Front turn signals - TAKE TO DEALER?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 05:51 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Front turn signals - TAKE TO DEALER?

Anyone need to replace one of these bulbs yet? I went to do it and couldn't find a "friendly" way in so I thought 'why not check the manual'.... Well, it says 'TAKE IT TO THE DEALER!!!!'

The on-line bulb source says its a standard 3057 style bulb. Go to the dealer to replace a turn signal bulb? In my HCH I would have to take the wheel well protector off (in the well - just plastic pins) and thought THAT was a pain.

Hopefully someone else out there has an easy answer for the "dim" DIY person.

Thanks

Old 07-31-2007, 06:06 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Front turn signals - TAKE TO DEALER?

I have service manual in PDF format but kind of busy right now to look it up and not sure how would I upload it here, if I don't see anybody else helping you by tomorrow I will try to find it.

Old 08-01-2007, 05:05 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks. I don't have a service manual (just the owners) so I can't find out why it needs to go to the dealer - other than you have to remove the fender to change the bulb!

I appreciate you help. Is the service manual out there online somewhere? I've seen listings for copies of some but i don't need to get too granular on repairs (like replacing suspension and stuff). Just the day-to-day maintenance outside of oil changes, etc. Must be a special procedure to get to some of these things.

Again, thanks!

Old 08-01-2007, 11:31 AM
SPL

meerkat — Here's what I can find in the TCH Repair Manual. LI-01to05.pdf gives general information on lighting. LI-60to61.pdf shows how to remove the front lamp module, and LI-66to67.pdf shows how to reinstall it. Most importantly, ET-03to04.pdf shows how to remove the front bumper in order to get access to the lamp module! Surprising but true! I would hope that this doesn't have to be done often.

Stan

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
LI-01to05.pdf (248.4 KB, 88 views)
LI-60to61.pdf (243.2 KB, 86 views)
LI-66to67.pdf (245.5 KB, 91 views)
ET-03to04.pdf (278.0 KB, 84 views)
Old 08-01-2007, 11:49 AM
Enthusiast

That is absurd that you have to remove the bumper to repace a turn signal bulb. Looks like they are trying to make you use the dealer on all repairs. I may have to re-think my choice to purchase a TCH.

Old 08-02-2007, 04:56 AM
Active Enthusiast

Wow, I would agree it is absurd to have to remove the bumper for a simple light bulb replacement, ridiculous...

Old 08-02-2007, 06:23 AM
Active Enthusiast

Well, when I had my HCH (before I saw the light) you had to remove the inner fender/whell well guard to replace the turn & the low beam. I found out too that to remove the grille on the TCH you also need to remove the bumper to get to two little screws. I had a body shop remove the grille ($70) for me (they R&R the bumper and took the grille off for me to gold plate/paint on my own). They were going to charge me another $70 to re-install the grille since it required R&R of the bumper again. I decided to install the newly plated/painted grille without the two little screws since they do not really provide any special moutning purpose (that I can see).

Although a pain for simple tasks, i imagine that it mirrors the times with some GM cars where you had to loosen the motor mount in order to get to changing a spark plug!

I'll put in an LED light and hope it outlives me!!

Old 08-02-2007, 07:01 AM
Camry Freak

I was really upset when I read that you were supposed to "take it to the dealer" for a front turn signal bulb change.

The only thing that makes me feel any better is that my previous car, a 1998 Camry, went over 8 years and 110,000 miles without ever needing a front signal change.

(And because that car didn't have daytime running lights, I always had the headlamps on.)

Last edited by 07CamHybrid; 08-02-2007 at 07:06 AM.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:23 PM
TCH 2007 newbie May 07

meerkat - why did you decide not to reinstall the two screws? Would this result in less work for future bulb changes? Just want to know should I have to travel down that road.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:47 PM

Just the side note about those bumpers on newer cars, they are easier to take out, than it may seem, few screws, few fasteners and it's done. If you're too lazy to do it, find some city bus and get next to it when he makes turn, if you're lucky, he will rip it off for you, like they did to my older Honda, didn't even stop. Lucky enough all I had to do is put it back with just small scratch on the corner. Would the light bulb be covered under 36k basic warranty? Even if it wasn't, if the car had low miles I would argue it had to be some defect from factory and have them check for water leaks, short etc. but I know what you guys mean about going to the dealer, waste of time and in my area you need to make appointment few days ahead.

Quick Reply: Front turn signals - TAKE TO DEALER?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands