heater took a lot of time. I did a lot of unnecessary exploratory disassembly. At least I'm a lot more familiar with the car now.

Coolant temperature was 145F this morning when I started the car.

Old 03-26-2007, 08:18 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the details. What was your outside temp during the test? I used to have a block heater in my previous car when I lived in South Dakota (got to 61 below zero one night without windchill!). But this was a plug into a house electrical outnet near the car that I only plugged in when it got below zero or 20 below (I forget the temp that was used to trigger it). I presume this one is also plugged into household electricity? Does the manual tell you when to activate it?

Old 03-27-2007, 06:39 AM
Malcontent

I think it was around 50-60F at the time.

I set the timer to turn on the heater 2 hours before my morning commute. When I started the car, it was only at around 105F so I think I'm going to have it turn on 3 hours before driving. Overnight temperatures were in the 40s. The garage is fairly good at retaining heat though.

I still managed to get the highest ever FE for my morning commute but I also had the first oil change yesterday (0W20 Mobil1).

The car seems to like to maintain the coolant temperature at 190F so unless the ambient temperature is 190F, I'm going to use the block heater whenever possible.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:53 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hey,
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I have a question. That part number you posted above:

00213-00885

Is that all we need? Is this essentially a kit with the thermal grease and all?

What are the benefits of this heater? I know, obviously to warm the engine up faster to achieve here FE. However, is the improvement of FE significant enough to warrant a heater? In kansas city, we have gotten 12 degrees F in the morning when I go to school. Will this assist the car to get warmer quicker?

Thanks everyone, Paul

Old 12-08-2008, 02:19 AM

My dealer had to order the block heater from a Toyota California warehouse. Retail $59.38, Net $38.49. The parts man let me have it for the net price dated 08/23/07.

I had asked for a block heater for the TCH. They got one in and had to send it back saying it was incomplete. Something about a shorter cord. The parts man said this was the correct number when it arrive a few days later. I can't find the box it came in to confirm this same number on the receipt.
The part number on my receipt is 00113-00213-00889 Pyroil Engine HEA

I was quoted by the service department something like $150 if they did the install. Something about a $89 per hour labor charge.

What the heck, I decided to do it myself. Any problems, I would simply put it back together then take the car to them for the installation.

I found the most time spent was removing the lower body of the air cleaner. I used the entire tube of heat grease carefully coating the element before inserting into the block. I did the installation at night as it was easier to see using the bright drop light.

The element install itself took about a minute. Routing the cable with ties was no problem. The air cleaner box went back a little faster than removing it. I was careful to remember to plug the air cleaner temp sensor back in including the air intake clamp.

The block heater works fine. Most times when plugged up for 3 hours, it brings the heat gauge up to 1/4 scale. The car heats up to near normal in about a quarter mile or so. Naturally on a really cold day (low 30's F) it takes a little longer. I would say the block heater cuts the engine warm up time in half.

Last edited by rburt07; 12-08-2008 at 02:30 AM.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:57 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rburt07
My dealer had to order the block heater from a Toyota California warehouse. Retail $59.38, Net $38.49. The parts man let me have it for the net price dated 08/23/07.

I had asked for a block heater for the TCH. They got one in and had to send it back saying it was incomplete. Something about a shorter cord. The parts man said this was the correct number when it arrive a few days later. I can't find the box it came in to confirm this same number on the receipt.
The part number on my receipt is 00113-00213-00889 Pyroil Engine HEA

I was quoted by the service department something like $150 if they did the install. Something about a $89 per hour labor charge.

What the heck, I decided to do it myself. Any problems, I would simply put it back together then take the car to them for the installation.

Thanks! So, you are saying that the above part number is a kit, correct? I will not need to buy any thermal grease or screws or wires because everything is in there. see my above questions about it's effectivenesses in my situation. What do you think? Thanks, Paul

I found the most time spent was removing the lower body of the air cleaner. I used the entire tube of heat grease carefully coating the element before inserting into the block. I did the installation at night as it was easier to see using the bright drop light.

The element install itself took about a minute. Routing the cable with ties was no problem. The air cleaner box went back a little faster than removing it. I was careful to remember to plug the air cleaner temp sensor back in including the air intake clamp.

The block heater works fine. Most times when plugged up for 3 hours, it brings the heat gauge up to 1/4 scale. The car heats up to near normal in about a quarter mile or so. Naturally on a really cold day (low 30's F) it takes a little longer. I would say the block heater cuts the engine warm up time in half.

Quick Reply: Engine block heater installation instructions

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands