Error code P0AFA after replacing cells in battery

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 12:11 PM
Enthusiast
Default Error code P0AFA after replacing cells in battery

Need some help. I replaced two cells that were low (6ish instead of 8ish) in the battery, but when I plugged everything back up I get this message:

P0AFA Hybrid Battery System Voltage Low

Car wont start at all now (Was starting with gas only and throwing error code P0A80 Replace Hybrid Battery Pack before I attempted the fix)

I will be pulling it apart again today and checking everything, but there seems to be very little info on what to do after you replace cells to ensure everything is in place as it should be.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Also when everything is plugged up, what/where should I check the voltage at to ensure its the proper reading? I tried the cable that actually comes from the vehicle that connects to the battery but it didn't read anything, so I must be checking incorrectly

Last edited by ltdan; 04-20-2016 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:23 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Error code P0AFA after replacing cells in battery

EDIT: Also when everything is plugged up, what/where should I check the voltage at to ensure its the proper reading? I tried the cable that actually comes from the vehicle that connects to the battery but it didn't read anything, so I must be checking incorrectly
To check the pack voltage, you have to probe the +ve and -ve terminals that connect to the relay assembly(with the service plug in). I must warn that you must have proper gloves on and adhere to strick safety precautions.

Old 01-18-2017, 05:41 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Error code P0AFA after replacing cells in battery

Hopefully, he's figured it out after 9 months.

It's likely an issue with failing to connect the sensor harness plug into the battery computer.